The online racing simulator
Sound of F1 2014
(41 posts, started )
Quote from deggis :Not sure though if this clip gives the best possible image: quite short, on what gears is it in anyway and long fadeout in the end.

To me anything above the current IndyCar engine (a bit lower revs and more displacement vs. F1 '14) is a plus, but I guess my expectations were/are more realistic :rolleyes:

It was always going to resemble the 80's V6 engines with higher revs, so I'm not too disappointed or shocked. I'm sick of the V8 mosquitoes anyway.

Everyone remember, two years ago this could've been the sound of a L4 engine...
It should sound like a more revy version of the turbo era V6, you got to keep in mind those cars where only pulling 600-700hp in race trim and had around 10-12k Rpm.
Quote from Mustafur :It should sound like a more revy version of the turbo era V6, you got to keep in mind those cars where only pulling 600-700hp in race trim and had around 10-12k Rpm.

In the technical regs the max rpm is 15k, but in reality they won't rev that high. This is why:

Renault's 2014 F1 engine will peak at around 10,500rpm, with gear changes occurring at 12,000rpm.

http://www.motoring.com.au/new ... -benefit-road-users-35587

Let’s start with the most intriguing aspect, which is of course the fuel flow rate limitation. The upper limit is set at 100 kg/h, and below 10,500 RPM the fuel mass flow must not exceed the amount of Q (kg/h) = (0.009 x RPM) + 5. This means, that the fuel flow tops up @ 10,500 RPM and has the linear graph shown below. Of course, the curve below represents the maximum allowed fuel flow in all circumstances and does not represent the actual flow graph, which will be considerably different.

http://abulafiaf1.wordpress.co ... ines-some-considerations/

So what we should hear is basically the same except a fart sound everytime they change gear.
VIOLENT fart, yes.

I can record the farts that comes from my 1.4 TFSI Scirocco, then we can compare.

EDIT: also, it's probably not as bad as blown diffuser
blown diffuser was badass ok?
It was bad ass, but Anti-Lag systems etc. is going to sound dope as well, I think we're underestimating the whole thing a bit here.
It sounds awesome, not sure what the complaints are about, in the late 80's early 90's people keep saying how awesome those 1.5l V6's sounded..

Hypocrisy really...
Hopefully they will not run dump valves so they can cha-cha-cha.

Altho I doubt that, even modern wrc cars seem to use dump valves.

just hope they will dump to atmosphere after that turbine contraption

(that thing is bigger than my head)
They should run dump to atmosphere. On road cars it's stupid, but on race cars it's important.
Wonder if you could run a kers system from the turbine.

Just thinking out loud of course.
they do, at least on that Renault engine. Its on the first pic in my post above. They do this for years already on truck engines.

Mercedes may go another route, my professor in combustion engine technology told us about thermoelectric elements that can generate electricity simply from heat that are being developed atm
Quote from ACCAkut :they do, at least on that Renault engine. Its on the first pic in my post above. They do this for years already on truck engines.

Mercedes may go another route, my professor in combustion engine technology told us about thermoelectric elements that can generate electricity simply from heat that are being developed atm

I thought that's what it was, but you know normally my thoughts don't follow any logic so I didn't know if that was the case.
Quote from el pibe :blown diffuser was badass ok?

Blown diffuser was aural puke, like traction control noise in reverse.
Quote from deggis :Blown diffuser was aural puke, like traction control noise in reverse.

But it was still the most awesome aural puke ever!

Sound of F1 2014
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG