The online racing simulator
Drifting Real life?
(16 posts, started )
Drifting Real life?
Hey!

I have been planning to try out drifting in real life, like on a track in like 1-2 years and I wonder if there is big different from LFS? I drifting with G27 with force feedback and things like that. And as I can see on YouTube, the wheel is pretty much the same.

Of course there is more difficult in real life then the game, but it's pretty much the same basics, isn't it?

Cheers Smile
Before start, I want to tell you I'm talking in basic terms.

Well, the Logitech and all steering wheel hardwares will always try to simulate how a real steering wheel feels, and they do it well. LFS doesn't have the best graphics, not a big amount of car and tracks and not even real ones, but it is, so far, the simulator with the best physics I've ever seen. But there are important points you must consider in real life, like the feeling you're in the car... No, even, the feeling you ARE the car, the pavement, the holes that may be in the road, looking how everyone watch you, and the fear you have considering you can break your transmission, lose your car and even your life, something that the experience will remove slowly. However, the drifting experience will always depend of the car; it is not the same to drift with your first car, something cheap and affordable like a 240sx would be. Almost no assistances, almost no high-end technology, a i4 2.4 engine. The steering is much harder also, drifting will be much more difficult to do in this car; that's why you see this car always completely modified for drifting reasons, it is cheap also so there isn't a big loss in case you break it. Not the same for a BMW M3 E92 with 414 hp for example. Due to the high engine power, it'll be much easier to drift due to the technology it has in the steering area. That means, the car will slide easier in the proper configuration, steering will be much more smooth and precise, and keeping the drift will be much easier then. To start real drifting, you should use a cheap car. Doesn't matter if you are a professional drifter in simracing, you'll destroy your first race car however, in order to gain experience. You must consider too that motorsport is an expensive discipline (note I said discipline, not like in Fast and Furious where you just hit the gas and go as fast as you can).
Thank you for the information. I will keep this in my mind. Cheers Smile
And for the sake of god, don't do it on the public roads! Big grin You can always find race tracks Smile
And for the sake of god, if you ever make it, dont upload a video clip with silly dubshit or pitbull genre music with lots of HDR and other similar effects Big grin
Quote from MorfeasFX :And for the sake of god, if you ever make it, dont upload a video clip with silly dubshit or pitbull genre music with lots of HDR and other similar effects Big grin

hahaha, nah no overedit for the sake of god xD
Quote from PrimeFamily :
but it's pretty much the same basics, isn't it?

It is. The real difference between RL and LFS is G-Force and surface (wet/snowy/dirty/bumpy etc.). In other ways it's almost same. Also you can try to make setup that close to a real car you're planning to drift on. I mean by using tweaks and other tools.
Okay let's get it straight.
Real life drifting has nothing to do with LFS as previously mentioned.

On public roads even in closed circuits and tracks, the tarmac has not a consistent amount of friction. One moment you're rolling on a fresh patch of tarmac, the other you're over bumps and glazed surface.
G forces move your body on the seat, your feet are heavier on the pedals during braking or cornering, your head is trying to compensate the forces too, it's WAY different. You only need to try it and see for yourself.

As for the car now, tires, wheel bearings, all suspension bushings, shafts, differential(s) and gearbox get a massive abuse. More grip you have, the worst is the stressing...

Wet weather is ideal to find an empty parking lot and try to break the rear end grip and see what's going on. You wont drift at high speed but you'll get an idea. Keep in mind, that static friction with sliding friction are far from each other.

If your budget permits, there are some pretty nice used RWD cars you can chose from, strip out the whole interior and make fun out of them in some track days.
You wont start drifting unless you learn to drive properly fast first.
You'll get to a point eventually when you can drift instinctively!
Real life drifting can be really costly and dangerous. It requires a lot of skills and technique and most of all, money. Smile
A good person to ask is lfs racer Dido bmw, he does a lot of drift competitions in real life and no doubt he would have tried drifting in lfs aswell sometime
After you have tried out, tell on here how did it feel
...or try out as passenger first, find a local drifter community.
Yep, maybe you should start off being a passenger and observe. A lot of people learned how to drive by observing first.
I learnt how to drift in LFS and it has helped me a lot, of course there are things no sim can recreate but LFS is closest you'll get to real life drifting, it's a great way to practice a lot of different techniques and even tandem drifts, I found doing it in LFS helped me a lot when I did it irl.

Here are some of my real life drifting videos www.youtube.com/equoowe I haven't drifted in awhile but I'm doing a track day in 2 weeks so I'll have some new videos soon.
cool videos, il keep an eye out for your new videos and good luck

his real life drifting/racing must help his online racing i believe as he is very fast in lfs aswell as rl

respect to both of you and good luck

couple of pics i hope he dont mind me sharing as his videos are all on his facebook

I took passenger's seat on Dido's E30 Smile Fantastic experience, with 400HP under the hood and 800kg of weight.
If you want to talk with dido bmw, you can often find him on FBM servers Wink

Drifting Real life?
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG