The online racing simulator
Test Patch 0.6P2 (now P9)
(262 posts, closed, started )
@Scawen : Small suggestion for next update, can you make steering smoothing option dependant of the controller used and move it to the Controls menu ? I have a DualShock 3 controller that need 95% smoothing, while I also play with my G25 (when I have the motivation to connect it) with smoothing disabled.

Thanks, and keep it up Smile
Noticed that my F710 does not always shift up or shift down, when pressing buttons.
There is 2 reasons for that:

1. Buttons are worn out, and not function properly.
2. it is LFS-sided issue.

It is actually happened since controllers got update, but did not notice until now. Going to do further investigation in next week.

EDIT: Did make btw some investigations about this:

I tried several other games, including Forza, Rocket League, and some PS1-2 games with my controller, all they did work well, all buttons did function properly, and stopped working simply when out of connection ( wireless controller )

in LFS, this does happen. I have to suspect that number 2 is the thing which causes this.

Can someone else reproduce same thing?

It's like LFS can't recognize enough fast buttons, have to hold buttons at least half of second, when it simply happens. Any clue, or any possibilities to solve this?

In earlier versions of LFS, no problem! hmmh... Sometimes when I am pressing shift up or down, sometimes it changes from gear 3 to 5 and vice versa for example, skipping one gear, happens on all cars.

I use Win10 64-bit, also I do use DirectInput ( Xinput mode does not work properly for my taste ). LFS is installed correctly, no other custom things, vanilla ( except textures )

It makes no effect what is minimum time of gear change.

Yeah, Controller is Logitech F710, I have no other controllers
hmmm i see this problem (my 3gear down to 1gear like crazy)is not from my controller,thank you for the info UnknownMaster21. Scawen i have simple request, something like when we press ctrl+shift to see usenames but with "license tag before name" s1,s2 or s3. at the moment server admin cant open s3 track because dont know how many guys have s3 or s2 and is really bad kick people by changed track. i think this is really usefull and respectful.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :Noticed that my F710 does not always shift up or shift down, when pressing buttons.
There is 2 reasons for that:

1. Buttons are worn out, and not function properly.
2. it is LFS-sided issue.

I've noticed something truly weird on several occasions with my G27, but it's intermittent and so I've never been able to work out a cause and have therefore never reported it. However, this post makes me wonder if it's connected...

Now and then when I pull the paddle to shift, mostly (always?) up-shifts, I get a brief raise in the revs but no up-shift - rather like a botched manual shift where the clutch wasn't down fully and the driver couldn't mechanically pull the gear lever across. The revs clearly respond so the program has noticed a button press...

It has probably happened maybe 20 times in total, spread over many months.

My previous wheel had a switch bounce problem (fixed by replacing a faulty switch) on down-shifts (lethal to engine) but I was able to mitigate that somewhat by using the debounce delay option. Very clearly a wheel issue, unlike the weirdness on my current wheel.

This problem is weird and I have no clue about what could be causing it other than a bug...? Surely the game doesn't produce bad shifts if the button isn't down for long enough?

I am not sure it has ever happened in single player or the SPR would perhaps be enlightening. Not certain I ever checked an MPR for it but I guess it would be useless anyway.
Select audio device is a very welcome addition for those with multiple soundcards Smile . The soft lock is nice. I think the g27 uses the spring to limit lock, so it feels harder than the motors.

As far as the shifting issue, (not related to patch) I've only encountered problems in FBM and FJR and only upshifts. I think shifting 2 gears at a time could be a controller issue.
Quote from Neilser :I've noticed something truly weird on several occasions with my G27, but it's intermittent and so I've never been able to work out a cause and have therefore never reported it. However, this post makes me wonder if it's connected...

Now and then when I pull the paddle to shift, mostly (always?) up-shifts, I get a brief raise in the revs but no up-shift - rather like a botched manual shift where the clutch wasn't down fully and the driver couldn't mechanically pull the gear lever across. The revs clearly respond so the program has noticed a button press...

It has probably happened maybe 20 times in total, spread over many months.

My previous wheel had a switch bounce problem (fixed by replacing a faulty switch) on down-shifts (lethal to engine) but I was able to mitigate that somewhat by using the debounce delay option. Very clearly a wheel issue, unlike the weirdness on my current wheel.

This problem is weird and I have no clue about what could be causing it other than a bug...? Surely the game doesn't produce bad shifts if the button isn't down for long enough?

I am not sure it has ever happened in single player or the SPR would perhaps be enlightening. Not certain I ever checked an MPR for it but I guess it would be useless anyway.

Don't worry, this bug has been in LFS since forever, it has been reported many years ago with no official answer...

You can reproduce it very easily using the FO8, upshifting to 3rd gear while on rev-limiter. It has something to do with the torque the engine produces and the air resistance, you can also see it on Kyoto oval trying to upshift to the car's top gear.

It is also quite related to your driving style, I can get it several times in a row (specially useful at race start when you get passed by everyone...) while other people hardly ever hit the required conditions.
Ahhh, OK, thanks Smile
Quote from Neilser :Ahhh, OK, thanks Smile

That happens even more often, if using restricted air-intake. Change gears on lower rpm in that case.

EDIT: I did not even knew it is bug, I thought it is on purpose, but then again, thinking about that, it makes no reasonably sense, unless someone can tell one.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :That happens even more often, if using restricted air-intake. Change gears on lower rpm in that case.

EDIT: I did not even knew it is bug, I thought it is on purpose, but then again, thinking about that, it makes no reasonably sense, unless someone can tell one.

It doesn't make sense to be a feature. On downshifts, if your car has over-revving protection it won't try to downshift and then stay on the same gear, it would just do nothing.

I don't know why LFS does some trickery in the gearbox when our inputs are as simple as "upshift now". I understand the other bug, where H-pattern gearboxes can end in neutral gear if your inputs are timed correctly.
On FBM it's not a bug, you upshift without clutch, so you have to lift for a moment, otherwise the gears are engaged so hard, that they will not allow the change.

Not sure about other cars, I thought clutch-less shifting was done only for FBM. So ... yeah, you are probably talking about something different. I'm adding this just in case somebody new to FBM will think he has a problem with the game.
FBM doesn't have throttle cut-off like his bigger brothers, so you have to do it manually, but the gear shift itself is done the same way AFAIK.
Yeah I believe people are talking about cars with automatic ignition cut where you don't have to release throttle yourself, computer just cuts the ignition for you. But I have experienced it as well when you try to shift, the game briefly cuts ignition but the shift doesn't happen.
PS: my problem with gears is on XRT
hmm, I feel it is going to take some time in big time.

EDIT: ( pressed submit too quickly, by accidentally ). I was going to also say that once we have those gearing problems, is still anyone even thought about potential reasons for these errors?

Tuesday will be a racing day for me in LFS, problems did occur when need to "shift up fast"
I guess this is the best place as from a search the look function was changed in a recent patch.

I have a little issue, I normally race with mouse however the other day I plugged my old wheel in (Logitech DFP if it matters/helps?), LFS auto detected it great and set everything up for me.

However I have now just launched LFS for the first time since and set my controls back to mouse/kb all's fine control setting wise, however the look function has defaulted to joystick with the drivers head looking 45 degrees to the left, can adjust by moving the rotate view slider to 45 but then I can't look right.. Can't test if I can reset it by using an actual joystick/controller as I don't have one here with the laptop.

I actually can't remember what the default view setting is for this and trying them all, I can't get it back to a static forward view.

Edit - this SS is what it LFS defaulted it too
Attached images
lfs_00000080.jpg
I feel like this has happened to me before, I don't think the recent updates caused this.

At the bottom, 'look function' should be button.

In the controls menu under the axis tab one can select/edit the axis used for 'look'.
Did a race about 10 minutes ago, car was XR GTR, same specs...

It did several times to skip a gear from any gear, when shifting up ( simply skips gear between one )...

It did not happen much where it did not shift at all, few times only.

It did happen at least once when downshifting, it skips a gear ( almost over rev engine )

DRAT, I forgot to save replay... oh well...
That sounds exactly like a switch bounce problem (so you should try the gearshift debounce delay).
I think devs working on surprise

No problems for me Smile on this test patch

It's alfull quiet here from devs (must be summer times)

But I hope for an nice surprise
Quote from Neilser :That sounds exactly like a switch bounce problem (so you should try the gearshift debounce delay).

did not catch that enough, can you give more details of?
From the wiki

Quote :Gearshift debounce:
Sets the time in milliseconds that must elapse before another (sequential) gear change is accepted. On some wheels when they get old, the paddles start to sometimes report two very quick presses instead of one. This setting tries to cure the annoying behaviour by ignoring quick shift commands. If you suffer from these so called double shifts, increase this value - if on the other hand you seem to miss gear shifts when quickly shifting yourself, decrease it.

It is in miscellaneous options.
Quote from bobloblaw :From the wiki

It is in miscellaneous options.

Exactly... It did not make any difference at all. BTW, I even tried it, and...

Quote from UnknownMaster21 :

It makes no effect what is minimum time of gear change.

As I am mentioned this twice.
I'm baffled. Reading your earlier post, you seem to be suffering from both issues - sometimes it shifts twice, sometimes not at all.

When you say "It makes no effect", do you really mean that if you set it to the maximum (can't recall how big that is, but pretty damn big, I thought) you can still shift twice within that delay? This would imply that the delay isn't working at all.
Quote from bobloblaw :I feel like this has happened to me before, I don't think the recent updates caused this.

At the bottom, 'look function' should be button.

In the controls menu under the axis tab one can select/edit the axis used for 'look'.

That appears to be what it was, Plugging the wheel in or out must have changed something (or coincidence?) anyway selecting Axis previously had the view looking at the roof lining with no way of moving it (only mouse), manually clicking the select look axis and pressing to delete to remove/reset it has worked ty.
This thread is closed

Test Patch 0.6P2 (now P9)
(262 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG