The online racing simulator
A new Leagues section
(53 posts, started )
I would actually welcome the option to have local time displayed. Would it be possible to display both UTC and local? I don't think that's very difficult to make and it's a win/win.
Surely implementing localisation into the site for users would be beneficial? A user puts in their location/timezone and the site automatically displays time in their local time zone. On input, can say what TZ you're inputting, and then when you submit it is converted and stored in the db as UTC.

NDR lists all events officially as UTC/GMT, but will sometimes also state the time in other common timezones to aid (such as CEST/BST/EDT)
It does all that already. All displayed times are always local and when you have to enter a time, you can enter local time and i'll convert it to utc internally.
So local times are displayed, but hover over any timestamp on this site and you'll see the utc time in a tooltip.

btw when i say local I mean your local time - not the time of the country the league's located.
How does it know? Geo IP? (edit; no, switched IP to AUS, didnt do anything, also not when logged out hhmm)
Quote from cargame.nl :How does it know? Geo IP? (edit; no, switched IP to AUS, didnt do anything, also not when logged out hhmm)

Does it in Javascript. Changing the timezone on your computer will change the result.

It iterates through all the dates on the page, creates a new JS Date object, sets the various components in UTC time, and then gets the output using getSeconds() and such.
Right OK cool, didn't know it was possible like that and b that it already was a localized time. Excellent. Smile
https://www.lfs.net/leagues/219-Absolute-beginners-racing-league
We wanted to make all "Staff" to "Adminstrator" so that everybody can update calender, edit description etc. But does not seem to work:

Quote from Starbert :I tried to add all staff to the administrator part, but somehow it doesn't work. It does not save it.

Quote from englishlord :Could there be a way to/does this automatically remove leagues after a certain period of inactivity? If a year or two down the line it's full of defunct leagues, then it will just replicate the problem of the leagues section in the forum

Think this is important too. After some time without date, the league should be marked inactive or so. Otherwise one will have to click 30+ items again to see which one is current running, especially one-time or yearly event might make the list bit clogged.
Or maybe it should sort the list by "Next Race" by default?
Regarding updating the administrators - it probably does work, but there may be some other errors in the form. I saw this when I tried with my test league. I had to enter the description and founding date.
So have a look if you see any red error texts in the form after you submit the changes.

I will indeed put inactive leagues as inactive after a while. Still have to code that up, but the idea is to filter inactive leagues, yes.
I've wondered about sorting by next race date. But we had some other ideas for the listing as well. We just wanted to have some leagues filled in first. Then we can create a more informative listing. So it's a work in progress in that regard too.
Thanks for adding the option to remove entries, Victor Smile
Works now Thumbs up

Would be nice if event details were a bit more flexible. For example a format like this does not "fit" into calender:
Quote :...every round has a 20 minutes sprint race and a 40 minutes main race. Qualification will be according to the single lap format (outlap -> hotlap -> spectate)

Maybe it is not always nessecary to detail so much.
Might be good to allow something like:
Type = Event
Total duration= 2 hours

Details would then be on website or league description.
Could be useful for "unusual" formats, like tourneys, rallye, knockout-system..
There are 2 important things which can make life easier for users.

1) Some way to keep track of newly created leagues. Just put one more sort field named "Creation date" so driver can see which ones he already know, otherwise everytime you enter the leagues section, you have to remember which ones you already checked.

2) Put cars class field on Leagues page. Why not? Even if it has 10 fields, it is the most important field for some people. Can be shortened by using class names (TBO/SS/GTR/NGT etc). If it has more than say 4 classes, can name it Mixed and put everything in the tooltip.

Also, there is a problem with how people use it already. Some of the teams (Worldwide Racing, CityLiga) decided to use 1 league for everything, which feels wrong. Everytime you want to add more seasons to some championship, you are okay with that. But if you add something completely different, there should be new entry in Leagues, so people see something popping up in the list.

Otherwise a lot of stuff gets potentially ignored.
Currently a day is displayed like this:
Quote :20:30 CL - Season 20 - Round 7 - Qualify
20:45 CL - Season 20 - Round 7 - Race
22:15 CESAV - League 2015 - Round 15 - Qualify
22:30 CESAV - League 2015 - Round 15 - Race

Better maybe to group qualys/races that belong to same event, like this:
Quote :CL - Season 20 - Round 7
20:30 - Qualify
20:45 - Race
CESAV - League 2015 - Round 15
22:15 - Qualify
22:30 - Race

This also avoids different leagues/events getting mixed, like happend here:
https://www.lfs.net/attachment/133273

BB-code for images, links etc would be nice in descriptions of saisons/leagues. Smile

For qualification would be nice enter lap-limit too, at the moment only durations (minutes) work.
(Excact details one must read in league rules anyway, but "One hotlap" or "2 shot qualification" or similiar is quite common. for ex. at http://cityliga.de/index.php/en/season/schedule 4 of 10 qualis are lap-limited)

Quote from vitaly_m :But if you add something completely different, there should be new entry in Leagues, so people see something popping up in the list.

Otherwise a lot of stuff gets potentially ignored.

Hm, not sure. That creates lots of entries that only get used once.

Nobody should need to be on the watch-out if a new entry popped up.
Rather than looking in list of leagues if a new entry appeared, upcoming dates are better found in the calender.
The News to announce things are still there, too.

That is why I think (instead of the leagues-list) https://www.lfs.net/leagues/calendar should be the "start-page" of Leagues-section.
Attached images
bla.png
Quote from Gutholz :For qualification would be nice enter lap-limit too, at the moment only durations (minutes) work.
(Excact details one must read in league rules anyway, but "One hotlap" or "2 shot qualification" or similiar is quite common. for ex. at http://cityliga.de/index.php/en/season/schedule 4 of 10 qualis are lap-limited)

We have the same rules in CESAV, so far I've set it to 1 minute sessions when it should be set to 1 flying lap (F1 2005 style).

About grouping by league... I'd be inclined to agree, but I'm also aware that there would be too many cases where grouping would be the wrong thing to do :/
It seems all leagues display: Last Race: unknown
even if they have past dates in calender.
Is that because server infos are not entered?

The filter at https://www.lfs.net/news does not work?
If you select a leagues-news it shows no results or few very old ones.
For example select "Rony's Tuesday's Fun Race" in dropdown menu and there are no news.
But there should be at least this article: https://www.lfs.net/news/931#

Or vTorque, here: https://www.lfs.net/news/type/215 the latest news is from 19 Jan 2013.
But on profile the Latest News Update was Fri 3 Apr 2015: https://www.lfs.net/leagues/215-vTorque
Attached images
bla.jpg
Also just found out that it's not possible to found league "today" - todays date is shown as invalid,have to select day before.
Just a minor thing you might want to know...
Quote from Gutholz :It seems all leagues display: Last Race: unknown
even if they have past dates in calender.
Is that because server infos are not entered?

The filter at https://www.lfs.net/news does not work?
If you select a leagues-news it shows no results or few very old ones.
For example select "Rony's Tuesday's Fun Race" in dropdown menu and there are no news.
But there should be at least this article: https://www.lfs.net/news/931#

Or vTorque, here: https://www.lfs.net/news/type/215 the latest news is from 19 Jan 2013.
But on profile the Latest News Update was Fri 3 Apr 2015: https://www.lfs.net/leagues/215-vTorque

Quote from Eclipsed :Also just found out that it's not possible to found league "today" - todays date is shown as invalid,have to select day before.
Just a minor thing you might want to know...

Fixed these.

Well,seeing how the leagues section is spammed with some weird entries,where some haven't even the slightest connection with actual leagues,seems like there's noone to clean the section - maybe mods could help there? Of course it's easy to see what is actually happening when sort by date is clicked,but still the section feels too littered. Shrug
Attached images
Untitled.png
Quote from Eclipsed :Of course it's easy to see what is actually happening when sort by date is clicked,but still the section feels too littered. Shrug

Maybe it is worth to suggest, that the automatic sorting, that shows up when you actually click the page, should be by date rather then by alphabet.

Another thing, the "latest" news shown on the general league page is not the latest news the league has posted. Announcing CityLiga 21 and being approved already, the news shown still ist about CityLiga 19 and from Fri 12 Sep 2014. Uhmm
Yes, please clean it up a bit. This only works if it is kept somewhat neatly.

If it is so cluttered then it is just same situation as before: Having to look through forum or facebook etc.
For outsiders maybe not always easy to see which entries make sense because some communities do not post so active or only use teamspeak etc. But something like "Hot Drift Team" or "Cro Drift Team" to me looks like people confusing the site with a teams-list.

Also I think some non-english leagues are missing, LFS Chile is pretty big but not listed.
(It is not my timezone but maybe someone reads this and knows admins)

I also wonder what do people think is "news-worthy?"
Because right now only announcements are posted: "New season starts", "New league founded"
But unless you race there you never know what happend of it...results, pictures, livestream recording, reports etc: You only find it when looking elsewhere.
I think it would be good to post results/reports too maybe. Because afterall the announcements are partly meant to advertise and what is better advertisement then succesful completion of last event?
Or would be too spammy? Maybe if all do it then nobody will feel like spammer Tilt
Quote from TFalke55 :Another thing, the "latest" news shown on the general league page is not the latest news the league has posted. Announcing CityLiga 21 and being approved already, the news shown still ist about CityLiga 19 and from Fri 12 Sep 2014. Uhmm

On cityliga.de the last news are from January 2015 and about previous season too. Maybe it got confused from there Nod
Quote from TFalke55 :
Quote from Eclipsed :Of course it's easy to see what is actually happening when sort by date is clicked,but still the section feels too littered. Shrug

Maybe it is worth to suggest, that the automatic sorting, that shows up when you actually click the page, should be by date rather then by alphabet.

This. Sort by whichever league has a race next.
Quote from Gutholz :I also wonder what do people think is "news-worthy?"
Because right now only announcements are posted: "New season starts", "New league founded"
But unless you race there you never know what happend of it...results, pictures, livestream recording, reports etc: You only find it when looking elsewhere.
I think it would be good to post results/reports too maybe. Because afterall the announcements are partly meant to advertise and what is better advertisement then succesful completion of last event?
Or would be too spammy? Maybe if all do it then nobody will feel like spammer Tilt

Quote from Gutholz :
Quote from TFalke55 :Another thing, the "latest" news shown on the general league page is not the latest news the league has posted. Announcing CityLiga 21 and being approved already, the news shown still ist about CityLiga 19 and from Fri 12 Sep 2014. Uhmm

On cityliga.de the last news are from January 2015 and about previous season too. Maybe it got confused from there Nod

The main problem might be, that it takes effort and right now effort is a problem for manny leagues, since they focus it on the actual racing rather then the accompanying measures. CityLiga has no race reports since Season 14, for example, simply because there weren't enough people with enough time who wanted to do it. The most recent news on cityliga.de is acutally from Tue 12 May 2015, however the news module on the homepage is broken.

Genuine Racing events were essencially run by Dom in the final seasons and Rony makes an astonishing job to do everything on his own in his leagues and the Tuesday races.
Well CL had the "LFS reports" for last seasons but I understood what you mean, time is always problem.
However there is always some forum post about most races.
Even if it is just the points standing plus 2,3 sentences. Or some screenshots. Could be in news too.

For example what Eclipsed does with Rony's Tuesday's Fun Race.
Posting about every funrace might be too much but sometimes there is extra content like made a video or whatever.
It is not always superinteressting but still too nice to be lost in some commentbox or subforum?

Each CL race had a thread with briefing, results, recorded livestream.
After 10h race was stats, winner graphic etc.
So the content already exists, just copy-paste that stuff. Wink
Quote from TFalke55 :

Another thing, the "latest" news shown on the general league page is not the latest news the league has posted. Announcing CityLiga 21 and being approved already, the news shown still ist about CityLiga 19 and from Fri 12 Sep 2014. Uhmm

I now realised the problem. When you click on add news in your league's section, it actually does not automatically add the news to your league but rather creates a generic post. So it was a lack of attention not a flaw in the system.

A new Leagues section
(53 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG