The online racing simulator
Any racing lfs tips ?
(15 posts, started )
Any racing lfs tips ?
Hi , a week ago i got my g27 wheel and i have been practicing but i really suck lol, before the wheel i raced with mouse and did some great times but now i cand iven get a good lap time . Iam not complaining about the wheel , its awesome and its tottaly new experience for me , also o feel like iam learning the tracks from begining . I always lock up my brakes and not turning inaf the wheel I think, any one got some racing tips to improove my lap times?
It's just a matter of getting used to the wheel. Practice, practice, practice
Quote from ImudilaSkyline :It's just a matter of getting used to the wheel. Practice, practice, practice

this exactly. when you are used to it, you will notice racing will be way more exciting as well
True.
4 months ago I've changed my controller: Before that I used joystick (for 4-5 years). I was quite good with it. When I changed to a steering wheel, first weeks I really went from wall to wall. I've raced (at least tried to) almost every day, and this week: a new PB with XFG on BL1. I was quite happy. Enjoying racing nowadays!
Just try, try again, practice practice and practice. Good luck!
Indeed. Don't worry, it will all come along!
Best of luck and have fun
thank you all , i started with autocross layouts to improove my skills , and will go back to demo servers because i dont want to drop any safety rating in cargame nl again :]
Ex-mouser myself. What I did first was before moving to wheel was sticking to mouse+pedals for a little while so I could work on eye-foot coordination, while staying in the comfort zone of mouse steering. You might want to use slow cars(ie XFG) on tracks you know well, so you don't have to worry too much with throttle input or reference points.

Then once you move to wheel+pedals, try a small wheel rotation angle first. Something like 180°, even less if that makes you more comfortable. You could even try with reduced FFB. Then once you get comfortable with the wheel, increase rotation angle and FFB progressively, until you find the sweet spot. You say you are constantly not putting enough steering input. Maybe you're using a rotation angle too big for the time being, what wheel rotation angle are you using? Could it possibly be fixed with a reduced wheel rotation angle?

I find it surprising that you say you are locking the brakes too much. I find the braking phase in LFS quite forgiving for most cars, in most situations. Could it possibly be fixed with decreased front brake bias? Or simply with ABS, if available with the car you're using?

Also: when I switched to wheel, I expected to be slower, or at the very least less consistent. But the exact opposite happened. Of course you need to put the adaptation time, but on the long term I think wheel is definitely faster in most situations.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Ex-mouser myself. What I did first was before moving to wheel was sticking to mouse+pedals for a little while so I could work on eye-foot coordination, while staying in the comfort zone of mouse steering. You might want to use slow cars(ie XFG) on tracks you know well, so you don't have to worry too much with throttle input or reference points.

Then once you move to wheel+pedals, try a small wheel rotation angle first. Something like 180°, even less if that makes you more comfortable. You could even try with reduced FFB. Then once you get comfortable with the wheel, increase rotation angle and FFB progressively, until you find the sweet spot. You say you are constantly not putting enough steering input. Maybe you're using a rotation angle too big for the time being, what wheel rotation angle are you using? Could it possibly be fixed with a reduced wheel rotation angle?

I find it surprising that you say you are locking the brakes too much. I find the braking phase in LFS quite forgiving for most cars, in most situations. Could it possibly be fixed with decreased front brake bias? Or simply with ABS, if available with the car you're using?

Also: when I switched to wheel, I expected to be slower, or at the very least less consistent. But the exact opposite happened. Of course you need to put the adaptation time, but on the long term I think wheel is definitely faster in most situations.

i use diffrent wheel angle for each car according to the car setup . road cars 720 , gt cars 540 and formula cars , 450 .

i actually practiced my braking today and am much better now :]
Quote from shimon-ifraimov :i use diffrent wheel angle for each car according to the car setup . road cars 720 , gt cars 540 and formula cars , 450...

You can shorten them, for the start (as you've said you don't think you turn the wheel enough). Try half of the number you stated above and you'll see your cars responding more quickly. Then gradually increase them to their appropriate number, once you get the hold of it.
i just got a wheel 1 month ago and i was racing with joystick before i got the wheel. i found that if i turned of manual gears you can eventually turn of auto gears after you got control over new controller. some of you might think differently but i did it like that.
Quote from k_badam :i just got a wheel 1 month ago and i was racing with joystick before i got the wheel. i found that if i turned of manual gears you can eventually turn of auto gears after you got control over new controller. some of you might think differently but i did it like that.

Well iam actually starting to get better , my shifting might not be so fast but iam getting better. Iam using the clutch peddle althogh it set to auto clutch for now till i know how to down shift properly . Iam getting some decent lap times but still not as fast as i did with mouse . Also i wanted to ask if there is a way to t
Reduce wheel weight ? Because it feels like my old 89 405 pego
Quote from shimon-ifraimov :Also i wanted to ask if there is a way to t
Reduce wheel weight ? Because it feels like my old 89 405 pego

Try reducing the force feedback.
Quote from shimon-ifraimov : there is a way to t
Reduce wheel weight ?

LFS gives the force from the front wheels. you can try to lower the inclination in the car setup. most setups have this on the maximum and it makes a lot of resistance to steering.

i'm not sure, but i think inclination adds camber as you steer more, so less inclination makes more understeer :S
Quote from CarlLefrancois :LFS gives the force from the front wheels. you can try to lower the inclination in the car setup. most setups have this on the maximum and it makes a lot of resistance to steering.

i'm not sure, but i think inclination adds camber as you steer more, so less inclination makes more understeer :S

I think what you mean is caster, not inclination, isn't it?
Quote from Flame CZE :I think what you mean is caster, not inclination, isn't it?

you're right. i think inclination isn't even in the LFS setup options anymore.

Any racing lfs tips ?
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG