The online racing simulator
Is S2 worth buying?
(65 posts, started )
`It looks like you speak too much and have no time to race...`
Sorry for starting a flame war
Quote from misu2048 :I have been playing demo for last 3 years

Yes, S2 is worth it if you've been happy with demo content for 3 years
First off, calm your god damn tits people, really, just calm down.

We canot use the argument that there are a league or 3 running, claming there are SO MUCH PEOPLE online. We have to face it, unless you are more than avarage dedicated, league racing is not for you.
League racing is still active, but it's going on a life support. Slowly this is fading away and in truth it stand and falls on how the other newcomers multiplayer behaviour is. If they nail it, then I'm affraight that's the nail in the coffin for LFS.

"But is it then impossible to find good racing?" - No. But you have to accept that you will only find a very narrow track sellection. You basically only have Cargame's server left now, and some other servers with 1 driving and 2 people beeing in spectator mode for the last 10 hours. And of course, there are demo servers up, but I guess you are tired of them?

"But but... is the game worth the money?" Yes. Even tho it is on selfdestruct now, there still is a good amount of fun to be had. You can test your skills by doing some hotlaps, learn tracks in singleplayer modes, you can accept that very few online options, or you can do one of the few remaining leagues. For what it costs, it's cheap, but you have accept sacrifices. If you have a limited budget and you're having several different games you have to chose from - I'd save the money and wait to see how the newcomers perform.
Yes if you have the time for league racing. We can sill manage max grids in GTR endurance series even with these naysayers being too lazy to show up. So their excuse is that "lfs is dead" so they have a reason to skip it.
Endurance racing in LFS? Considering they take place with static weather, static time and no mechanical wear, I'm not surprised a lot of people pass on that.
Quote from Matrixi :Endurance racing in LFS? Considering they take place with static weather, static time and no mechanical wear, I'm not surprised a lot of people pass on that.

I don't know where you have been for the last ~10 years, but endurance racing has been one of the biggest draws of LFS, atleast when it comes to competitive racing.
I never said it wasn't, I just said why a lot of people don't bother with endurance racing in LFS due to its very static nature. Not having a day/night cycle in a 24 hour race for example is a pretty major immersion breaker.
Quote from Matrixi :Endurance racing in LFS? Considering they take place with static weather, static time and no mechanical wear, I'm not surprised a lot of people pass on that.

Have you ever done it? Even with static weather it is experience worth doing but it is hard to explain why.
Also you took "We can sill manage max grids in GTR endurance series" and somehow twisted it into "a lot of people pass on that."

Quote from The Very End :text

Last race information: (08:00 - 21 Feb '13)
Sorry, but if you are not even playing anymore how would you know more about these things than people who are? How many years ago was your last league race?
In last similiar thread I posted screenshots of last weekends races but I guess people will rather believe what they want anyway, without bothering too much about reality.

Quote :We have to face it, unless you are more than avarage dedicated, league racing is not for you.

With 14,630 posts you seem more than average dedicated

Again, is it strange to say "this needs so much dedication!" but one sentence later complain that there are not enough leagues.
If you can not bring up the dedication for even one league race, what good are more leagues going to you anyway?

To be honest I am tired of people on forum who after years still have not figured out such basic things. And who to every newcomer describe everything in drabest color possible by making it seem as if one needs to practice 8 hours each day and be part of some elite club to be allowed one yearly race.

It seems someone should write a tutorial on league racing because there seem to be so many rumors and false asumptions about it.
But then it should not need a tutorial on how to use a calender!
https://www.lfsforum.net/calendar.php

Still if there is interesst maybe I just might write such guide, because maybe it really is confusing to some? Like where to start or how to sign up.
Quote from Gutholz :Have you ever done it? Even with static weather it is experience worth doing.
Also you took "We can sill manage max grids in GTR endurance series" and somehow twisted it into "a lot of people pass on that."

Yup, took part in a 24 hour race in the S1 days, the (drift) team I was racing for finished second which we were all pretty happy with. I did find the endurance experience to be lacking due to the static nature of long LFS races, which has remained mostly the same since then.

If endurance and cargame is the only life that LFS has remaining, can you honestly call it healthy when you compare that to something like iRentals massive population or AC, which doesn't even have multiplayer yet? That was my point regarding that.

Edit: More actually on-topic, I think LFS is still easily worth what it costs for new players. I'm a bit jealous for newcomers actually, getting to explore LFS content as a totally fresh experience. Easily the best bang for buck sim in my catalogue.
Was there even damage, fuel or tire wear in S1 days?

Quote : If endurance and cargame is the only life that LFS has remaining,

If...
But it is not like that.

Quote :can you honestly call it healthy when you compare that to something like iRentals massive population or AC, which doesn't even have multiplayer yet? That was my point regarding that.

Not sure what is to compare there?
iRacing has no driver changes and AC has no multiplayer yet so in neither one can do endurance.
Not sure what "is called healthy" but since years each week I race in big grid, it is fun, other drivers are nice, not sure why anything else should matter.

For start, why not just go to cityliga.de or absolute-beginners.nl or something else you can find in this or other forums and see for yourself instead of these speculations...
Quote from Matrixi :I never said it wasn't, I just said why a lot of people don't bother with endurance racing in LFS due to its very static nature. Not having a day/night cycle in a 24 hour race for example is a pretty major immersion breaker.

LFS does have mechanical wear. Well, it has mechanical damage. In a 24hour race that is certainly enough to be honest. This isn't real life, we don't need random air hoses disconnecting...
Quote from Bmxtwins :LFS does have mechanical wear. Well, it has mechanical damage. In a 24hour race that is certainly enough to be honest. This isn't real life, we don't need random air hoses disconnecting...

l
CAN YOU NOT HANDLE THE RANDOM HOES?!
Random air hoes
2HOT2HANDLE
Quote from Gutholz :Have you ever done it? Even with static weather it is experience worth doing but it is hard to explain why.

Last race information: (08:00 - 21 Feb '13)
Sorry, but if you are not even playing anymore how would you know more about these things than people who are? How many years ago was your last league race?
In last similiar thread I posted screenshots of last weekends races but I guess people will rather believe what they want anyway, without bothering too much about reality.

With 14,630 posts you seem more than average dedicated

Again, is it strange to say "this needs so much dedication!" but one sentence later complain that there are not enough leagues.
If you can not bring up the dedication for even one league race, what good are more leagues going to you anyway?

To be honest I am tired of people on forum who after years still have not figured out such basic things. And who to every newcomer describe everything in drabest color possible by making it seem as if one needs to practice 8 hours each day and be part of some elite club to be allowed one yearly race.

It seems someone should write a tutorial on league racing because there seem to be so many rumors and false asumptions about it.
But then it should not need a tutorial on how to use a calender!
https://www.lfsforum.net/calendar.php

Still if there is interesst maybe I just might write such guide, because maybe it really is confusing to some? Like where to start or how to sign up.

I agree it's been a long time since I did a public appearance inside LFS, but that does not mean I have not been up to date with it
For example, last week I did some hotlapping and offline driving (hotlapping I were too slow to get new PB's and the offline racing because some internet problems). But, the main thing is that I have been keeping an close eye to what my team does when it comes to league racing. Even tho I'm not racing it myself, I keep myself updated.

Hehe, I must giggle a little when you say I'm dedicated because I just write too much crap on this forum, I guess you got me there, but let's rather name it as a trivial thing I do because I like the people of this place, even tho sometimes it can be a little too much drama for my taste

League racing is not dead, that's true, and if I made it sound like that I'm sorry. But the amount, in numbers and participants in total is decreasing. Doing a full season in certain leagues have proven to be hard, simply because people are tired and losing motivation.

But back to the public scene, where I think the main discussion here is - it's awfully quiet nowdays. And I don't have to be online to actually see that, most of these things can be checked out by other tools and places For example now - even tho I know it's in not a prime time, there is about 60 licensed people online in LFS. Now, how many of those user are active and racing, and how many are beeing AFK, set as server hosts or doing something else (for example cruising) ? I think that if you take away cruising and all the others, you are left with something under 50% of the original value. Meaning - you'd had to get everyone online on same server to make a full grid. One server that is :/

But, quantity is not allways better, so it's still possible to get good races - but again, you have to accept sacrifices in terms of what you want to drive.
Quote from Gutholz :For start, why not just go to cityliga.de or absolute-beginners.nl or something else you can find in this or other forums and see for yourself instead of these speculations...

Because I couldn't care less about league racing. Quick, unplanned, public (but high quality like DMR), sub one hour sprints are the races where LFS shines the best for me, and those have greatly diminished since the golden years. I don't feel like grinding imaginary points to unlock cars again, or signing up for some league that I must mark on my calendar every time even if I don't feel like playing at that particular moment.

Also, if LFS servers could force the use of H-shifter, clutch and 900 degrees, then I might look in to racing in it again aswell, because atleast that would level out the playing field in the classes I'm interested in.

Quote from Bmxtwins :In a 24hour race that is certainly enough to be honest. This isn't real life, we don't need random air hoses disconnecting...

There's a lot more to mechanical wear than random events. Brakes and engine are a big part of it.
YES , but thats only because i have a shitty pc and havent tried Rfactor2 and Assetto corsa yet so...
I you have low-end PC, then obviously yes.
Quote from The Very End :For example now - even tho I know it's in not a prime time, there is about 60 licensed people online in LFS.

Is that really valid arguement, you found no racing on a weekday 6:00 clock in the morning
At so early times the only thing ony my mind is zzZZzzZzz or "coffeecoffee" but never "hey lets set up the wheel for some racing"
In evening of same day I had nice long race with FBM.
Only thing I did different than you was instead of trying to find servers at godforsaken time in morning, I knew what server to go at more civilized time.

Just get on LFS at predetermined time that you know long in advance so you can plan it, if you want.
Or do like I did: get home, look calender, spontaneously see "oh race in an hour. I will eat something then race."
Or you see: "Oh race tomorrow. This time I actually can practice beforehand."
I does not take much dedication or time.
I understand maybe there is hesitation "to plan your life around a videogame" but it is like that with all things in life.
Everyone who manages to go to a concert before the encore or to a party before everyone is drunkenly asleep, can do this too.
And so often on forum people complain about "no servers" at the excact same time as race is going on, so there were at computer anyway.

On monday this week I was in league with 80+ signed up drivers. On sunday was big oval racing with full grid and livestream. I did not take part there (oval not my thing) instead chose to do a different league where it is always full grids too every sunday.

(I do not like to throw around names of leagues because I respect efforts of organizers too much to use their works as arguements in silly internet discussion. But everyone can look it up in calender and join too.)

With these past races in mind your arguements just seem a bit weak to me.
It only really bothers because such "there is no servers" talk was already around some years ago when I joined LFS. I was almost fooled by it too, who knows how many new players are? What is there to gain for people to tell newcomers such things, an outlet for their own frustration or something? What kind of welcoming is that?
Looking back I am glad I did not fall for it, I would have missed on too much fun.

And I never had to "grind imaginary points to unlock cars" or something like that.
You are not adressing my main concern, the pick-up driving. Look away of the league raing for a moment and you will see the problem easier. The avarage player is a short race racer, therfor we have to take a look on that type of racing / server / People when discussing the matter.

If someone have the tine to do the analyzis, at prime times these days, when you take away league racing, demo servers, crusing, drag and so on, how many servers with People are left for the casual player to join? Again, I belive such players rather tend to go to a short race server than signing up for a league.

But all in all it's irrelevant, if People wang to play they play, I just hope they find good races. At same time I want to give people the right inormation about the status of the game, Instead of some misleading / false promises of a strong and healthy multplayer.
in terms of public multiplayer, there is 1 full racing server. Better than none.
Quote from The Very End :You are not adressing my main concern, the pick-up driving. Look away of the league raing for a moment and you will see the problem easier. The avarage player is a short race racer, therfor we have to take a look on that type of racing / server / People when discussing the matter.

If someone have the tine to do the analyzis, at prime times these days, when you take away league racing, demo servers, crusing, drag and so on, how many servers with People are left for the casual player to join? Again, I belive such players rather tend to go to a short race server than signing up for a league.

But all in all it's irrelevant, if People wang to play they play, I just hope they find good races. At same time I want to give people the right inormation about the status of the game, Instead of some misleading / false promises of a strong and healthy multplayer.

If you take away all the places where people are racing, there's nobody racing.
Yeah, I should have known better than to belive we actually would have a discussion based upon what's really going on

At least for me if I was going online, I would look for a race server, not a cruise server and so on. But I guess you all are cruisers, and in that case, there are servers to chose from.

Edit: BMW - True, and it good that we have a actice server. Problem is that variation, you either have Cargame or you have...?

Is S2 worth buying?
(65 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG