The online racing simulator
An expression of LFS thought.
(141 posts, started )
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Maybe it's all Vic's fault. He receives the patches in the mail, uses the envelopes for rolling papers and forgets about the patches. Maybe there's 100 USB keys at Vic's place with S3 on them

That could be the case...but we'll never know since we're kept in the dark about everything.
Maybe it's just me.. but I prefer being kept in the dark versus the alternative of "NEXT PATCH COMING OUT NEXT WEEK WITH NEW FEATURE" and then that gets repeated 5 or 10 times without new feature.

Our expectations are better managed this way as it's not a continual "OMG NEW FYSX" then "BOO SCAWEN" over and over in a cycle. Eventually with that cycle, there's an equal amount of people getting pissed and then proceeding to call Scawen out for being a liar.
Well usually for most games being developted they say a new patch is being worked on blah blah, when they get into testing phases of the patch they say hey we're testing it. When they find they just have a few things to button up they say hey the patch will be out in a week.

Then if the users find a bug, then the developers fix it, send out a patch within a week and everyone is happy.
At least that's how I've seen it between Kerbal Space Program and Automation.

Clearly... staying in the dark has cost the game... to be updated anymore.

Stubborn or abused either way... He's old enough to get over it. There are plenty of a-holes on the internet and that's nothing new. Only thing "new" about is they're called trolls these days.

Go take a real art class, he can get over that problem real fast lol! Especially when you watch 3 or 4 classmates in a group of 20 walk out crying after a first critique because the teacher is so hard to thicken your skin on purpose!

Not everything in this world is dandy.
Except there are updates, just not the ones most wait for. Dedicated server update to allow us to run servers easier in Linux (which is the predominant environment for servers). Patch E added protection against various hacks (or tried, as I'm under the impression people have broken it again).

We all want to see the "Star" stripper that is S3 content, but we haffto wait through the lesser known ones before we see the star.
Quote from Becky Rose :Scawen stopped giving us updates because of abuse by a few.

the funny thing here is scawen did a phil fish before phil fish did it and made it cool
and phil is the hipster
Scawen just ain't got no time for the maintainence of a fixed gear bicycle. That's why he's not a hipster.
IMHO, this is all pissing into the wind, works but..........

I've actually been waiting for Scrawen to blow a fuse over this thread, hasn't happened yet but....

Yes, LFS is HIS, not ours. No matter how much we may care about it, believe that he's got a brilliant sim that already 'feels' better than most others, how much we may want updates etc, it's still HIS ( read the EULA. )

Personally, I'm doing far more RSRBR than LFS, why ?, Community input.

No one can accuse RBR of having cutting edge graphics. Even LFS leaves it for dead, but it does have a community that cares enough to keep it alive and updated.

LFS has a similar community but 'NO MODS ALLOWED' ( well, apart from a few that don't step on peoples toes. )

I had thought that S3 was being tested, haven't seen any confirmation of this, the last I heard from Scrawen was when he banned Dawes for being Dawes. At least that proves he's still reading post's, it would be nice if LFS could be defended as much as iCharge u but......

So, here's my request. No need for timelines, release dates or anything concrete, simply a 3 word post would be great re the future of LFS, either a "yes, now shutup" or "no, now shutup" would be really appreciated.

Anyway, I'm back off to put my VW into yet another tree.

Quote from Racer X NZ :
I've actually been waiting for Scrawen to blow a fuse over this thread, hasn't happened yet but....

Yeah, i'm wondering too, why he hasn't poped in here and gave us his own Thoughts

@Scawen would be nice if could share some opinions from your side
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Except there are updates, just not the ones most wait for. Dedicated server update to allow us to run servers easier in Linux (which is the predominant environment for servers). Patch E added protection against various hacks (or tried, as I'm under the impression people have broken it again).

(TL: DR at bottom)

Well... yeah I mean might as well as old as the game is now?? Can't expect it to be all dandy after like 8 years of no updates with people on the internet from then to now.

LFS is freaking PHENOMENAL when it comes to online experience as far as lag goes; always has been, and still pretty much beats anything else out there.

That portion seriously didn't need to be updated much if any.

Spend the time and effort on things that will bring more customers, not.. make happy people... more happy?

Shall we check what the last few updates on the websites have been?
Nov 2012: We are still working on the new tyre physics and additional content
Dec 2011: Eric has been working on the S3 content.
Dec 2010: Eric has been working on some more S3 content but he would like to get nearer to finishing before we show any new pictures.
Nov 2009: It is compatible with version Z, so does not contain the new tyre physics or the VW Scirocco.
Oct 2009: does not contain the new tyre physics or the VW Scirocco. We are working to get those things to you as soon as possible
Dec 2008: We are sorry to have to announce that the VW Scirocco will not be released this week as planned
Dec 2008: We are pleased to announce that we plan to release the new VW Scirocco in Live for Speed during the week ending Friday 19th December.
Jul 2008: New interiors in XF and XR cars (road and GTR)
Should I note... the FZ interior and UF interior are STILL not done?!
Dec 2007: New car - Formula BMW FB02
Dec 2007: We are pleased to announce that there will be a new patch before Christmas
They stayed true to that one at least?
Jun 2007: The number of cars that can join a race has been increased to 32
Mar 2007: The new car sounds, created by DaveWS
Dec 2006: compatible with more computers, including those running Windows Vista.
Jun 2005: S2 released

2007 (aka the year I graduated high school) was a good year because so much was happening and we were getting updates.

Nearing in on 7 years later...
Not much else has happened.

Eric has "worked" a few times. Still no pictures of any progress on that.
Cars are still missing interiors.
No real updates have been made but the same worthless pictures of a 3d model which anyone that knows how to use a 3d program could've easily made up in 5 minutes to show off.

TL: DR
In case you're lost on this rant of mine, or TL: DR, We haven't seen a real update since 2008. Everything since there has done nothing for the community but give them a version that's a bit more stable on Linux when it doesn't matter anymore because half the community left.... when they went in to college back in 2008 like me... And are now all graduated, have jobs, likely have families, etc.

The game is dead to me; has been for a long time.

In the graphic industry we always refer to this common saying:
Wish in one hand and shit in the other; see which fills up first.

The last iota of anything we saw from Eric was 2008.
To say he's been working on "content" for the past 5 years and isn't willing to 'show' any of it until it's done is complete bull shit.
I think this needs to be reigned in before these rants become abusive because it's pointless to start speculating about what's true and what isn't. Whatever is happening accusations won't get us anywhere.
Quote from sinbad :I think this needs to be reigned in before these rants become abusive because it's pointless to start speculating about what's true and what isn't. Whatever is happening accusations won't get us anywhere.

i think we, as a community need to pull some strings and get the sim more organized, maybe if Schawen (can't spell his name to save my life) sees a spike in S2 signups and purchases, he might come out and say something.
Quote from sinbad :I think this needs to be reigned in before these rants become abusive because it's pointless to start speculating about what's true and what isn't.

A good point; however well informed we are, ultimately it's still just speculation as to what has been done that hasn't been shown.

The ranting is due to most people here wanting to help but most being powerless to do it. Even if development LFS was officially ended, at least we would know and maybe somebody would decompile the executable and start work that way, most likely just to open up user created content. There's a lot of it about but it's all driven underground, which is further detrimental to it's quality.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread though and if people can't keep their emotions in check, I will close the thread.
And I'm keeping an eye on your shirtless avatar. I'm still scared that something unexpected may happen.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :And I'm keeping an eye on your shirtless avatar. I'm still scared that something unexpected may happen.

don't turn around.
Quote from XCNuse :
TL: DR

The last iota of anything we saw from Eric was 2008.
To say he's been working on "content" for the past 5 years and isn't willing to 'show' any of it until it's done is complete bull shit.

It's sad how much THIS

LFS could've been an amazing thing.
Quote from sinbad :I think this needs to be reigned in before these rants become abusive because it's pointless to start speculating about what's true and what isn't. Whatever is happening accusations won't get us anywhere.

Hear Hear

Quote from Bob The Mod :I'm keeping an eye on this thread though and if people can't keep their emotions in check, I will close the thread.

Nooooo

But I agree, would be nice to hear from a Dev, the Devs, any Dev and please ladies and gentlemen, no back lash if they do, no requests, just read...if they do that is

Fordie
Lets buy the dam rights to the game and do it our self
Quote from shimon-ifraimov :Lets buy the dam rights to the game and do it our self

They wouldn't sell it in its hay day when some massive software company came in for the physics code......so what's to say they will sell it to a bunch of gamers....Never
Quote from shimon-ifraimov :Lets buy the dam rights to the game and do it our self

That implies that the developers want to sell the rights.. Never mind I doubt there's a single person in the community (never mind a group) that has enough experience with not just C++, but detailed knowledge about tyre physics (and what is CORRECT with them, not just what they like) along with suspension dynamics, etcera.

It'd be 10 more years and we'd still have nothing complete, never mind we'd have paid a bunch of money to still have nothing.

I think the current way of letting Scawen finish it on his schedule seems to be a much more cost effective way to get our desired goal. Having the best simulation with more content.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :That implies that the developers want to sell the rights.. Never mind I doubt there's a single person in the community (never mind a group) that has enough experience with not just C++, but detailed knowledge about tyre physics (and what is CORRECT with them, not just what they like) along with suspension dynamics, etcera.

It'd be 10 more years and we'd still have nothing complete, never mind we'd have paid a bunch of money to still have nothing.

I think the current way of letting Scawen finish it on his schedule seems to be a much more cost effective way to get our desired goal. Having the best simulation with more content.

well ya i guess your right
Quote from Racer X NZ :I've actually been waiting for Scrawen to blow a fuse over this thread, hasn't happened yet but....

Considering how many mods have posted in this thread, Scawen could come and say something from a pure respect for years of their charity work as forum moderators.

Agreed, and certainly don't take my posts the wrong way, I do not mean to be aggressive or forward in any sense, only to point out the evidence others seem to wisp off as though "well... we could wait just a little bit longer." As the "bit longer" is well beyond due hahaha

For those with language barriers; don't take my posts the wrong way or negatively as that is not my intention.

The point I want to cross as others have said is...

LFS was dreamed to be big, and fair enough too, and still has all of the potential, but lack of communication and "help" (in any form) has devoured the great expanse this game could [have] be[en].
Quote from XCNuse :... and still has all of the potential, but lack of communication and "help" (in any form) has devoured the great expanse this game could [have] be[en].

True

Scawen wrote that it is much more mathematically as he thought. And to fill the lack of communication scawen could come back to the roots and ask the community for help or where he is stranded from time to time.

I am very sure that we had plenty of people which would and can help with some Problems. From Time to Time its more effectively to see things from a different angle.

So Scawen gets help and doing the programming all on his own but with more possible answers to his problems then he ever get on his own.

An expression of LFS thought.
(141 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG