The online racing simulator
LFS destroyed my computer!
(14 posts, started )
Well the dead power supply fan(that I didn't notice until too late) probably helped it along, I was in the middle of a LFS race and smelt something funny, but was only half a lap from finishing. I did set a new PB, but then right after I crossed the finish line my computer committed seppuku. Hopefully just replacing the powersupply will fix things, the inside was charred and several components exploded.
#2 - JJ72
that's your fan, not LFS killing you PC.
Quote from JJ72 :that's your fan, not LFS killing you PC.

Well said. That'll put him on the right track.
If you PSU crapped out, then there is a risk of losing components inside your PC. If you're lucky however, it'll just cream your PSU and you can get away with a replacement, but people lose HDDs, mobos, graphics cards, CD/DVD Drives, basically, if it draws direct power from the PSU, there is a risk of it being toast.

LFS destroyed your computer, pish, LFS destroyed my social life. Well LFS and the fact I'm a geek.
#5 - Bean0
Hope all turns out well, but as has been mentioned PSUs can take a lot of other parts with them.

Mine died a couple of years ago and the only thing left working was the GFX card and a stick of ram
LFS should know better than to mess with Texas :P
I hope your computer isnt too screwed. When my power pack went only part of computer that was useable again was the case, hope yours isnt as bad as mine was.
Thanks, I will be buying a replacement PSU after work today, so will have to test out all the parts then. Hopefully not long and I will be able to play LFS again!
Quote from BrandonAGr :Thanks, I will be buying a replacement PSU after work today, so will have to test out all the parts then. Hopefully not long and I will be able to play LFS again!

make sure you dont buy a Cheap powersupply as thats probably the reason why it died in the first place.

From what I have seen from computers I have fixed/made for clients etc One of the best companies for Powersupplys is OCZ 5 year warrenty which is Great!

I would also consider Antec/PC Power & Cooling if you have the $$ etc

Ciao
Quote from bryanviper :make sure you dont buy a Cheap powersupply as thats probably the reason why it died in the first place.

From what I have seen from computers I have fixed/made for clients etc One of the best companies for Powersupplys is OCZ 5 year warrenty which is Great!

I would also consider Antec/PC Power & Cooling if you have the $$ etc

Ciao

errmmm... I recommend not getting OCZ. Yes they have a nice warrenty, but also a high failure rate, with only one PSU worth getting, when you look at its cost, you're better off just not going that direction.. and Antec are cheap trash next to PCP&C.

Also, though popular, stay away from modular. They die faster the fixed wire.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :errmmm... I recommend not getting OCZ. Yes they have a nice warrenty, but also a high failure rate, with only one PSU worth getting, when you look at its cost, you're better off just not going that direction.. and Antec are cheap trash next to PCP&C.

That is not true. The few PSU's you see failing are like 10 out of millions

I have an OCZ Powerstream 520W and I know alot of people with OCZ powersupplies that have never had a problem with them. OCZ is actually rated up there in their powersupplies with PC power and cooling.
Well "failing" isnt the same as "blowing up"
If it doesnt work 100.0% rock solid, it's not worth a cent if you ask me...
Thus there are way more than 10 from 1M.
every power supply from every manufacturer will have a bad batch. You cant prevent it.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :errmmm... I recommend not getting OCZ. Yes they have a nice warrenty, but also a high failure rate, with only one PSU worth getting, when you look at its cost, you're better off just not going that direction.. and Antec are cheap trash next to PCP&C.

OCZ is one of the best power supply companies. I have yet to see Any failures with their powersupplys. I have one and have installed them in my clients computers no problems yet.

Ciao

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG