The online racing simulator
Quote from BlueFlame :Seriously? If there's one thing LFS never had going for it, it was FFB..

Cementing your reputation again.
There are some rumbled curves in LFS that you can feel, but yes, vibration isn't feedback from the wheels. It's still arguably feedback, though.
Quote from tristancliffe :

Cementing your reputation again.

I didn't realise real cars had a ffb deadzone in the middle. My bad.
Quote from BlueFlame :I didn't realise real cars had a ffb deadzone in the middle. My bad.

Cars with Servo has deadzone everywhere.

And no, you don't 'feel' curbs in the wheel unless you hit them square on.
Rumble strips just vibrates the shit out of everything inside the car.

In formula cars you don't feel it as much.
Feel bumps in the wheel?
Perhaps in some vehicles/curbs that I have never experienced. I don't with STCC-like cars and open wheel Formula Renault 2.0. It is transferred to the chassi and you feel it in your backbone, sort of.
Vibrations that are conveyed to the wheel is a bad thing, and engineers work hard to eliminate them of course. Same with bikes.

For PC gaming it is natural to transmit that rumble-feeling via a FFB wheel/hardware so that you get some sort of awareness. And it's a good thing in my perspective because I do not have an interactive seat/chassi.

But as dawesdust say, it is probably so that people often mix up a "nice feeling" with exaggerated gaming FFB conveyed to the wheel. I'm not saying I would like being without it, it certainly adds to the gaming experience. Some others could probably fill in here with experiences from other real race cars and tracks.
Agree'd with Ingolf.

Normally what feels most 'realistic' is violent FFB because you don't have your ass there to feel the beating it normally takes on a race track.
I wasn't suggesting LFS should introduce it, by the way

As for the central deadzone, I was under the impression that is not LFS' fault but is due to the design of the controllers.
Quote from BlueFlame :I didn't realise real cars had a ffb deadzone in the middle. My bad.

I bet that 90% of that deadzone is caused by Logitech hardware and not by the game itself.
LFS FFB spongy? Compared with AC?
I'd say the absolute opposite is true. AC has decent FFB, but it has its own deadzone issues (much more so than LFS too imo), is nowhere near as sharp feeling as it should be for the Elise, and then there's the ridiculous latency issues which come with <50fps.

To my mind LFS FFB is exactly what all FFB should be in every sim. It's completely honest. It's not trying to hide tyre model deficiencies with "effects", it is what it is.
Quote from Dennis93 :You don't have your ass there to feel the beating it normally takes

Rough Friday night?
Quote from sinbad :LFS FFB spongy? Compared with AC?
I'd say the absolute opposite is true. AC has decent FFB, but it has its own deadzone issues (much more so than LFS too imo), is nowhere near as sharp feeling as it should be for the Elise, and then there's the ridiculous latency issues which come with <50fps.

Yeah, that's true. AC felt pretty bad until I got a new GPU, so it's clearly affected by low FPS.

Quote from sinbad :To my mind LFS FFB is exactly what all FFB should be in every sim. It's completely honest. It's not trying to hide tyre model deficiencies with "effects", it is what it is.

This.
Quote from Whiskey :I bet that 90% of that deadzone is caused by Logitech hardware and not by the game itself.

tru dat

But the other games compensate for it at least.
Regarding the ffb of ac. The elise feels nothing like my vx, not even similar.. I run ac at over 150fps.
Quote from Guthix :Makes me happy to see that LFS isn't actually dead, as we all thought.

Speak for yourself.
Quote from Racer X NZ :I'm not getting at the great job your doing with your servers, if you've got 4 or 5 mil US we'll sell you NZ citizenship and you can move here !

FYI, we do speak a form of english, in NZ anyway, Australian is it's own language and I fully understand the need for interpreters if your dealing with them.

It really doesn't matter how well I drive on your servers, the lag is the issue. I can be on a fast fibre connection and, due to our location, there is still too much lag to be acceptable.

Yes, we have servers here but until there is an update that gets people racing again, it's pretty dead in this part of the world.

So, YAY, can't wait for an update to get things going again.

when the internet router baloons get blown around do you lag more?
Quote from BlueFlame :After not playing LFS for along time. rFactor2 and Assetto Corsa make LFS FFB feel spongy and outdated.

your LFS setup has the springs too soft with not enough damping. the forces this gives you through the wheel are soft and spongy. this is LFS's fault.
yes yes, i like pls
Some of you are all bitching and moaning about one thing or another. Scawen has replied to our request, so leave it be.

Joecool ( remember him) sums it all up all those many years ago....

Quote from JoeCool :Living in a senseless world, there is nothing left to say....nothing more than senseless words......Dub Dub Dub de Dub

Not a cheap plug at an old movie, but he sings it in 2005/2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... nggc&feature=youtu.be

So can we please just accept what Scawen has said, and we all move on. I know a lot of the late posts on this thread have been positive due to 3d, and that's awesome, but for the negative people...move on somewhere else please

Cheers

Fordie
+1
Hello everyone, I've been playing LFS from a long time, and every year I stop for a while... Yeah, it's preety impressive that we're not having so recent updates for this time, but Scawen text made me have a little hope for updates...

I see everyone is talking about graphics and all those things, but I don't know if it's just me, but I can't "feel" racing in any other racing game instead LFS, I don't know why, but it's just like this...

Reading Scawen reply, I got an idea, since LFS was only a team of 3, why would it have a community workgroup, like the open source softwares, like contributors????

Don't know how difficult can it be, but LFS could have a new direction and faster updates...

What do you think???? See ya!
Quote from jaypur :...but I don't know if it's just me, but I can't "feel" racing in any other racing game instead LFS, I don't know why, but it's just like this...

I have to agree with you there. As I once expressed it; "...in every other sim out there, it feels to me as the environment is moving in under a sitting car, while in LFS it actually feels like the car is moving". Makes the whole difference to me .

My opinion is that turning LFS into open source would not do much good in the long run.
Quote from jaypur :Reading Scawen reply, I got an idea, since LFS was only a team of 3, why would it have a community workgroup, like the open source softwares, like contributors????

Don't know how difficult can it be, but LFS could have a new direction and faster updates...

What do you think???? See ya!

We've talked about that before. See the posts above.
Quote from easyed :LOL ..... sorry, you may be right generally speaking, but when GT4 was delayed for 2 years (and online play delayed even longer here in the US, I gave up on it ..... and found LFS and my eyes were opened to what a real sim could be and what results when online play is given priority over eye candy and 600 useless cars. And Polyphony was even more uninformative about the delays despite epic complaining on the forums.

Despite the delays, I find LFS much more "successful" as a sim, and the delays and lack of communication at times much more tolerable than Polyphony's efforts. And much more "human" - less "bureaucratic", less hype and for the most part more responsive to users. The GT community forums were populated by the more avid racers - all clamoring for online play for years and wondering why the corporation was so uncommunicative with it's most dedicated users (though that group was a SMALL percentage of all the users). Appealing to the demands of the few "serious" racers wouldn't increase the mass sales to casual users that they were aiming for. Online play wasn't a priority apparently. Little did we know at the time, but LFS had already been there done that!! And done it well.

In my case, it was the delay and poor communication by a major developer that got me on the right track, so to speak

I do miss the good ol' days when Scawen would share frequently - things like vids of getting to test the real FBM. I'm sure Scawen misses those days of real "community" as well - at least I hope so. It was such a contrast (and still is) to the distance and sterility of Polyphony's mass marketing mediocrity.

True and all, I don't know any other games / simulators as good as LFS. However it's just that we've been waiting for, what, five years soon?
-
(Guthix) DELETED by Flame CZE : spam
-
(CodeLyoko1) DELETED by Flame CZE : spam
-
(Guthix) DELETED by Flame CZE : spam
Quote from Ingolf :I have to agree with you there. As I once expressed it; "...in every other sim out there, it feels to me as the environment is moving in under a sitting car, while in LFS it actually feels like the car is moving". Makes the whole difference to me .

My opinion is that turning LFS into open source would not do much good in the long run.

why? if the devs could make a good system to do that i can't see why is bad...

Quote from Keling :We've talked about that before. See the posts above.

sorry, couldn't find it, can someone locate me?
This thread is closed

Nobody has asked outright....so guess I will
(467 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG