The online racing simulator
LFS Virtual Reality support
(64 posts, started )
I dot have $300 for something that could be like my other purchases like a flight stick which have sat untouched.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I dot have $300 for something that could be like my other purchases like a flight stick which have sat untouched.

Sorry, Im from Europe, thats the same as a bag of tomatos over here
$300 goes a long way for me. $150 is about the bar of my frivolous purchases
Quote from dawesdust_12 :$300 goes a long way for me. $150 is about the bar of my frivolous purchases

I know, Its just.. This has been a dream of mine since, well.. lawnmower man.. and now its mine, but I cant wait two whole months..

Ill shut up now
I know the feeling. I only got to realize my dream of having a wheel mounted display for my G25 last week. That's been ongoing for 5 years.
I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but 9 DoF is marketing talk. In the videos that I've watched they can only do rotational movements, so really it's 3 DoF. If they manage to add positional changes as well, then it's 6 DoF, which would be nice because then you can actually peer at something, or look around an object. 9 DoF is only found in alternate universes.

They do simulate positional movement of the head when tilting, but that is simply achieved by putting the anchor point of the camera at the neck. So everything rotates around your neck (and not your eyeballs, the location of the camera), and as such you get the sense that when you touch your chest with your chin that your head moves forward somewhat. But it's not actual XYZ positional changes.
Maybe if they use OLEDs, better sound and better looks like the competition then it's getting somewhere. Now it's just a gimmick which indeed will end up on some shelf.
Quote from cargame.nl :Maybe if they use OLEDs, better sound and better looks like the competition then it's getting somewhere. Now it's just a gimmick which indeed will end up on some shelf.

You are missing the point if you think Sony and Silicon is the competition. Using the HMZ or the ST1080 is like looking through a toilet paper roll and has nothing to do with the Oculus Rift. They dont even have head tracking.

What I want is virtual reality, not a screen for watching movies.

From the artical your linking to:

"What is much more of a problem with other HMD devices is the low FOV the offer the user, so instead of getting an immerse experience you get a feeling like you are in a dark tunnel and the image is like the light at the end of the tunnel. Oculus Rift promises more than double the field of view as compared to what Sony and Silicon MicroDisplay currently have in their products, so the immersion factor should be much better and that is more important than to have an insane amount of pixels on the display."
I did watch only Carmacks video, and as far as I understand it, it *will* need changes in the game code.

The culprit is, that the game must render the picture with fish-eye effect, so it gets straightened up by the lenses.

Of course this can be done as post-process from regular output of unmodified game, but that will bring additional latency and eat up some additional GPU power, so the native solution (the game itself already rendering deformed images) would be always superior to any postprocess hacks.

So basically for best results you have to give one SDK to Scawen and give him some additional dev time from some other dimension of parallel space, so he can work on this...
Quote from cargame.nl :Maybe if they use OLEDs, better sound and better looks like the competition then it's getting somewhere. Now it's just a gimmick which indeed will end up on some shelf.

Better sound? it doesn't even have speakers. They decided to do this so pc gamers can still use their own quality headphones.. you clearly don't know what you're talking about. The other two devices you mentioned doesn't even have any head tracking and only offer a big 45 FOV compared to 110 for the Rift while being twice as expensive. Racing simulator and Flight simulators that wants to give an ultimate experience should keep a serious eye on that device as the future is not meant to be played on a monitor. Valve knows that for sure as they develop on VR and AR since quite a while. We need a better field of view to get immersed in a game (or simulation) and the Rift look so far to be the first serious alternative since a while. The device is only 3 DoF at the moment but the commercial version will be 6 DoF if we believe what they said at the CES2013.
In a few years the next OR generations should indeed feature OLED but this early would be a suicide plan as the device would be way too expensive to go mainstream.

On a positive note Assetto Corsa might support it once it goes commercial as their team said they ordered an SDK. I sure hope they will increase the resolution as 1280 isn't much once stretched to 110 degrees.
Quote from Skytrill :Better sound? it doesn't even have speakers. They decided to do this so pc gamers can still use their own quality headphones.. you clearly don't know what you're talking about. The other two devices you mentioned doesn't even have any head tracking and only offer a big 45 FOV compared to 110 for the Rift while being twice as expensive. Racing simulator and Flight simulators that wants to give an ultimate experience should keep a serious eye on that device as the future is not meant to be played on a monitor. Valve knows that for sure as they develop on VR and AR since quite a while. We need a better field of view to get immersed in a game (or simulation) and the Rift look so far to be the first serious alternative since a while. The device is only 3 DoF at the moment but the commercial version will be 6 DoF if we believe what they said at the CES2013.
In a few years the next OR generations should indeed feature OLED but this early would be a suicide plan as the device would be way too expensive to go mainstream.

On a positive note Assetto Corsa might support it once it goes commercial as their team said they ordered an SDK. I sure hope they will increase the resolution as 1280 isn't much once stretched to 110 degrees.

According to those who have tried it the low resolution is not a big issue. The optic concentrates more pixels in the center of the eye and less on the borders where a clean image is not required.
Quote from Maelstrom :According to those who have tried it the low resolution is not a big issue. The optic concentrates more pixels in the center of the eye and less on the borders where a clean image is not required.

Its more than that. With full stereoscopic 3D, your brain starts to fill in the blanks.. refresh rate on the screen and the gyro is way more important.
I think it's brilliant. No, I won't be buying one, but only because I don't have $300 lying around waiting to be spent. I genuinely hope lots of racing titles use it.

TrackIRs are awful, because the sensitivity is all wrong, and you still have to look at a static screen even though your head it pointing somewhere else. Other VR helmets are just expensive paperweights.

The Rift (and others like it) will become normal within a few years I reckon, and not necessarily just for gamers.

It does need some way of showing reality through the lenses - maybe a small camera on the front, and when you press a button it shows the camera footage rather than PC footage. That way you can find your mouse or gear stick or whatever without having to take it off. Perhaps even have a 95% opacity option, so the 'screen' appears slightly see through, and you can see the "real world" 'through' the game image (optional of course).

But yes. I want one. And I hope support can be coded fairly easily.
This headset, coupled with something along the lines of kinect/camera motion technology would be THE ultimate experience as your OWN hand movements would be there in the game.
Quote from BlueFlame :This headset, coupled with something along the lines of kinect/camera motion technology would be THE ultimate experience as your OWN hand movements would be there in the game.

The kinect is way too laggy. You will only break the immersion if you hook that up with the rift.

This might be the thing tho': LEAP
The Augmented Reality glasses will give an opacity element but will not target gamers specifically so it won't be optimized for gaming until many years from now. Driving and flight sims have this in common: we sit in a cockpit while having the freedom to move our head around, so a VR suits perfectly that aspect to me as long as it gives 6DoF while in a first person shooter I have a hard time seeing myself turning my head 90 degrees left or right to aim at someone. How I see it the best way to play a FPS with this is still like ARMA does, with an L-ALT key that suddenly toggle free head movement. Just my thoughts.

I found these two interesting links about the AR & VR:

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com ... able-computing-part-1-vr/

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com ... able-computing-part-2-ar/
I use my G25 shifter as a handbrake Paddle shifting FTW.
.. and open window to feel speed and put burning tire next to chair to play in 4D ... its cheaper
wat
Would absolutely and will buy the oculus rift if enough games support it. RPG's like Skyrim with would be great and so would driving games. I have a triplescreen setup but I still wan't a more immersive experience. The Rift seem to be focusing on all the right things. The final commercial product is promised to be even better (perhaps a little more resolution?) so it would be a win for the consumer.
I don't really understand how the Rift will work... When I play games there are times when I need to look at the real environment around me - find the F5 key for instance, or press one of the buttons on my G25 shifter. How would one do that wearing a Rift?

With the video of the guy using a 'gun' to play HL2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H2rL-lBxRs) how does he know where his room walls are, or the cat, or his desk? I'm guessing he can't see them, or can you see out of the Rift like a poorly fitting blindfold?

Or maybe I'm missing something and it's a dumb conundrum?
You'll eventually hit a wall or obstacle in your room, as I see it.

How do you walk in games btw without actually moving?
Quote from tristancliffe :I don't really understand how the Rift will work... When I play games there are times when I need to look at the real environment around me - find the F5 key for instance, or press one of the buttons on my G25 shifter. How would one do that wearing a Rift?

With the video of the guy using a 'gun' to play HL2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H2rL-lBxRs) how does he know where his room walls are, or the cat, or his desk? I'm guessing he can't see them, or can you see out of the Rift like a poorly fitting blindfold?

Or maybe I'm missing something and it's a dumb conundrum?

They said that at some point they will add proximity sensor to the rift so you don't bump your head against something.
Anyway, due to the cables' lenght limit I will use it sitted exclusively.

LFS Virtual Reality support
(64 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG