The online racing simulator
and as usual no sign of life from the dev.
I can only speak for myself but it would be absolutely understandable if LFS would have reached the definite end of its lifespan by now.
10 years without any fundamental changes in the engine are an almost unbelievable age for a piece of software.

So give us a full stop or an update....no matter what but everything is better than this slow fade out we're experiencing since years.
No no, let it be like this, otherwise my potato PC won't be able to run LFS
since the last couple of years brought no news but vapourware advertisments, the development of this community is turning into a bad direction, but sadly the devs are obviously not doing anything against it.

most of the new treads and communications are questions of "when will it be done?" "where is more content?" or "is it dead, yet?"

so it seems that the devs do not even care anymore and even negative comments are not changing that attitude one bit. they have pulled themself out of the trouble by simply refusing to say anything at all.

so it is true that negative advertising is also just advertising and as long as people come to this board ant talk about the future of lfs there will be some kind of buzz for the game that keeps it from dying completely.

it is obvious that the devs do not care about only having a few paying customers - if they wanted big success they would have changed their business modell years ago.

so what should we as a community do? beg for more content and features again and again? be satisfied with what we got and also don´t care? or shall we do another "new features" petition or another "longest waiting or a patch tread", again?

all that would not change a thing - the only move that would truly alter the state of lfs is if nobody would play it and nobody would comment here.
because if the players leave THEN the game WILL be dead!

then the devs can say to themself:
"oh, see there are no players anymore so we can finally end the development..."

or they hopefully say:
"oh, shit where are all our paying customers gone and where are all the good friends from our great evolving community of equal racing lovers all around the world? it used to be so much fun to race against all those nice people from all over the world. and even if there were bugs in our game and some things were not real enough, with the active part taking of our truly car enthusiastic racers we will develop the best driving simulator of all times!!!"

why on earth are they not even considering doing a small patch with something little in it to show us that they still care? if you followed the discussions then it should be more than obvious that we all LIKE to have great and real new physics, but it is not MORE important than having fun racing and having some intresting new content! even if this new content is not perfect! what about a lx8 challenge? if this car is so undriveable as they said, then it would be the ideal candidate for a narrow cone packed driving skill challenge, where not the one with he most heavy foot will win, but the guy with the most sensitive throttle control!

"dear devs, we fully understand and support your aim to develop the most realistic and greatest driving simulator of all times, but we would not mind if you release something that is not prefect in the meantime! that way we have something new to be happy about and gap the hole to the next big stage in the ongoing development of our most favourite racing game of all times!"

if the devs do not want to communicate or actively develop this game than we players can only vote with our feet and go play elsewhere...

peace, mo
The main problem...

It's not the massive timeline that no one expected on the release of S3. It's that, no one seems to know wtf is going on. It doesn't take a lot to look at the news updates from S1 to S2 and realize there was a constant sense of communication between devs and players. However that's no longer the case.

Months and months go by with every one slowly slowly losing interest. How hard is it, to drop in once every week or two and just let the community know what progress was made. It doesn't have to be screen shots or gameplay video.

I feel like I've said this so many times already.
swawens last post
Forget about it! LFS is dead. Come over to Steam, purchase Project CARS from Slightlymad Studios and come for 2013-type racing. The game is still under development, but You can expirence a new patch every week or so.
Dandy
Quote from Dandy Dust :Forget about it! LFS is dead. Come over to Steam, purchase Project CARS from Slightlymad Studios and come for 2013-type racing. The game is still under development, but You can expirence a new patch every week or so.
Dandy

We would if we could, but they are not taking on anymore at the moment, according to their website, unless you can show us different, but this is not what the post is about.

This is what this post is about, and so well said.......
Quote :FPVaaron It's not the massive timeline that no one expected on the release of S3. It's that, no one seems to know wtf is going on. It doesn't take a lot to look at the news updates from S1 to S2 and realize there was a constant sense of communication between devs and players. However that's no longer the case.
Months and months go by with every one slowly slowly losing interest. How hard is it, to drop in once every week or two and just let the community know what progress was made. It doesn't have to be screen shots or gameplay video.

So my next question, is where are the Testers, the Forum Mod's must know something, otherwise, why are they moderating a dead/dieing game/forum?

Somebody, somewhere must know something.......anything......
I've long been a supporter of the devs doing things the way they always have because they really do owe us nothing. LFS has already redeemed its cost 10x over for me, so anything new from the devs is a gift. That's the way I look at S3. I don't expect it or demand it or get angry and impatient for it. I just hope that, maybe one day, I'll come here and find S3 stickies to the front page waiting for me to click download. Nothing else could put such a smile on my face.

That said, I do wish we could get a "We're alive" post sometimes. Literally just a check in, something to tell us they're still here. It's like having a missing family member. You never know whether they're dead or kidnapped or drinking Piña Coladas on some Polynesian island. Every day you just wish for one sign that things are OK, that somehow they made it. That's all I want, to know things are OK.
So Scawen, Eric and Victor, are you alive and are you still prepared to keep working on lfs?

That is all people want to know, people won't be saying "OMG S3 NOW, I WANT I WANT I WANT!!! GIVE ME NEW PHYSICS, SOUNDS, TEXTURES AND A BIKE MOD" because you deserve respect for the pure enjoyment that s1 and s2 have delivered over the years.
Quote from Dandy Dust :Forget about it! LFS is dead. Come over to Steam, purchase Project CARS from Slightlymad Studios and come for 2013-type racing. The game is still under development, but You can expirence a new patch every week or so.
Dandy

Project CARS is great...

If you want physics that would belong in NFS Shift 3.

I'm sorry, but pCARS is not a simulator, and I'm a backer of the project. It's a semi-sim arcade game at best.

As for Scawen and Eric, I have no idea. Vic is alive as he does talk in IRC most days.
Well, the thing is that LFS is pretty much a 3-man project, and when Scawen started working on the new tire physics, he bit more then he could chew, tire physics are really complicated, and unless he is some kind of super genious, it's not that simple to do all by himself.

I personally would like to see some updates, even if they're not scirocco, s3 or tire physics related, at the moment I see it like this:"Okay guys, lets not relase anything before I'm done with tire physics".

The sad truth is that this community is pretty much dead, ofcourse there are stil some diehard fans, but it's not what it's used to be, yes some people have outgrown LFS, but I've just got tired with this old game(I bet I'm not the only one).

The fact is, that people would probably be happier if no Rockingham or Scirocco was announced, because those just made them believe in something that won't be.

To me, S3 just seems like a scam to keep this community alive(it barely is).
Quote from bmwe30m3 :

To me, S3 just seems like a scam to keep this community alive(it barely is).

agree
The reality is that the intention to finish LFS is still there, but the motivation isn't.

This is why we're in this strange juxta-like void between the reality of the situation and the theoretical.

Measured on the grief scale: Scawen has passed through reasoning and anger and is now in denial.

Acceptance cannot be far off.
To me LFS development has died.....

Theres nothing interesting anymore as the attitude of devs is showing the real true of state fo this game and its development...

There is a limit on the times one can play same game with no updates/patches which have been promised years ago and nothings has really changed....

It would have been another thing if devs would put a closure to the develpment but the absence of communication with community has put the majority of it in anger....

PS. the game is or actually was great and then everyone knew it was in alpha stage and would eventually evolve but it has been in the same development stage for YEARS and face it it IS NOT finished and updates were promised but nothing meaningfull has beenreleased and there has not been any official statements regarding the future of LFS so that's the reason for anger....it's that simply

And I second the 2 posts above mine...
Like they can't hire more people that has been made with lfs...
You know, I never really cared if S3 came out or not. Hell, I was happy with just S1.
But I do wonder what is going on. This game was more to me than some hyper realistic simulator of running around in circles. As it it developed with the community around it, I leaned about all sorts of crap. From basic coding and getting half a clue about game development and what goes into it to working on German cars.
Also, getting addicted to skinning REALLY helped in my career. LOL playing LFS made me money! Unlike other PC games of any sort, LFS made doing that and having it work correctly really easy.
I stumbled onto this game by accident RIGHT when this game was being released. At the time I could care less about racing simulation. To me, "simulator" was a term older nerds used to make playing video games sound more mature. I had bought a new video card and didn't have a decent game to use it with. later, I read an article in an online magazine about independent game developers. This title came up, looked neat in the picture, downloaded the demo, and presto.
So yeah, I am a bit curios as what is going on.
I am glad to see this thread going in the right direction, and not your usual "where's S3" and "gimmie gimmie gimmie"

Now that's the community spirit we used to have and glad it is still here

Cheers guys and girls

Fordie
Quote from bmwe30m3 :The fact is, that people would probably be happier if no Rockingham or Scirocco was announced, because those just made them believe in something that won't be.

Here's the annoying part. Rockingham WAS developed and made. The real Rockingham used it at the recent BTCC meeting. I know cos I went on the sim (setup in the Welcome Centre) and drove the track the BTCC used.

Its just never been released to the rest of us. Frankly I doubt it ever will be.
I have also sent an email via the lfs.net

Still checking my inbox......:sadbanana
just imagine if you got what you're asking for. the devs actually post "yeah we're alive, everything is ok." then you would all be totally satisfied! YEAHHHH RIGHT!

no it would be just one more thing and just one more thing.
Quote from CarlLefrancois :just imagine if you got what you're asking for. the devs actually post "yeah we're alive, everything is ok." then you would all be totally satisfied! YEAHHHH RIGHT!

no it would be just one more thing and just one more thing.

No your wrong, a Yeah we are cool is one thing, anything else is a bonus
Quote from Fordman :No your wrong, a Yeah we are cool is one thing, anything else is a bonus

No you're* wrong
Blah... In my opinion Im just pretty sure ( not 100% ) S3 will come. The problem is that we are all losing patient, including me, but I just keep myself quiet. ( I made a thread sometime ago and it caused to drop a soap to floor too hard that it made people go like ape.)

So yeah, what did you thought? Physics could be done in a year? Yes! In real life physics could be done FOR YOU in a year, but LFS is never real life. Just a (almost) any type of racing simulator with tons of fun and things what are nearly impossible to achieve in real life.

( If you got this point, you have understood what I mean)

And sorry for being once again like this but this is all my opinion and about what do I believe for this software.
You know... all these posts have made me want to play again. I generally play once or twice a week. I haven't hooked up the wheel, I use the mouse instead.
You know, the more I think about it. The wheel kind of sucked. Hooking it up, putting it away, and the Damned calibration!!!! I remember one race in particular where I was on the back stretch of So. city classic Making a passing attempt for first, and then the ***&&&*&!! pedals crapped out.
Wanna have fun with LFS? Use the road cars with a mouse. Good way to get rotator cuff syndrome without knowing a thing about base ball.
Yeah, I guess this post is nonsensical and off topic, but so is hoping for any sort of blip on the radar too.
This thread is closed

Nobody has asked outright....so guess I will
(467 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG