The online racing simulator
S3 too expensive
(103 posts, closed, started )
S3 too expensive
£12 for one oval track? seriously?
Quote from tom0900060 :it takes 7 years for them to make Rockingham, who knows when is the next release

Seesh... Patience!!! That is the key for a reward Smile

And I do not care even if next patch/release takes another 7 years
You've made 3 posts, two of which are in here complaining and it says you've been a member since January? You haven't even earned the right to complain about anything taking to long to be released.
well i'll complain then.

seriously £12 and no guarantees. looks like your game plan and customer service are taken directly from EA, the architects of screwing the customer over.

made the mistake of S2 based on promises, wont make the same mistake again.
Quote from tom0900060 :it takes

more then ten years before you register. What are you on about?

Bothering me with stupid comments? Get a life, get your attention elsewhere.
Quote from obzelite :well i'll complain then.

seriously £12 and no guarantees. looks like your game plan and customer service are taken directly from EA, the architects of screwing the customer over.

made the mistake of S2 based on promises, wont make the same mistake again.

If Scawen was in the EA business, it'd be 12 quid per config, 20 quid for each iteration of tyre physics. 20 quid for damage model.

Then they'd re-release the same game the next year, with the same pricing model but incompatible content.
The Dev's have chosen to label S3 as Rockingham. A circuit I can race on with many other games without spending Poundings 12, but that's their choice and is a great marketing strategy.

It seems that the new physics will still apply to S1 & S2 so this is not an issue.

Offline is still 'ok', thanks for the extra AI cars, shame they are a bit vacant when it comes to driving skillz......

I'll buy S3 when either, damage modelling, weather, tyre physics, lead to online racing Down Under, or whatever.

I'm not (well, I clearly am) going to criticize their choice, I'm just not buying S3 till my requirements are met....

It's really sad, I'm just going to have to play Dirt Rally and AC till then, don't know how I'll cope.

Seriously, games have moved on since 2008, and that's a kind review of how LFS stands today. LFS needs to look at it's competition and come up with a plan to move the game forward. This S3 release does strike me as a bit of a cynical cash grab, but hey, all's fair in business.
Quote from tom0900060 :it takes 7 years for them to make Rockingham, who knows when is the next release

The LFS crew has done a hell of a lot this year than in the past. And I've only joined since 2011, you're not even done with a Freshman year buddy. For me, I'd rather pay the €12 ($17.88, America) because that's cheaper than buying a new game. I could actually buy you a voucher, combined with my personal purchase, and still be cheaper than a new video game.

So quit your complaining, Fish, and let the Juniors, Seniors, and Alumni do all the talking.
Well programming is a hard business sometimes. You hear same complains over and over again in this community. I'll share my point of view here.

First you guys have to break with every promise the devs might have given or every expectations you might got out of progress reports. We got so much from S1 and S2 licences we bought and everything that gonna come is just a bonus. They owe us nothing at all for the licences in the past.

Now to look at the past years. There really isn't much visible progress but out of what Scawen wrote here and there he worked several month maybe years on the hopefully upcoming physics update where he seems to have aborted many attempts and tried much.
Also do not forget they slowed everything down some time because there is a RL beside all the work.
The Rockingham update is most likely ready since a long time and just waited for polishing and for the finishing of other parts to release S3.
I am also relatively sure there is minimum one more track and 2 - 5 cars more or less finished beside the VWS.
But only they have a glue when updates will be coming. And because they aren't sure we won't read something before Scawen isn't happy with the new physics and this is ready to be released.
hmm.. so you could have been 7 years saving for S3? That's like £2 per year... too much for you?

And I mean, it's not too late!

Yeah, you missed RO, but you can start saving today, and you will be ready just in time for the second S3 track... (unless the devs break the rules of historical coincidence, and release something sooner than in Xmas 2022, but you don't believe that, right?)
Quote from tom0900060 :£12 for one oval track? seriously?

Be happy you don't live in the US, it's $17.88 plus $2-$3 for the exchange charge.

All the servers that I use in my area have already changed to S3, so until I pay $20+ for the 1 available track in S3 the game is dead for me.
Quote from RedBeardedT :Be happy you don't live in the US, it's $17.88 plus $2-$3 for the exchange charge.

All the servers that I use in my area have already changed to S3, so until I pay $20+ for the 1 available track in S3 the game is dead for me.

That's not true.
If you install the latest patch, you can connect to S3 servers, as long as they don't run the Rockingham track.
Quote from Yisc[NL] :If you install the latest patch, you can connect to S3 servers, as long as they don't run the Rockingham track.

I'll answer quickly:
Quote from Yisc[NL] :That's not true.

A server set to S3 can't be played by S2 users, even if it's not playing on RO, just like a S1 user can't join a S2 server that allow only S1 cars and plays on S1 tracks.
Quote from Racer X NZ :The Dev's have chosen to label S3 as Rockingham. A circuit I can race on with many other games without spending Poundings 12, but that's their choice and is a great marketing strategy.

It seems that the new physics will still apply to S1 & S2 so this is not an issue.

Offline is still 'ok', thanks for the extra AI cars, shame they are a bit vacant when it comes to driving skillz......

I'll buy S3 when either, damage modelling, weather, tyre physics, lead to online racing Down Under, or whatever.

I'm not (well, I clearly am) going to criticize their choice, I'm just not buying S3 till my requirements are met....

It's really sad, I'm just going to have to play Dirt Rally and AC till then, don't know how I'll cope.

Seriously, games have moved on since 2008, and that's a kind review of how LFS stands today. LFS needs to look at it's competition and come up with a plan to move the game forward. This S3 release does strike me as a bit of a cynical cash grab, but hey, all's fair in business.

You raise some valid points, and I understand why some people would choose (and that's a vital word, 'choose') not to by S3 yet.

But I don't understand this being seen as a cynical cash grab.

Depending on your opinion, Scavier can be accused of being too slow, being poor communicators or focusing the wrong areas for development.

However, but to accuse them of suddenly deciding to rip everyone off after more than 10 years of development is really just crass and offensive.
Quote from nacim :A server set to S3 can't be played by S2 users, even if it's not playing on RO, just like a S1 user can't join a S2 server that allow only S1 cars and plays on S1 tracks.

And that is what's not true!

Quote from nacim :I'll answer quickly:

A server set to S3 can't be played by S2 users, even if it's not playing on RO, just like a S1 user can't join a S2 server that allow only S1 cars and plays on S1 tracks.

Your answer made me doubt myself (sign of weakness, I know) so I double checked.
I've set one of my servers to mode S3 in the config file and started it.
Chosen track is AS1 and car is XFG.
Then I tried connecting to it with my S2 license and I am able to connect to it.
It has always been the case that the settings and content running on the server, decides who can and can't connect.
If the settings and content are within the S1 license, people with that license can connect to it, even if mode is set to S2 or S3.
Basically setting in host's cfg file defines available content - if set to S1,you cannot load S2 or S3 content on that server (when changing track or setting cars per admin command)! Only content defines,who can join the server - if the content is S1 cars on S1 track while server is set to S2 or S3,S1 users can join,but loading S2 track will kick S1 users automatically.
Wow, TIL ! That's such a weird behaviour, it makes the choice of S1/S2/S3 when creating the server nearly useless actually. But nevermind, I was wrong, thanks for correcting me. Smile
I have played this game on/off since 2003 and my overall costs are:

36£ or 49.3€ or 53.5$

Normally pc-games cost 30-50€ so MY OPINION this is far, far away expensive game to us.

Have you notice example how much playing iRacing costs ?

I do, I have spent 15-20x more than LFS.

Every track, car cost, even monthly membership and private hosts costs !
Quote from nacim :Wow, TIL ! That's such a weird behaviour, it makes the choice of S1/S2/S3 when creating the server nearly useless actually. But nevermind, I was wrong, thanks for correcting me. Smile

it's self imposed limit by server admin, so he doesn't add S2 or S3 track/car by accident when he did decide to run S1(/S2) server (causing probably nice mass kick Smile if the server was advertised as S1/S2).

Anyway, I'm afraid in next few days RO will be driven to death, so the S2 licenses will have to probably wait a week or so, till it cools down... At least there's no new cool S3 car, which would be allowed on almost all S3 servers, preventing S2 to join. Big grin (or does at least one S1/S2 car allowed make it enough to join such host, and you are limited only in your garage?)
I personally applaud the decision to release some S3 content now. Devs can't do right from wrong but they can see who the true fans / users are and hopefully that is enough to see that they do have a lot of support from the people that don't normally cry and whine about things.
This thread is closed

S3 too expensive
(103 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG