The online racing simulator
Is it still alive
(22 posts, started )
#1 - ozm8
Is it still alive
Hello just wondering, is this game still alive?
#2 - AdZy
Yes...
No...
Maybe...
Apart from the question how a piece of software can be alive, yes there are events, mostly European based (Saturday there is an 8 hour race e.g. and events are kept track in the league calender or on Facebook (#LeagueUpdate)) and some public servers, but indeed activity has drastically decreased in comparison to five years ago.
Lfs never die
Not even 100 liters of fuel burned in two years, you never was alive.

Why people start these kind of topics I don't know. Attention? Possibly. Isn't it summer now @southern hemisphere? Go outside! Razz
Quote from TFalke55 :... events, mostly European based...

To be fair this is bit biased on this forum because the forum and the race calender ( https://www.lfs.net/leagues/calendar ) are mostly european based. There is non-european events/leagues too, but with different timezones and their own communities on non-english websites it is bit under the radar for europeans.
Not everything is in calender and one only notices when randomly a few postings or pictures appear ( for ex LFS.cl this summer: https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1892232#post1892232 )and then one sees there is LFS outside europe too. I think that should not be forgotten, in end it helps everyone.
Quote from cargame.nl :Not even 100 liters of fuel burned in two years, you never was alive.

Why people start these kind of topics I don't know. Attention? Possibly. Isn't it summer now @southern hemisphere? Go outside! Razz

Lol 46 laps maybe he played 1 day Omg omg omg
46laps is much
#11 - ozm8
lol i swear i've done more than 46 laps. I used to play on those semi rpg servers where you do jobs,etc
Quote from ozm8 :lol i swear i've done more than 46 laps. I used to play on those semi rpg servers where you do jobs,etc

what kind of jobs? Looking
Quote from cargame.nl :Not even 100 liters of fuel burned in two years, you never was alive.

No, we in the southern hemosphere have issues with your refusal to cope with people from down here. LFS has died in Australasia and your support for the game is to whine about lag.

GG cargame......
I've raced for some time on Cargame in the last few years, and although my ping has raised a few eyebrows, it very rarely causes me or anyone else any problems - The CG crew have certainly never kicked me, let alone threatened to kick me for it.

I think the key is to be aware of the problems that high ping causes, and simply avoid them. Don't make sudden movements, try not to drift around corners during close races, leave enough space for other cars to pass safely, and don't actively fight for positions that you know you won't get.

To be kicked from Cargame, you really do need to be causing quite a lot of drama, from what I've seen...
Sorry but no, I do race clean, give space, am aware of the lag issue.
No, Cargame says on the issue...

Quote from cargame.nl :I'm sorry but I don't go into detail here. If you have complaints you can go to the official forum dedicated to these privately operated servers.

"Eehhh... This is not the right thinking.

I don't want to see people racing on the track and then disappearing for a minute and then suddenly reappear in the middle of a field of cars for 10 seconds...

People with crappy internet connections should play civilization like dandy is doing and shouldn't participate in position/time critical sports like door to door racing. Lag... And to be more specific, jitter... Is one of the top ranking irritations on the servers. Sometimes also people just join with 5 fps or are torrenting some movie in the background and all think this has no influence on racing. Many people do not know what they cause because it all 'looks good' on their screen.

There should appear at least some warning @ low FPS rates/high ping/jitter."
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/80321

And there's more, including me being banned for ping, and not for driving........

And in NZ/Aus, ping will always be an issue till we get a proper connection to Europe. Meanwhile, LFS dies here because of geographical prejudice.....

THIS was the post I was looking for !!!

"Although I'd rather not see Aussies or anyone from that region on the server .. Nice, communicative, generally friendly etc. but their internet signal needs to travel half the globe so they are -ALWAYS- a problem to other people on this Europe based sim."
[quote="cargame.nl;1896490"]

So, European based sim, screw everyone else who isn't from europe........
Great game marketing.......

So, like everyone else down here, off to play iRacing, AC, RSRBR, and Dirt Rally...........

In fact, any of the huge range of games that, like Red Orchestra, happily deal with Australasian's, wait, isn't that a FPS game ???????

Is LFS dead ?
It sure is in Australasia.
(NOTE, 10.5 years of owning and racing LFS)
Don't get me wrong - I understand the pain of high ping, but what they are talking about there is lag-spikes. I've seen drivers with perfectly good ping who also happen to jitter. It can be caused by sudden movements, other apps, or faulty equipment even.

Lag spikes, on the other hand, no-one should have to deal with. The disappearing/reappearing thing is annoying and frustrating for everyone.
Quote from Racer X NZ :No, we in the southern hemosphere have issues with your refusal to cope with people from down here.

Oh, right.. All of a sudden it's my responsibility that Australia has a good online racing experience.

Well.. If you can point me to a good Australian datacentre and monthly pay me at least the server renting costs back then I am up to invest a bit of my free time. If not then your ranting is way out of proportion.

Quote from Racer X NZ :THIS was the post I was looking for !!!

Nothing wrong with any of those postings. There is something wrong with your thinking, that you need to depend on me (what?).
Didn't say there was anything wrong with your opinion. The issue is that, until recently there was minimal dev support for the game.
Given Occ Rift/Valve gear there is now some development. BUT, this gear is in the future, round here, a lot in the future.

There are now no players here as the servers have all closed because the game was not supported for a long time, basically, lets play games that are supported is the attitude here.

If you, I, whoever, want the LFS user base to grow then we need to work together to get that happening.

So, ATM, if there was some encouragement from Europe to grow the paying user base here, that would help to get more paying users. When you just ban people because they are trying to play from here, that is a bit of a turn off for the game.

And we all know that LFS is an on line game.

When the user base grows, then we can get servers going here AGAIN.

Or not, I don't care, if you run european servers clearly you care more about this game than I do.

I can throw money into hosting here but why ? I'm not going 'virtual' for several years, there is no guarantee of support for actual racers, ie, tracks, cars etc.

We have done this for years here and, with no progress on development it has died here.

Cool, clearly either you only want LFS to be a euro online game, so have fun, or we try to work together to move this game forward globally, grow the user base again, and try to get things moving. Smile
I don't ban people, I just put up a country firewall now and then when the conditions get really terrible that there are people from across the globe just on one server in Paris. This simply never works for real time games. LFS does a quite OK job to manage this to a certain degree but when packet loss / jitter comes into play then it's over. Not for that particular person but half the server suffers from this, other people leave the server because of the poor quality and as a result you have a heavy loss of European playerbase. In fact, the person causing trouble most of the time has no idea what he/she is causing because it looks sort of smooth on his/her screen.

Putting up this country firewall is the only thing I can do, I much rather automatically deflect people to another server like I did ten years ago with COD2 servers. But LFS doesn't support this autoredirection, which is a real loss for proper management. For years it already is not the best method that everyone connects to the most popular server (or servers), there has to be some kind of overflow to a different environment.

But, LFS overall online popularity is critical, it's now sadly not required to give these kind of redirect techniques top priority. The European playerbase was and is at a critical level itself and this country firewall I didn't activate it for many months already.. Sadly.

Because of future uncertainties it's still unclear how long I will continue to give my kind of support. Timed official updates are very important for moral as you said yourself and I still don't see any form of structure in this. But hey, some stuff @LFS still provides fun so as long this still exists it's OK to slowly do some stuff here and there.
Quote from Racer X NZ :And in NZ/Aus, ping will always be an issue till we get a proper connection to Europe. Meanwhile, LFS dies here because of geographical prejudice.....
So, European based sim, screw everyone else who isn't from europe........
Great game marketing.......
If you, I, whoever, want the LFS user base to grow then we need to work together to get that happening.
So, ATM, if there was some encouragement from Europe to grow the paying user base here, that would help to get more paying users. When you just ban people because they are trying to play from here, that is a bit of a turn off for the game.
Cool, clearly either you only want LFS to be a euro online game, so have fun, or we try to work together to move this game forward globally, grow the user base again, and try to get things moving. Smile

There are some strange statements in your posts.
There is no "geographical prejudice", it is simply the geographical distance and technical limits of internet. With some luck the ping between EU and AUS is at 200-300ms, which the netcode can still kinda handle but it is not perfect. Out of interest I joined an australian server once: It actually worked okay-ish, even during contacts.
However I can easily see if some people maybe have slightly worse internet/modem/routers/luck or racing gets too rough then it can add up to become very frustrating.
Race games are not comperable to shooter games. In shooter games you lose maybe one life from unlucky lag but few seconds later you respawn. In race game you are out for several minutes or forever, plus maybe several other players are out too.
Mostly I do not understand what EU has to do with situation in AUS. The whole timezone thing is already an obstacle. How comes I never read such complains from (south)american countries? That is a different continent too but somehow they do manage to run their own servers & events. Even in EU not everyone is driving on same international server. Look at Italy, Spain or Finnland: ping-times between these countries are no problem but still they have local servers. Perhaps a few foreign guestdrivers but mostly it is national events/communities.
I do not understand why AUS can not do what other countries are doing. Instead being so hung up on EU servers or even one specifique server (cargame.nl)? There seems to be decent number of australians to at least run small events or maybe semi-organized public server, like concentrate on certains days or so. No idea what AUS pages are there, I only know gotbeeraustralia.info which seems bit asleep lately.
But chatbox reads "last message 9 hours ago", so the option is to either sign up there or continue more posting conspiraciy theories here ...because one thing is for sure, your years of negative blabla are not doing a favour to your countrymen.
He is even further away not AUS but NZ .. => Total distance: 18.921,80 km (11.757,46 miles) .. A more remote place is not possible even the Artic pole circle is closer. And these distances are measured through the air. Sea and land cable distance makes it much worse, it is a miracle that we talk about 300-400ms ping times. But too many hubs/switches make it extremely unreliable to do anything serious. A lot of people have no idea how the internet actually works. They think the whole world is at their doorstep. Not saying that he does not know how it works, but on the server I had from time to time discussions about line quality. Then they say I have 10 Mbit! .. Yeah... Well.. That doesnt really matter.

Latin America is concerning time zone only a few hours back. When it's evening 'here' it's afternoon in Rio. Causing more problems because Brazil/Arg is also crazy far away and they have just one crappy sea cable from the year 2000 to Europe. Thats Flintstones age related to internet years! Only 40 Gbit, it's crazy. Brasil alone is the 5th country in the world sorted on population (205 million people). Australia has 10% of that so I understand it's a bit more difficult to organize something there locally.
Reply to the last two posts;

Cargame, you do an awesome job for LFS, you run great servers etc, It would just be great to race as even a ping of 250 will allow safe racing, and then ban on crashes if I cause those....

Gutholz, WTF ???. In Australasia we have all moved on to AC, iRacing etc. The point I was making is that LFS is, netcode wise, better, but due to a lack of progress for MANY years, it's now dead down here and without the ability to get online racing up and running again it's going to stay that way.
Even GP Legends is more alive here !!!!!

It would cost me money to host LFS servers and with no users it's pointless, and I can enjoy other games so I don't care. I care even less given the European attitude regarding lag.

So, lag is less important in a FPS than it is in a racing game ?

Yet another learning experience............

Is it still alive
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG