The online racing simulator
Feedback/opinions on my car design
(10 posts, started )
Hello, i just wanted to ask a wide group of car people what they thought of my car design. I hope to one day build this as a kit car type vehicle.
I Would love some feedback about the look of the car and any thoughts you have about it.

#2 - amp88
Are you a fan of Ginetta by any chance?
You've already gone farther with the design than I ever could. Don't know what to tell you except that the front fender flare could be flatter, less bulbous, more DB9-like while you're 'inspired' anyway
#5 - JJ72
If your goal is to make it look like a kit car, well you suceeded lol.

I think the front will look a lot better if the headlights are further back and slighly more inwards and narrower, the front bumper will also be better if there's less bulging, i would question if it needs that front lip too.
It looks so... Generic and dull.

Too much like an Elise/Ginetta love child that's been over fed.

When making a kitcar, do the mechanicals and let those define the body (up to a point). Allow form to follow function. And don't copy dull looking production cars or randomly mimic aerodynamic appendages.
#7 - JJ72
^ great comments.

I think if you steer away from the CAD > FRP routine and form your body over the actual skeleton of the car, the result can be a lot more surprising.
Quite alot of chassis work is done on the base of the car, engine location and suspension.
At this stage the design is only 2 months old and is still flexible. I do intend to run the body through a CFD program when I have access to one.
Thank you for your feedback
#9 - Omar1
needs moar lows
Quote from tristancliffe :It looks so... Generic and dull.

Totally agree, just like most kit cars.
If you want to do it properly, get the package of the car in a 3D software. The first thing you should think is the concept, that will give you a direction and will make your car different from the others. Then start working proportions of the car, which is the key of every design and forget about details. At the same time, think about what kind of surface treatment you want for your car. Once you have this, 50% of the job is done, you can then start to think about details (headlights shape and stuff like that).
Is very important to not go with the first idea that you sketch, try as many different options as you can and always ask for people (who understand about automotive design if possible) about their opinion.
I don't know what resources you have to build this car, but don't think is an easy job. People usually think that designers job is just to sketch some cool images and the job is done, but it couldn't be more different than that.
One thing you should know: There are not beautiful or ugly cars, that's subjetive and no one cares if you like a car or not, but there are good and bad designs, which is not subjetive. I can like a car that I don't consider good looking as long as it's been designed properly. I might sound difficult to understand, but believe me, it is like that.

Source: I am car designer at Lamborghini

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG