The online racing simulator
Mod Tracks
(43 posts, started )
Mod Tracks
Why has LFS not been opened to modded tracks? Content seems to be it's only real issue. With a steady supply of new tracks, surely sales would increase.
We already have new Westhill and Rockingham. Let's see this after seven years.

Also, there would be so many tracks no one could really drive them all, it's like a youtube.
As silly as I may sound, I think LFS has just enough content.
I also think LFS is about having a pretty (the most?) realistic driving experience, with all the effort and "research" that comes with it. By this I mean that only with few cars and tracks you can really focus, learn and become a better driver - still a loooong way for me, I know Smile

Take a myth-sim as GTL and its Altbierbude offer.
http://www.altbierbude.de/index.php?lang=en

Today they offer a staggering 2.500+ cars and 638 tracks!
Ok, choice is freedom, I'm not an anti-content taliban, and I don't say GTL is a bad sim, but limiting such an infinite choice doesn't mean you don't have choice enough, IF what you really want to do is learning how to drive/race.
It would make it too much like rFactor, rubbishy AI with rubbishy online because of all the mods.
I only want quality tracks and not some tracks made by..who knows who.
Eric is doing a superb job.
And how do you stop people who play demo and people who have cracked version from getting even more content, and therefore less incentive to buy a license?
Quote from sinanju :And how do you stop people who play demo and people who have cracked version from getting even more content, and therefore less incentive to buy a license?

I personally think that the devs should re-jig the demo system.
Consolidation is better for the community. Having a greater number of car/track combinations than actual players only spreads everyone out too thinly.

I agree with k_badam - perhaps it's time to introduce a new demo circuit?
Quote from Ripley :As silly as I may sound, I think LFS has just enough content.

Enough content? are you mental?
Im sure the 2 active members on this forum is happy about the content that was announced 7 years ago. Only reason it was active for so long without new content is because its the best feeling sim. (for me anyway)

Im sure Scawen and his active crew does not regret doing things differently.
Like explainations to why it could be 7 years before shit comes out or why focus on the small shit no one cares about.
Quote from MousemanLV :I only want quality tracks and not some tracks made by..who knows who.
Eric is doing a superb job.

He was in a coma since 2009, reworked westhill 6 years later and now exploring his new life living as a rock. Could you define "work" for me please?
Quote from aroX123 :Enough content? are you mental?
Im sure the 2 active members on this forum is happy about the content that was announced 7 years ago. Only reason it was active for so long without new content is because its the best feeling sim. (for me anyway)

Im sure Scawen and his active crew does not regret doing things differently.
Like explainations to why it could be 7 years before shit comes out or why focus on the small shit no one cares about.

Don't forget, Scawen also chooses to ban members who have supported the project for over a decade, while allowing trolling demo users to reign supreme.
I agree too many rubbish modded tracks can harm a sim, but what about ones recommended by the LFS team? What would stop the LFS guys making selected modded tracks 'official', as Assetto Corsa has done?
Quote from aroX123 :He was in a coma since 2009, reworked westhill 6 years later and now exploring his new life living as a rock. Could you define "work" for me please?

People like I like to look at things with a positive attitude and hope for the best and not have negative thoughts about anything. I couldn't be concerned less about what has happened in the pest, I am looking towards the future and I believe that the developers will surprise us sooner or later.
Be positive, you will notice how you will grow as an individual.
Smile
Quote from petercollins :I agree too many rubbish modded tracks can harm a sim, but what about ones recommended by the LFS team? What would stop the LFS guys making selected modded tracks 'official', as Assetto Corsa has done?

Only they know.

But keep in mind, as real life is real life, LFS will still stand as a LFS, so couple of fictional tracks as new content would not ruin anyone's life.

Though we already have nice amount of tracks, not mentioning the layouts. Sure, the more the merrier, but need a bigger community as well, or at least more "healthy".

Depends about "all" things anyway.
There's also the user license level to consider - will just anyone, even if they don't even have game, be able to make tracks, or will there be a minimum license level (such as S3)?

Same for using the track mods. Will anyone from Demo, to S3 (and above, if such a thing) be able to use them?

Then there's the cost - or not. Will they be free, or will they have to license via LFS? And if tracks are recommended by LFS, then Scavier will have had to put some time and effort into looking them over. Are they going to do that for free?

Probably things that the LFS developers have given little thought to as yet.
Quote from sinanju :There's also the user license level to consider - will just anyone, even if they don't even have game, be able to make tracks, or will there be a minimum license level (such as S3)?

Same for using the track mods. Will anyone from Demo, to S3 (and above, if such a thing) be able to use them?

Then there's the cost - or not. Will they be free, or will they have to license via LFS? And if tracks are recommended by LFS, then Scavier will have had to put some time and effort into looking them over. Are they going to do that for free?

If it was my decision, I would grant them to S2 users, as I think the price of the S3 package is too high for a sim this old.

Any cost would be offset by the increase in sales. LFS is still a great sim, but there is only so many laps one can do around Blackwood in a limited number of cars.

The introduction of some new tracks and cars would increase sales exponentially.
Quote from petercollins :If it was my decision, I would grant them to S2 users, as I think the price of the S3 package is too high for a sim this old.

Any cost would be offset by the increase in sales. LFS is still a great sim, but there is only so many laps one can do around Blackwood in a limited number of cars.

The introduction of some new tracks and cars would increase sales exponentially.

It is not the tracks and cars only:

Weather effects
Snow, Rain, Fog
Tunnels, underground
Very dangerous environments ( Touge )
More racer slots
More complexity to the layouts
Physics

and the most important: Fun!
I think the physics are the best available, better than it's closest competitors Assetto Corsa and iRacing.

Fun has gone a bit, mainly due to the drop in multiplayer options. There was nothing better than leaping into a race back in 2007 on a boring Tuesday evening, that's mostly gone now.

However, more content would revive the multiplayer experience for certain.
Like many others have pointed out, too much content will spread the community apart too thin. And user made content most likely wont live up to the quality LFS tracks currently do have in terms of smoothness and bumps. (The collision mesh of LFS tracks have alot of detail in the form of bumps)
Not only that, user made content overall will cause inconvenience with multiplayer. Either you would have to search for every mod on every server, an effort I am trying to avoid and I would hate for LFS to take on this horrible method. Or you would have to wait each time you join a server for the game to automatically download a bunch of mods, only to end up with a brand new low quality car which you don't have any setups for or any pratice with.

Like I said in your other thread, LFS is about the driving experience, not the content. While real life tracks are fun to drive solely because you know they exist in real life, it doesn't necessarily change the overall sensation of driving on a fictional track with a similar style in corners and size.

The only thing I wish for with LFS is for a few carefully selected content released with the idea to cover more "roles". For example a thin gravel rally course running trough a forrest with limited grip and alot of blind corners. A mountain course with alot of tight hairpins and drastic elevation changes with steep edges on the side of the road to crash down.

I also agree that nordschleife would be a pretty awesome addition but it would have to be a careful scan to live up to the quality of the other LFS tracks.

But to sum it up, don't open LFS for modding.
Why not allow a small number of mod tracks to be released? One every 6 months or so as chosen by the Devs themselves. Spend a month or two upgrading the track and working on bugs than make it a full release allowing them to focus on new cars, features, physics, ect.

I think it's a win-win.

Too many with too little effort would be a complete mess!
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
Stage-rally and gravel-only tracks- yes!

I'd also happily pay for a proper Nordschleife.

Brendan
I think I'd like to see at least 3-4 more vehicles and 2 more circuits before any more talk of 'happily' paying for anything else, tbh...
Quote from Cornys :Why not allow a small number of mod tracks to be released? One every 6 months or so as chosen by the Devs themselves. Spend a month or two upgrading the track and working on bugs than make it a full release allowing them to focus on new cars, features, physics, ect.

I think it's a win-win.

Too many with too little effort would be a complete mess!

You know, you might be on to something here. Like have a contest. I wouldn't think there'd be THAT many entries and Have a vote system to decide if it wins, which means updateable along with the rest of the licensed tracks. There'd have to be really serious guidelines to prevent crappy mods from being spammed in and copyright issues.
I haven't gotten Rockingham yet, Is it good? Don't spoil it for me...I kinda hope it sucks, so I can whine about it Razz?
I didn't drive it yet, but from screenshots it looks great. Smile

Mod Tracks
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG