The online racing simulator
Question about travveling, USA
(115 posts, started )
Quote from DeadWolfBones :You've got an Indycar race, a half-decent football team, a half-decent handegg team, and lots of good Mexican food.

Indycar Race????
You mean that little circle that's in a parking lot around a stadium that's about to be demolished?
Football team....Do you watch football? we had the worst record in franchise history this year.
What is hand egg?
Mexican Food? Houston is to Mexican Food what New York is to Italian food.
The best you can get. In fact the BEST Mexican food is in Houston, but east of 45 and south of I-10. You'd think it'd be California, Arizona, New Mexico or West Texas, but nope. It's 300 miles north of Mexico and 90 miles west of Louisiana.
Quote from Blade3562 :insult freedom.

Freedom was the son of Jesus, or something. It's nearly blasphemy.
I'm sorry. I really don't know how to do the fancy copy and paste quote crap....
Shotglass said:
unfortunately the place is also full of texans

Blade replied with
This is very racist and offensive. One of my close friends is currently living in Houston. Just because someone is from Texas doesn't mean anything, in fact most Texans will welcome you and be very friendly if you aren't an arrogant jerk or insult freedom.

I have ancestors and their relatives that fought at Goliad and San Jacinto (lol on both sides) in the Texas Revolution...shotglass is right.
At leasdt were not like the 51st state. You know, Canada?
Quote from Blade3562 :This is very racist and offensive. :chair: One of my close friends is currently living in Houston. Just because someone is from Texas doesn't mean anything, in fact most Texans will welcome you and be very friendly if you aren't an arrogant jerk or insult freedom.

lol
#80 - th84
I was under the impression that most texans were mexicans.?
Quote from thisnameistaken :Freedom was the son of Jesus, or something. It's nearly blasphemy.

I thought Freedom was an old old wooden ship, that was used during the Civil War era.

Or was that Diversity. I always get these American Civil War ships confused.

Quote from Racer X :At leasdt were not like the 51st state. You know, Canada?

I think you guys would be more privileged to become a province of Canada. Maybe you'd learn things like manners and being polite. Also not having a gun collection so large, that your gun collection has a gun collection.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Tor, the first rule of America is every American owns a gun and enjoys showing you and talking about their gun.

You should, at every opportunity, walk up to Americans and ask to see their gun. If they say "I don't own a gun".. It's a lie. They're just shy about the size of their gun. Apologize politely.

Also, Texan isn't a race.

Again a lie and very closed minded. Sure the majority of my friend circle is built around cars guns and girls, but there are plenty of Americans who don't own firearms! 4 of my friends families don't even own one. When I took them to the shooting range was the first time they ever saw a firearm.

Texan is a race by definition a race does not only limit you to physical appearance, but also geographical region, linguistics and cultural lifestyle... (just Google race and find the definition my phone won't paste)

I have been to 43 of the 50 states and after Hawaii and Colorado, Nevada/Arizona/Texas/Wyoking/Dakotas were the best. California New York and Ohio are the worst (And I'm currently in Ohio lol)

And Puerto Rico is the closest thing to the 51st state. But it never happened because their culture is just too different and it will mess up the flag lol. they actually even vote for president.

I don't even know that it's worth contributing if you are going to be so rude and insulting someone's lifestyle just because it is better than yours.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :
I think you guys would be more privileged to become a province of Canada. Maybe you'd learn things like manners and being polite. Also not having a gun collection so large, that your gun collection has a gun collection.

Not trying to insult Canada. I've been to Toronto Niagara Falls and a few other cities, but I don't like the health care system and the funny money (not like our new $100 is any better lol). You guys also use Big Brother for everything. Turnpike cameras off of plates fines off of cameras scan your ID for every alcohol purchase.

But you guys do use KMs (I hate MPH). And have more land than you know what to do with! And that awesome accent Ay. Lol. Also you guys only have to wait 15 years to import a car that didn't meet safety standards!

That being said I'm going back to Niagara Falls in a few weeks because that view is unreal!
Quote from Blade3562 :Not trying to insult Canada. I've been to Toronto Niagara Falls and a few other cities, but I don't like the health care system and the funny money (not like our new $100 is any better lol). You guys also use Big Brother for everything. Turnpike cameras off of plates fines off of cameras scan your ID for every alcohol purchase.

What's wrong with the health care system? Is it really that terrible that everyone pays a small amount (or nothing if you're actually in poverty) towards a system that they will all inevitably need (be it early life with illness or broken bones, middle age with arthritis or other random afflictions, or in later life when everything starts to go).

Or is paying $5000 out of pocket for a broken limb really that much better. To compare, that $5000 is about 6.5 years worth of my MSP payments, and I'm in the 3rd or 4th income bracket.

As for the cameras, that's more region specific. Around here there's none other than private businesses having them. Vancouver I can see there being more (due to population density). That said, having cameras isn't always a bad thing.

There are so many situations where there just aren't enough police to effectively see everything (or even crimes that happen where there's no chance of a police officer being nearby). Having cameras extends the police's ability to efficiently fight crime.

UK takes it a bit too extreme as using it as a police replacement, but there is a middle ground where it's actually a good thing for safety of everyone.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :What's wrong with the health care system? Is it really that terrible that everyone pays a small amount (or nothing if you're actually in poverty) towards a system that they will all inevitably need (be it early life with illness or broken bones, middle age with arthritis or other random afflictions, or in later life when everything starts to go).

Or is paying $5000 out of pocket for a broken limb really that much better. To compare, that $5000 is about 6.5 years worth of my MSP payments, and I'm in the 3rd or 4th income bracket.

As for the cameras, that's more region specific. Around here there's none other than private businesses having them. Vancouver I can see there being more (due to population density). That said, having cameras isn't always a bad thing.

There are so many situations where there just aren't enough police to effectively see everything (or even crimes that happen where there's no chance of a police officer being nearby). Having cameras extends the police's ability to efficiently fight crime.

UK takes it a bit too extreme as using it as a police replacement, but there is a middle ground where it's actually a good thing for safety of everyone.

Look Dawes, just because y'all play football funny doesn't mean you're your own country. We all understand why you only have 3 downs. If you played with the full four, why y'all would freeze to death!
Plus, Toronto has illegal aliens, gun crime and a mayor that smokes crack.
What could possibly be more American than that?

"Or is paying $5000 out of pocket for a broken limb really that much better. To compare, that $5000 is about 6.5 years worth of my MSP payments, and I'm in the 3rd or 4th income bracket."

You get the bill for that. Who said anything about actually paying it?
Before I start let me admit that I've never been further west than Alabama, but I am accusomed to traveling insde of the United States on the East Coast. I'll assume that the west is not much different.

1. Use Trivago.com to find a hotel. It's new (to me), and it has been very helpful in planning my trip this March to Martinsville for the Cup race. For example here's a 3 star hotel I found using Trivago.com (I don't need luxury, but 1 or 2 stars usually isn't good for a week or more stay) in San Fran. for $110 (80.89 Euros) a night (plus tax I'm sure). Phoenix (closer to LA and the Grand Canyon and less popular) you'd be looking at about the same price for a decent hotel room . Like this one

2. Why did you chose San Fransico out of curiosity? Along with that question, why do you want to go on this trip exactly? Adventure? Cultural Experiance? The Beach?

3. If you're coming for a cultural experiance there's a VERY cultural experiance in Phoenix on the weekend of Sunday, March 2nd. OR, there's also a race in Las Vegas on the following weekend (March 9th), but Phoenix would be a better fan experiance probably. I'm a little bias on the NASCAR idea though, so I'll receed to other things if you're doing it for reasons other than culture.

4. I cannot really contribute much more unless I know why you want to go on this vacation . As somebody said earlier I do suggest going to see the Grand Canyon since you are semi-close to it. I obviously haven't seen it before, but I do beleive that it would be something to remember. Grand Canyon from San Fran. looks to be about 11 hours. From Phoenix is looks like 3 and a half. From LA it looks like 7 and a half. Las Vegas is a little over 4 hours drive from the Grand Canyon.

Hope I can help .
Always use private browsing mode when shopping on travel sites. This removes the cookies which that industry is notorious for using to track your visit and increase prices on subsequent visits to the site (when your "profile" as a consumer shows greater interest).

As for the healthcare debate, this isn't really the thread for it. Otherwise I would point out just what a diabolically awful laughing stock the American healthcare system is (in which I am told by a friend training as a doctor in the US that foreigners get preferential emergency treatment because they almost always have insurance so the hospital knows it will get paid! And this is the system that the RIGHT WING invented... *laughs uncontrollably*).
Quote from Racer Y :Look Dawes, just because y'all play football funny doesn't mean you're your own country.

So, having our own constitution, flag, national anthem and even official ceremonies where we took proper sovereignty from Britain doesn't make us our own country. By that logic, every country is another US state... which I guess does align really well with the US' opinion on the whole world. Bravo.

Quote from Racer Y :We all understand why you only have 3 downs. If you played with the full four, why y'all would freeze to death!

Why does every American argument boil down to American Football? Is your country really so bad at everything else, that you need to try to use a game that no one else plays to prove superiority? You lump Canadian Football as the same sport, but there are several distinct rules that make it different enough.

Quote from Racer Y :
Plus, Toronto has illegal aliens, gun crime and a mayor that smokes crack.
What could possibly be more American than that?

So you've described nearly every city in the world. Every city has immigrants of dubious legality. Every city has gun crime. Maybe it lacks the crack smoking, but I guess (again) every city is American. Bravo.

Quote from Racer Y :
"Or is paying $5000 out of pocket for a broken limb really that much better. To compare, that $5000 is about 6.5 years worth of my MSP payments, and I'm in the 3rd or 4th income bracket."

You get the bill for that. Who said anything about actually paying it?

So the American solution to health care is:
  1. Get bill
  2. Don't pay bill
  3. Get debtors on your ass for not paying bill.
  4. ???
  5. Bankrupcy
Sounds so much better than paying $50 a month. And financially responsible too! No wonder the American economy is flourishing and the best in the world! (I wish I didn't have to say this, but I'm being EXTREMELY sarcastic with this last paragraph, Americans might not understand it.)

Also, you guys should probably ignore Racer Y

I've never had this problem with travel sites. I write down prices and dates and have returned back to the same site multiple times with the same price, but you can never be too careful
Quote from Cornys :Also, you guys should probably ignore Racer Y

How else will I increase my post count while also seeming semi-intelligent?!
To answer a question on the other page:
Why SA and why USA? The reason why we go to SA is because it is the easiest place to fly to in US from where we live. Also because there are things closeby, like Grand Cannyon and Las Vegas, and so on
And why we want to go to US is because I have allways wabted to see the place for myself. I like to travvel and see new places and new people

Sorry fof the horrible grammar, writing on a phonee sucks.
Quote from dawesdust_12 : So, having our own constitution, flag, national anthem and even official ceremonies where we took proper sovereignty from Britain doesn't make us our own country.gic, every country is another US state... which I guess does align really well with the US' opinion on the whole world. Bravo.

Why does every American argument boil down to American Football? Is your country really so bad at everything else, that you need to try to use a game that no one else plays to prove superiority? You lump Canadian Football as the same sport, but there are several distinct rules that make it different enough.

So you've described nearly every city in the world. Every city has immigrants of dubious legality. Every city has gun crime. Maybe it lacks the crack smoking, but I guess (again) every city is American. Bravo.

1. Get bill
  2. Don't pay bill
  3. Get debtors on your ass for not paying bill.
  4. ???
  5. Bankrupcy
Sounds so much better than paying $50 a month. And financially responsible too! No wonder the American economy is flourishing and the best in the world! (I wish I didn't have to say this, but I'm being EXTREMELY sarcastic with this last paragraph, Americans might not understand it.)

Hmmmm......

So, having our own constitution, flag, national anthem and even official ceremonies where we took proper sovereignty from Britain doesn't make us our own country
Every state has it's own flag and constitution . Even Ohio. Only. WE gained our independence from Mexico and Hawaii was their own kingdom. So what's your point?

Why does every American argument boil down to American Football?
Why? Cause we don't know a damned thing about clubbing seals!

So you've described nearly every city in the world. Every city has immigrants of dubious legality. Every city has gun crime. Maybe it lacks the crack smoking,

....I only heard of two other mayors smoking crack. One was in Detroit the other in Washington D.C.........you were saying?

1. Get bill..................yeah
  2. Don't pay bill...........right
  3. Get debtors on your ass for not paying bill..........use call blocking
  4. ???.................................???
  5. Bankrupcy...............how can I go bankrupt if I didn't pay any money? Gheesh!
about 10 yeas ago, my son broke his arm pretty bad skateboarding. It was gross. Bones sticking out...yuck. Thanks to trickle down economics and being trickled down on economically, I didn't have proper healthcare insurance for him.
ROFL it was a GOOD thing I didn't. Because if I had the insurance, I still wouldn't be able to afford the deductable and the co-pay and THEN I'd be bankrupt. Well dueling government agencies were trying to get all their little ducks in a row by spending allotted money. We played these two groups to get the treatment for?????? FREEEEEE!!!!!
ROFL. we sort of got caught pulling the scam. But by the time that came out, these beuraucratic dimwits were so antagonistic to each other, and very much fighting with each other, they put us off to the side claiming the OTHER agency made us screw up the paperwork!

I'm the type of American nobody likes to talk about. I grew up in poverty, was told I was "too white for welfare". Yeah. That's what the lady at the food stamp place told my wife when she applied for AFDC when she was pregnant with our first kid (Pinebox).
I learned to do whatever it takes to get by and make no apologies whatsoever to who I screwed over or what scams I created or laws I broke to promote the survival of my family.
Being that way, I do things a bit differently.

Man, you know dawes, with the amount of posts where you F*** with people, you sure get bent out of shape when someone does it back.
I'd a thought you'd have a better sense of humor and thicker skin.
I didn't realize you were so.... sensitive.

Would it make you feel better if I told you I saw Triumph in concert?
Oh wait. I'm sorry... the bass player was wearing a....Toronto Blue Jays jersey...

Hey. I tried.....
Quote from Racer Y :Every state has it's own flag and constitution . Even Ohio. Only. WE gained our independence from Mexico and Hawaii was their own kingdom. So what's your point?

Most of us foreigners struggle with the notion of the state, seeing it as different from the nation state. We look at America and consider the place to be one country, and certainly the rampant patriotism and non-stop right wing popaganda encouraging that view point even gets aired over here (Rupert Murdoch's empire does cover much of Western Civilisation afterall).

What we often forget is that the states in the union are still countries - they just aren't independent countries.

The same sometimes works in reverse of course, with Americans frequently viewing Europe as a country and it's member states as not too different to their own states - but that couldn't be further from the [current] truth.

The reality is that we have different frames of reference when discussing these things.

Having said that, Canada is absolutely not a part of your union. Except the Alaskan bit, which isn't Canadian.

Canada is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations, America is not (which is mutually agreeable). Both have seats at the United Nations, and neither of these things are of any consequence now that we're all owned by China.
Quote from Racer Y :Hmmmm......

So, having our own constitution, flag, national anthem and even official ceremonies where we took proper sovereignty from Britain doesn't make us our own country
Every state has it's own flag and constitution . Even Ohio. Only. WE gained our independence from Mexico and Hawaii was their own kingdom. So what's your point?

Why does every American argument boil down to American Football?
Why? Cause we don't know a damned thing about clubbing seals!

So you've described nearly every city in the world. Every city has immigrants of dubious legality. Every city has gun crime. Maybe it lacks the crack smoking,

....I only heard of two other mayors smoking crack. One was in Detroit the other in Washington D.C.........you were saying?

1. Get bill..................yeah
  2. Don't pay bill...........right
  3. Get debtors on your ass for not paying bill..........use call blocking
  4. ???.................................???
  5. Bankrupcy...............how can I go bankrupt if I didn't pay any money? Gheesh!
about 10 yeas ago, my son broke his arm pretty bad skateboarding. It was gross. Bones sticking out...yuck. Thanks to trickle down economics and being trickled down on economically, I didn't have proper healthcare insurance for him.
ROFL it was a GOOD thing I didn't. Because if I had the insurance, I still wouldn't be able to afford the deductable and the co-pay and THEN I'd be bankrupt. Well dueling government agencies were trying to get all their little ducks in a row by spending allotted money. We played these two groups to get the treatment for?????? FREEEEEE!!!!!
ROFL. we sort of got caught pulling the scam. But by the time that came out, these beuraucratic dimwits were so antagonistic to each other, and very much fighting with each other, they put us off to the side claiming the OTHER agency made us screw up the paperwork!

I'm the type of American nobody likes to talk about. I grew up in poverty, was told I was "too white for welfare". Yeah. That's what the lady at the food stamp place told my wife when she applied for AFDC when she was pregnant with our first kid (Pinebox).
I learned to do whatever it takes to get by and make no apologies whatsoever to who I screwed over or what scams I created or laws I broke to promote the survival of my family.
Being that way, I do things a bit differently.

Man, you know dawes, with the amount of posts where you F*** with people, you sure get bent out of shape when someone does it back.
I'd a thought you'd have a better sense of humor and thicker skin.
I didn't realize you were so.... sensitive.

Would it make you feel better if I told you I saw Triumph in concert?
Oh wait. I'm sorry... the bass player was wearing a....Toronto Blue Jays jersey...

Hey. I tried.....

Please learn to use the quote function. This is just an incoherent mess of text.
Quote from Becky Rose :Most of us foreigners struggle with the notion of the state, seeing it as different from the nation state. We look at America and consider the place to be one country, and certainly the rampant patriotism and non-stop right wing popaganda encouraging that view point even gets aired over here (Rupert Murdoch's empire does cover much of Western Civilisation afterall).

What we often forget is that the states in the union are still countries - they just aren't independent countries.

The same sometimes works in reverse of course, with Americans frequently viewing Europe as a country and it's member states as not too different to their own states - but that couldn't be further from the [current] truth.

The reality is that we have different frames of reference when discussing these things.

Having said that, Canada is absolutely not a part of your union. Except the Alaskan bit, which isn't Canadian.

Canada is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations, America is not (which is mutually agreeable). Both have seats at the United Nations, and neither of these things are of any consequence now that we're all owned by China.

..................Having said that, Canada is absolutely not a part of your union. Except the Alaskan bit, which isn't Canadian.....................
I'm just razzin Dawes. He's been making goofy anti-American comments for years. I don't take him serious and some are pretty funny but I do think he needs a little taste of his own medicine now and then or else he gets boring.

To be honest I had no clue that the Irish, the Scotts and the Welsh all had different languages. It wasn't until I started playing this game that I really understood the difference between the U.K. and England.
But believe it or not, most of us DO realize the difference between the E.U. member states and like the states of the U.S. or Mexico or the provinces in Canada. Or even the prefectures in China. We just don't know where it is on a map.
Rupert Murdoch.... Rupert Murdoch? LOL YOu think when He saw Citizen Kane, he wished the movie was about him?
Hmmmm... The closet thing I can think of that would help to know and understand what it's like to be an American in my neck of the woods is Steinbeck's Tortilla Flats. If I can read Good Omens you can read that.

Oops I'm sorry Very end. You started a thread about going to San Francisco or something - right?
Quote from The Very End :To answer a question on the other page:
Why SA and why USA? The reason why we go to SA is because it is the easiest place to fly to in US from where we live. Also because there are things closeby, like Grand Cannyon and Las Vegas, and so on
And why we want to go to US is because I have allways wabted to see the place for myself. I like to travvel and see new places and new people

Sorry fof the horrible grammar, writing on a phonee sucks.

Hum, it is weird to me that lights to SA are easy to get, but flights to a place like Vegas or San Diego or Phoenix isn't being that they are not much further.

I feel as though the US may as well be divided between multipule different nations. For example, the South East, the Mid-West, and North East are all so different as far as people it's hard to call them the same in my experiance. I've never been to the South West, but I'm sure it's different as well

Hope you enjoy
Quote from DeadWolfBones :A couple other things:

1. You can rent a car at 21, but it might cost more than if you're 25 or older.

This man speaks the truth, I rented a car in Las Vegas and I was 23. It was kinda expensive now that I think about it, it was probably that.

Also, if you go to Las Vegas or LA, go to Exotic Racing they have great cars to drive and the instructors are very cool.
I've been many times in the USA and especifically un SF. I have always found it a very nice and friendly place where I can just be myself and act like I do elsewhere, is not that different from Europe in my opinion.
I've been in SF in exactly those months and it was rather cold. Long pants and a notmal jacket should do the job, but since you come from the very north you can probably go around without t-shirt Big grin
One of the trips was from LA to Canada and the way back, around 10.000km in a Cadillac Escalade and was awesome. Not a single problem on the road, never drove in a dangerous area by mistake, not a single ticket and very easy to drive and park.
I think people who hate the USA is because they only want to see the political side, which I must agree, sucks big time, but it actually is a wonderful country full of nice people, at least that's my impression after my many visits.

Question about travveling, USA
(115 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG