The online racing simulator
What's next for LFS?
(59 posts, started )
What's next for LFS?
So, the new (and great) Westhill environment has been out for a little while now.

Just wondering: where to now?
Do the devs have anything in the pipeline for the short to medium term for the project?
#2 - troy
Scawen always said he wanted to finally get the tyre physics out so they can properly introduce new content (some free some for s3).

That would be confirmed Rockingham and VWS plus extra content, I think I remember something about another 2 tracks and 3 cars? But don't quote me on that, maybe I got that wrong.

But yes, some teasing by Scawen would be very nice Smile

Edit: one more track mentioned there https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1876575#post1876575

He also said that if content is ready before phyics are done it will be released, although that is quite a recent statement and contradicts a lot of the earlier ones.

Quote :

We wanted to release S3 after the new tyre physics (and Scirocco) but now I don't think that is important any more. If we can get some S3 content ready before the tyre physics is finished, then it can be released, even without all the S3 things we would like to release eventually. So we'll see.

Another quick one from the last westhill progress report

Quote :
After the Westhill update, Eric will continue with the S3 tracks he has been working on. Scawen will continue with the new tyre model. The new tyres currently feel good to drive but some work needs to be done on heat, pressure, friction, tyre load sensitivity and wear which are all closely linked.

- LFS Developers

#3 - nacim
Don't forget the new shadows and realtime reflections. Wink
#4 - Be2K
just watch the Racers Online History.
The past Week 350~ Racers and the past 150days only ~530 Racers were online.

LFS is nearly dead and in my opinion its very hard to get lfs back where it was before 2009. Even the new Westhill, which is the most greatest track by now, didnt get the life back into LFS.

Its more interessting to get some opinions from Scavier about their view on the actual State and what they think they can do to get LFS back in the saddle
Whats next?
Another 5 years of no updates.
#6 - nacim
And here we go again with bullshits 'lol lfs so ded' !

As long as LFS team keep developping it and release update, people will always come back, even after several years without any updates !
Quote from Be2K :just watch the Racers Online History.
The past Week 350~ Racers and the past 150days only ~530 Racers were online.

LFS is nearly dead and in my opinion its very hard to get lfs back where it was before 2009. Even the new Westhill, which is the most greatest track by now, didnt get the life back into LFS.

I noticed that too but didn't want to mention about it and start new discussion.. But indeed, after 1-2 weeks of activity peak associated with Westhill update now the average number of players is even lower than before 0.6H. It used to be around 1000 players in busiest hours few months ago, now it hardly exceeds 800. That's a pity, sometimes it's hard to find any server with decent number of racers among dozens of always full turkish drag-drift pists.
Quote from nacim :As long as LFS team keep developping it and release update, people will always come back, even after several years without any updates !

For a week or two, maybe. Smile
Correct, because the kids nowadays are not more intelligent then stuff like GTA episodeallofthesameversionXY, shooter games and pointless Playstation titles.

Multicore/threading would be a nice future investment, totally no buzz, not interesting for 99% of the people here who never do anything with LFS to begin with but a smart short term goal.

Quote from R@fiXII :But indeed, after 1-2 weeks of activity peak associated with Westhill update now the average number of players is even lower than before 0.6H. It used to be around 1000 players in busiest hours few months ago, now it hardly exceeds 800. That's a pity, sometimes it's hard to find any server with decent number of racers among dozens of always full turkish drag-drift pists.

Correct.. Already analyzed it a while ago internally..

By the way.. On the 14th LFS got cracked again also. The same idiot which did it before.

Multiplayer should only be controlled by an unique online master server in my opinion. No LAN option.
It seems like the Westhill update didn't get as much profit as devs expected.

Scawen should know already that people here appreciate when he tells about current development, yet he keeps silent.

All that tells me that they don't really bother doing anything different than their normal working pace, which can take month/year/decade before any further updates.

Hope I am wrong though...
Quote from cargame.nl :Correct, because the kids nowadays are not more intelligent then stuff like GTA episodeallofthesameversionXY, shooter games and pointless Playstation titles.

GTA 5 is awesome, so much fun. CS:GO is great as well, Dota2 too.
Every time I try to watch a video about either of those I detect my intelligence level dropping to a certain point that I am unable to watch another minute of it before it actually is starting to hurt.

But I understand it's a trick to keep a lot of people hooked and inside their little few square meters of private space. Give the people games and food and they keep themselves detained. I wonder when Racer X NZ kicks in here with his Illuminati/NWO theories, when it's actually needed he's not here. Thats even more conspiring!

Funny thing is, when you take it away by switching a console or computer off and this person starts to get aggressive or violent then you know he/she is into an addicted state. LFS doesn't have this, thats nice.

---
By the way, in a way I am glad that this happened only after two weeks of Westhill release. This shows it's not a problem of LFS, just a problem of too many stupid people Wink .. Stupid is not the right word, but I lost the correct word for it... Just watched 30 seconds of a GTA V video.
So GTA and CS:GO is for the unintelligent people? And you are part of a LFS master-race? Ironically, that's the stupidest thing I've read on this forum (and there's been a lot of stupid posts). It's just not your cup of tea, just like some people don't like simulations like LFS or AC. Calling people stupid for liking different games than you is insanely arrogant.

And by the way, I was hooked on LFS for a long time, all I could think about in school was LFS.. Like how I'm going to be playing it when I get home. And yes when I got cut off from it I was not happy. Doesn't matter what game, you can still get hooked on it.
Dave, what has happened to you?
Quote from cargame.nl : I wonder when Racer X NZ kicks in here with his Illuminati/NWO theories, when it's actually needed he's not here. Thats even more conspiring!

But, I've already posted about the current online state down here. And if your here, then you can't race in Europe cuz lag.

And, as awesome as Westhill is, it didn't recreate online racing in Australasia. Offline, who knows.... I've played a bit but the AI is the same, but with no online worth talking about cus the demo only does Blackwood and that's really it here online .....

Thinking about running a server but it just seems there's not the licensed players to make it worthwhile as I'd need to run a demo server as well. And, no, I really can't be bother with that.

So, Dirt Rally to play with, RSRBR 2015 to really play with, PCars to laugh at, and Zombie Goatz !!!!

And wait.........
Quote from Nadeo4441 :So GTA and CS:GO is for the unintelligent people? And you are part of a LFS master-race? Ironically, that's the stupidest thing I've read on this forum (and there's been a lot of stupid posts). It's just not your cup of tea, just like some people don't like simulations like LFS or AC. Calling people stupid for liking different games than you is insanely arrogant.

And by the way, I was hooked on LFS for a long time, all I could think about in school was LFS.. Like how I'm going to be playing it when I get home. And yes when I got cut off from it I was not happy. Doesn't matter what game, you can still get hooked on it.

Don't worry about cargame.nl, his only purpose of being here is to annoy and insult people.
Sad to see people like that around here, but I guess it's common now and happens on every online forum lately.
Some people will always join back to same game, maybe they just come all at once.
Quote from troy :Scawen always said he wanted to finally get the tyre physics out so they can properly introduce new content (some free some for s3).

That would be confirmed Rockingham and VWS plus extra content, I think I remember something about another 2 tracks and 3 cars? But don't quote me on that, maybe I got that wrong.

But yes, some teasing by Scawen would be very nice Smile

Edit: one more track mentioned there https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1876575#post1876575

He also said that if content is ready before phyics are done it will be released, although that is quite a recent statement and contradicts a lot of the earlier ones.

Quote :

We wanted to release S3 after the new tyre physics (and Scirocco) but now I don't think that is important any more. If we can get some S3 content ready before the tyre physics is finished, then it can be released, even without all the S3 things we would like to release eventually. So we'll see.

Another quick one from the last westhill progress report

Quote :
After the Westhill update, Eric will continue with the S3 tracks he has been working on. Scawen will continue with the new tyre model. The new tyres currently feel good to drive but some work needs to be done on heat, pressure, friction, tyre load sensitivity and wear which are all closely linked.

- LFS Developers

Thanks for the concise reply. I do read Scawen's posts with interest.
I'm keen to learn if these development stages were considered short/medium/long term.

Frankly, I'm asking for an expected timeline on these developments.

And before it's mentioned I know it's against Scavier's culture to respond to queries regarding'time' (though I've never truly understood why this is the case, as avoiding the concept of 'time' really goes against everyone's interests to some degree at least).

Anyway, there's no harm in asking...
Well, every time they told us an estimated time of release, it took longer than expected and they got negative feedback from some people for not keeping the "promises". So that's why Scawen seems to be more hesitant now.
Quote from Nadeo4441 :And you are part of a LFS master-race?

Ehh no, you get confused with [Mrc] now.
Quote from Flame CZE :Well, every time they told us an estimated time of release, it took longer than expected and they got negative feedback from some people for not keeping the "promises". So that's why Scawen seems to be more hesitant now.

Yep, but he doesn't have to tell time.
People who had still fun with LFS before the new Westhill patch have

even more now. Those who stopped playing for whatever reasons seem to

just have a look and disappear again. Where are all the racers now ?

They could create almost infinite # of custom race layouts and enjoy LFS.

I can only speak for myself but LFS for me is the community, means the

people I drive with, talk to in TS or even know in real life now.
Perhaps a native Linux version? It runs excellent in WINE but a native would help improve FPS and maybe allow us to connect wheels/joysticks. I love this game and will buy S2 when I can.

Or perhaps more demo content, one more track and perhaps a few extra cars. Anyways, I love LFS!!
I think it's a bit disappointing really, when I was playing hardcore from like 2004-2007 I finally left because I had to go to uni and had no setup there.

When I came back after 3 years basically nothing had changed, there were a few minor updates but nothing that really shouted to me to get back into it. Even now, I mainly play Asetto Corsa, Project Cars or iRacing because I feel that they are so far ahead now as an all round game. Still not as good as LFS in terms of physics or gameplay but what is physics without people to race against.

However, LFS was my first love and only Project Cars is coming close to the kind of racing that we used to have back in 2004/2005, the races and leagues that we had back then were immense loved every second. If there was some sort of big update I would definitely come back but I fear that for most people there needs to be some sort of massive graphical update now to lure people back.

I know that the game isn't about graphics and it's about the racing but it's hard to even find a race these days there's no one online racing. It's just a bunch of people attempting to drift...
Another story of how it was and how it is now. It's great and all grandpa's but it adds not much more to this forum then another 'geez, life changed hhmm' personal description of your situation. It's been stated before that the team doesn't want to increase in size. Less people less progress. Besides, there has been just a great update; Westhill.. I suggest you at least try it, where was you when it got released anyway?

People can 'moan' it isn't any good or what any reason... But it's a bit silly, disrespectful even, to see that some people show up here start the complain train again but never appeared online in the last years. It's very weird actually, if I am not interested anymore then I'm not interested. Unbelievable that a large group of people keep stalking something which is out of their lives for years, what kind of disorder is this?

What's next for LFS?
(59 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG