The online racing simulator
''Enjoy LFS while you're hyped, m8, but dont come here here lecturing about how its better then this and that, we know about it, we lived it through the good times! Now you just can't compare an old simple game with the new complex and detailed rivals, because they are not even in the same league.''

But the interface is probably the best I've seen.

I was saying that these new games could benefit from similar implementation also - in my opinion.
I have no intention of bashing other games.
Project cars of course looks better - but it doesn't run as well and the interface is not as user friendly and instant.

Quote from Ingolf :Yes, I agree with you MysticReverie. LFS is a solid piece of code/art. That's why it's been going strong for so many years. Welcome to the forum!

ThanksSmile

I think you summed up my sentiments in one line - a solid piece of code/art.
That's what I like
Quote from GAVD999 :Fanboyism won't save LFS I quite agree, but what will? No one buys any more licences the money will eventually run out then no more LFS full stop. We all know it desperately needs content but that is out of our control.

What would help is getting some hype built up and keeping things moving at a consistent pace, for example the Westhill update, then Rockingham release both great but they where too far apart with no previews or anything in between so interest peaks up then fades away again shortly afterwards.

A true progress report every few months, even every 6 months showing some previews into what is being worked on (content wise) would really help put some faith back into the community and get people talking about LFS again.

I agree, and I think LFS right now is sort of a dev personal hobby which you can't predict or participate, just to accept as it is.

I mean when a developer is stubborn into one way of thinking and working on his project, you can't argue on anything as a community memeber, this is not like other modern sim approach with their playerbase, they developed a sort of exchanging service relationalship, the studio trying to keep developing in a continuous pace to satisfy their consumers, where the community has the role of helping, organizing, support or even beta testing or modding if available....

And yet Scawen seem (IMO) to not managing his project as a serious company, I know this is his business and I won't sticking my nose any further ( but as a player of a massive multiplayer game, we somehow are participating into it ), but as many old or new simracers I don't expect too much from this kind of approach
Quote from JBiturbo :...and coincidence, S3 was released right before Xmas, cause maybe money was tight and they need to raid their faithfull LFS fanboys for a last loot for Xmas presents!...

What to say about when they released WestHill ... for free.

For S3 plans, it sounds pretty clear that Eric is doing at least another track that may be quite advanced (but yes ... without some snapshots at least ... the doubt may remain Tongue ), and Scawen has its forever goal to "fix" as far as it is possible the tyre physics before giving us a bunch of new cars.

Let's have faith ! And even if it is going bad, no matter, I had fun discovering the great Rockingham in a masterpiece of software (honestly, loading a track, and changing from car to car to test them without having to reload the whole thing is superb ... AC and RBR make me go mad about this Big grin )
I just dont get why many of you defend the devs blindlessly, when they clearly have a bad business startegy...

It seems to be the trend nowadays, CHARGE NOW and GET CONTENT LATER!! Wow...or BUY THE GAME IN ALPHA and wait endlessly till its finished or not. Once the money is on their side, what is their real motivation???

Im sure you guys know that i loved LFS for many years, otherwise i wouldn't be here talking about it. Its because i love it that i get sad and frustrated to see how its been handled over this ladt decade.

Im sorry but dX9 and VR support are not that important things, because they contradict the LFS "principales". LFS is built on an old graphics engine that alows even the crapiest PC to run it properly, and thats been said a million times in the forum. The goal on not upgrading it too far, was to make it available to everyone with not so optimal conditions. Now, I dunno about you guys, but i wouldn't spend 300€ on an oculus rift when i have a crapy PC...i would just take that money and upgrade it. And the real diference between Dx8 to Dx9 its not even that noticable.

Its the priorities that are all wrong. All the comunity was asking was new content, new cars and new tracks. If the game is already excelent, why focus on not so important upgrades? Im not blaming Scawen for developing the new tyre physics, but cmon guys, we all know the "standard" ones are already fantastic. The devs could easely, in this last decade, make new content and work on the physics on spare time. And besides that, its Scawen that is developing the tyre physics, not Eric. Why didn't Eric, the 3D guy, designed new content while Scawen was doing his thing?

Notice this guys, im not here to bash on you or be a troll, i just don't get why you are so fanatic about this issue!

This is a great sim game that we love, but its also and ultimately a business, and we are the costumers. We have a say in this because without us, there is no LFS. And like any other business, you gotta aim to please your costumer, listen to him, to its needs and worries, and just plan and evolve acordingly. Otherwise, sooner or later, your business will eventualy fail.
Quote from JBiturbo :they clearly have a bad business startegy...

...and I'll sort of repeat my previous post - they obviously not making LFS to get stunning rich (unlike americans at iPaying and italians who both are making their sims for exactly that reason),otherwise we would already have S5/S6 out (with rushed quality).

I'm not a fanboy,who will defend devs at any costs,I would also have seen developement running different road,but still - LFS is one of the best sims around. It does not have tons of kids-wet-dream-cars and extremely polished up graphics,that will bite out chunks out of every mid-range computer and spit it in garbage can like AC does,neither it has a huge paying userbase,who will pay and pay just to stay in game. LFS offers simplicity,effectiveness and great control over your client or server if you're a hoster. Unfortunatelly people nowadays prefer the shiny exotic cars or being one of many users of a very popular sim without worrying about costs as people are used to pay subscriptions basically in every gaming genre...
So I'll stay and will keep racing as long as there are any events and few other fanatics to race with. If we have some new toys in future (wink wink like one of those crazy 1000HP CART cars from late 90ies wink wink) - for me it is already a bonus!
I guess some people see it different ways JB, you obviously want to hold out paying until they get something else released, others decided to put a little faith in and give them a boost in cashflow, it's not as if they are releasing update after update and charging for it, another £12.00 after 10 years of use is not bad is it? I'll spend more than that on the first round in the pub tonight watching England... not sure if that counts as entertainment knowing England though lol
Quote from JBiturbo :CHARGE NOW and GET CONTENT LATER!!

You're still missing this point. Rockingham was sat there gathering dust and now those who want it can have it, those who don't want it have nothing to complain about, and this was clearly stated. It's not so much "content later" as it is "Rockingham now".

Quote from JBiturbo :Im sorry but dX9 and VR support are not that important things

VR is important to appeal to a new, emerging market. DX9 is a step towards the blingyness that attracts people to all those games with wet-fish physics. Both are steps towards long-term goals, ie, the caring you deny exists.

Quote from JBiturbo :Why didn't Eric, the 3D guy, designed new content while Scawen was doing his thing?

Westhill? That's clearly multiple times the development work required for other tracks, btw. There are two more tracks in the advanced stages of completion too.

Quote from JBiturbo :Notice this guys, im not here to bash on you or be a troll

Accusing the devs of not giving a shit contradicts this statement. There is a world of difference between not choosing the route you'd choose, and not caring.

Quote from JBiturbo :This is a great sim game that we love, but its also and ultimately a business, and we are the costumers. We have a say in this because without us, there is no LFS. And like any other business, you gotta aim to please your costumer, listen to him, to its needs and worries, and just plan and evolve acordingly. Otherwise, sooner or later, your business will eventualy fail.

It is ultimately their project. They could close down the master server and keep it going as a hobby just for the three of them if they so chose, they owe us nothing. They sell it because they choose to sell it. You can buy it or not, but you buy the right to use it, not a seat on the board.

Quote from JBiturbo :i just don't get why you are so fanatic about this issue!

Me personally, I just get sick of this "customer is always right, gimme gimme now now!" crap... even though I may get caught up in it myself from time to time Wink
''Now, I dunno about you guys, but i wouldn't spend 300€ on an oculus rift when i have a crapy PC...i would just take that money and upgrade it.''

I don't have a crappy pc, but its a 970m sli (dual graphics card) set up.
The minimum recommended Graphics card for Oculus is a 970, so my specs are a bit under the requirement because Oculus does not use the dual graphics card set up very well. I think I'd have to use one graphics card only if using an Oculus.
Also, VR is in early stages of development, and even with a very powerful computer, we are not getting 1080p visuals yet.

So, I think I'd rather keep the computer I have, and get a used Oculus DK2, because it runs so well on LFS and isn't that far behind the Oculus CV1 in quality.

Thanks to LFS's excellent Oculus Rift optimization, I and many others are able to enjoy VR, when on most other games you'd have to have a better rig.

I may agree with you about the amount of content available for this game considering its age though.
But I guess it depends how long ago S2 was released?

S3 is quite a recent addition I think, so hopefully there will be more to come.
Quote from Eclipsed :...and I'll sort of repeat my previous post - they obviously not making LFS to get stunning rich (unlike americans at iPaying and italians who both are making their sims for exactly that reason),otherwise we would already have S5/S6 out (with rushed quality).

I'm not a fanboy,who will defend devs at any costs,I would also have seen developement running different road,but still - LFS is one of the best sims around. It does not have tons of kids-wet-dream-cars and extremely polished up graphics,that will bite out chunks out of every mid-range computer and spit it in garbage can like AC does,neither it has a huge paying userbase,who will pay and pay just to stay in game. LFS offers simplicity,effectiveness and great control over your client or server if you're a hoster. Unfortunatelly people nowadays prefer the shiny exotic cars or being one of many users of a very popular sim without worrying about costs as people are used to pay subscriptions basically in every gaming genre...
So I'll stay and will keep racing as long as there are any events and few other fanatics to race with. If we have some new toys in future (wink wink like one of those crazy 1000HP CART cars from late 90ies wink wink) - for me it is already a bonus!

It's not like we're not paying for DLC's in LFS right ?

So here we are, us bunch of fanatics praising our sim and watching our (nearly) empty servers list with proudly eyes, the "simplicity,effectiveness and great control over your client or server" seems like not nearly enough to revive LFS, so wtf is lacking in our perfect sim ?

LFS now is basically a "play or **** off" mentality, so people picked the second option and they are actually enjoying their "shitty sim" like some of elitist LFS users like to call them, and yet we're calling them "idiots" because they are blind or too retarded to understand the greatness of LFS....

How can an massive multiplayer sim survive without attracting people ? I can't really understand the lack of ambition from the devs and the community in LFS.... I'm sure we can have a decent sim with good graphics, physics and plenty of contents without necessarily a rushed quality or a series of expansives DLC's.

But gladly no one is hostage of one sim, so feel free to sink the ship.
Quote from Racon :You're still missing this point. Rockingham was sat there gathering dust and now those who want it can have it, those who don't want it have nothing to complain about, and this was clearly stated. It's not so much "content later" as it is "Rockingham now".

VR is important to appeal to a new, emerging market. DX9 is a step towards the blingyness that attracts people to all those games with wet-fish physics. Both are steps towards long-term goals, ie, the caring you deny exists.

Westhill? That's clearly multiple times the development work required for other tracks, btw. There are two more tracks in the advanced stages of completion too.

Accusing the devs of not giving a shit contradicts this statement. There is a world of difference between not choosing the route you'd choose, and not caring.

It is ultimately their project. They could close down the master server and keep it going as a hobby just for the three of them if they so chose, they owe us nothing. They sell it because they choose to sell it. You can buy it or not, but you buy the right to use it, not a seat on the board.

Me personally, I just get sick of this "customer is always right, gimme gimme now now!" crap... even though I may get caught up in it myself from time to time Wink

Cmon man, no offense, but you are defenitly the ultimate fanboy here, m8. You basicly choped every issue on my post, and gave to all a snippy awnser... Can you try to be objective for a little while? Do you really believe in every "comeback" you gave me?

Why release only Rockingham after 7 years of waiting, specialy if it was sitting there gathering dust? and more shocking, why charge for it? Didn't we wait enough? Should we really be charged as a whole racing pack for one track after all these years? for me that was a low blow from the devs, showed no respect for their community, for all the racers that stood year after year just waiting for something anounced in 2008 to come out. And as they saying goes " fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". So you get where im going with this.

VR is important? yes. DX9 is important? kinda, we are way passed that but still, its a step forward. Are both of these more important then new content? Absolutely no. And they didn't even need to rush anything out, 8 years its plenty for at least a well developed S3, like a handfull of new cars and 2 or 3 tracks ( at least ).

Yes, Westhill is nice, kudos to Eric. Credit given where credit is due.

About the costumer thing, i think we are well past the "gimme gimme now now", unless now means within an 8 year span. It was more like "Oh you have a new track and Scirocco almost ready to realese? Awsome, take your time and release it Devs!!"...but by take your time, nobody expeted 8 years, specially if the content was already made and we could even do skins for the scirocco and drool over it in LFSViewer.

M8, i understand your point of view. I dont agree with it, but i do understand it. You will enable any decision made by the devs, and rate it as the right one, no matter what, because in the end, they do whatever they want with LFS. You will wait whatever time its necessary for new content to get out, if it does come out at all. But reality tells me you will be feeling very lonely when it does, if it does, come out at all. Meanwhile a huge chunk of the comunity, unwillingly, moved on, myself included. And as the days, weeks, months, years go by, maybe even you will one day get tired. And all of this is a waste. Thats the bottom line. What a waist of a great sim, and great races that could take place here ( that once did took place and were epic! )

No need to always come back defending the devs, and turn on the guy whos not up for this show. A few of the guys here disagree with me, but they also understand my concerns.
@ JBiturbo: I can't agree more Smile, you explained the situation far better than me! Petals
There seems to be pretty much unanimous input that LFS IS a great piece of programming.
But there are also a lot of comments here saying it just hasn't been developed - or added too enough over the years.

So I guess it seems, the devs have done everything right... apart from develop and add to the game in a timely fashion?
Pretty much sums it up mate, it is hard to believe that S2 was released 11 years ago and sadly, content wise, not a great deal has been added in those 11 years, so you can see why people get a little frustrated.

To be fair Scawen has kept a steady enough stream of updates coming on the the sim itself and it has changed a lot from that side of things over the years, as said it's just content that's lacking and most of us old timers have simply over driven what we have.
Lol @ replies, you saved my day
@JBiturbo: Short version, as you wish: You'd've had a point, if you'd've had it a few years ago.
Dude, Scawen already said that Money won't effect the time or quality of content pushed out...
Quote from JBiturbo :Cmon man, no offense, but you are defenitly the ultimate fanboy here, m8. You basicly choped every issue on my post, and gave to all a snippy awnser... Can you try to be objective for a little while? Do you really believe in every "comeback" you gave me?

Why release only Rockingham after 7 years of waiting, specialy if it was sitting there gathering dust? and more shocking, why charge for it? Didn't we wait enough? Should we really be charged as a whole racing pack for one track after all these years? for me that was a low blow from the devs, showed no respect for their community, for all the racers that stood year after year just waiting for something anounced in 2008 to come out. And as they saying goes " fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". So you get where im going with this.

VR is important? yes. DX9 is important? kinda, we are way passed that but still, its a step forward. Are both of these more important then new content? Absolutely no. And they didn't even need to rush anything out, 8 years its plenty for at least a well developed S3, like a handfull of new cars and 2 or 3 tracks ( at least ).

Yes, Westhill is nice, kudos to Eric. Credit given where credit is due.

About the costumer thing, i think we are well past the "gimme gimme now now", unless now means within an 8 year span. It was more like "Oh you have a new track and Scirocco almost ready to realese? Awsome, take your time and release it Devs!!"...but by take your time, nobody expeted 8 years, specially if the content was already made and we could even do skins for the scirocco and drool over it in LFSViewer.

M8, i understand your point of view. I dont agree with it, but i do understand it. You will enable any decision made by the devs, and rate it as the right one, no matter what, because in the end, they do whatever they want with LFS. You will wait whatever time its necessary for new content to get out, if it does come out at all. But reality tells me you will be feeling very lonely when it does, if it does, come out at all. Meanwhile a huge chunk of the comunity, unwillingly, moved on, myself included. And as the days, weeks, months, years go by, maybe even you will one day get tired. And all of this is a waste. Thats the bottom line. What a waist of a great sim, and great races that could take place here ( that once did took place and were epic! )

No need to always come back defending the devs, and turn on the guy whos not up for this show. A few of the guys here disagree with me, but they also understand my concerns.

This whole statement is the best thing i've spent my 45 minute lunch break for the past 2 years reading on this Forums. this needs to be spread threw out the whole community. Me Personally, I bought S3 without actually reading the Forum post...and dont dare say nobody else didn't. But anyway, this needs to be spread!! #makelfsgreat again

The hashtag was horrible
There seems to be people arguing opinions against facts in this thread. If you take note of what is which, it might feel like less of an argument.

LFS doesn't release enough content / or fast enough.

Its pretty clear that S3 was intended to be released long ago. Scawen struggled with tyre physics, the community became hostile, and development essentially halted.

LFS devs should have the community dictate what they should work on.

LFS development started as a hobby and turned into an income, so its not accurate to say LFS wouldn't exist without the customers. However, the game would never have reached its peak in popularity without the community. Many users have put in a lot of work to further the popularity of LFS, and they feel let down by the developers. This is understandable, but it does not give anyone any say on how the game is managed. The developers are free to let the game die if they wish. There has never been a guarantee of further development.

VR / other feature is useless, devs should work on ...

VR is really what saved LFS from becoming abondonware. Scawen saw the potential and resumed work on the sim. VR has brought us improved graphics performance, which paves the way for improved graphics (and when the hardware requirements go up, we can see most of the illegal users left behind). VR will also attract many new players to the game. And lets be honest, since we are all seeking realism by playing a sim, VR is the way to go. At some point, playing LFS without a VR headset will be like playing it without a wheel .

What this all boils down to is this... We all want LFS to succeed. The road map for LFS has always been clear, but the map didn't show that we had to tunnel through a mountain to get there Thumbs up. We're all eagerly anticipating the completion of the unspoken (tyre physics). At that point, with only 1 version of the game to work on (as opposed to working on the new physics version, and the release version), we might be surprised by the flurry of updates!
yeah true
LFS is the best but i want sound update please
-
(TheNoobisonFire) DELETED by TheNoobisonFire : Late to the party...
At this point. All I want is a Statement from Scawen, or Eric or the other one in-which explaining why for 8 years S3 was in the works, and after the 8 year, they finally release S3 with one single **** Track
Quote from bobloblaw :
VR is really what saved LFS from becoming abondonware. Scawen saw the potential and resumed work on the sim. VR has brought us improved graphics performance, which paves the way for improved graphics (and when the hardware requirements go up, we can see most of the illegal users left behind). VR will also attract many new players to the game. And lets be honest, since we are all seeking realism by playing a sim, VR is the way to go. At some point, playing LFS without a VR headset will be like playing it without a wheel .

Please sir, can you call out 10 people on this Forum that owns a Oculus Rift. No, actually 5. Get five people to say they own a Oculus rift. If you can, then Ill take back all the stuff I said in my first post.
Quote from TheNoobisonFire :Please sir, can you call out 10 people on this Forum that owns a Oculus Rift. No, actually 5. Get five people to say they own a Oculus rift. If you can, then Ill take back all the stuff I said in my first post.

I'm thinking about getting one, lol
Quote from TheNoobisonFire :At this point. All I want is a Statement from Scawen, or Eric or the other one in-which explaining why for 8 years S3 was in the works, and after the 8 year, they finally release S3 with one single **** Track

Orly?

Quote from TheNoobisonFire :Personally, I bought S3 without actually reading the Forum post...

Doh!
Quote :Im sure you guys know that i loved LFS for many years, otherwise i wouldn't be here talking about it. Its because i love it that i get sad and frustrated to see how its been handled over this ladt decade.

Translated: Got bored of the game two years ago, wants times back that are past and wants to whine about it

Move on. Find another game to play. It's a big world with lots to do in it. Nobody cares about your disappointment.
Quote from TheNoobisonFire :Please sir, can you call out 10 people on this Forum that owns a Oculus Rift. No, actually 5. Get five people to say they own a Oculus rift. If you can, then Ill take back all the stuff I said in my first post.

I did not buy LFS because of Oculus support but I do have an Oculus DK2 if that counts Smile So that's one and judging from the LFS topic on the Oculus forum there are a number of people there who bought LFS because of the Oculus support.

Live for Speed - A lesson for all on how to do it Right
(99 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG