The online racing simulator
#1 - MR_B
Help: I have a habit of chewing rubber and plastic!
Ok this will sounds freaky, random and warped, but it's becoming a real problem and it's bugging me.

Basically, I like to chew. Chewing's fun. I don't like chewing gum, or anything like that. I don't smoke either.

I love to chew things like little things made of rubber, or things made out of smooth shiney plastic. Like mcdonalds toys, or the free toys you get in frosties boxes. I'll just sit here happy chewing on something, not eating it. And nothing dodgy/suspicious/fetish like either! that would be wrong.

I've googled this and I'm just finding crap on chewing ice, and it's linked with people who are pregnant, have a lack of iron, or whom are anemic.

But that is ice, and this is plastic and that soft chewy rubber. Like right this instant I'm chewing the rubber edging that goes on the speaker part of ear plugs..... Eww they've been in my ear! I just thought of that... But i'm still chewing it.

What the hells wrong with me? No Stupid Replies Either! I just want to know !
does your jaw or teeth ever hurt like.. at night or whenever your not chewing?
#3 - MR_B
Quote from XCNuse :does your jaw or teeth ever hurt like.. at night or whenever your not chewing?

Nope, not at all. Ok now i've started on a novelty pair of glasses LOL.

I do love those gelatine sweets that are shaped like bottles, hearts, teeth and lips... But I have no desire to eat the pieces, unlike the ice addicts...
obviously its one of those easily susceptable addictions (like popping your knuckles or back)

try.. not doing it for 1 week, (gotta try hard though, and never get bored) because usually addictions like popping knuckles come when your bored and .. well thats why i do it sometimes, but i deffinetly dont do it that much anymore compared to when i did it like 5 years ago

really its just a thing you have to get away from a while, and you wont be addicted to it that much (possibly, im not doctor lol, but popping my knuckles for some time has slowed down how much i do it incredibly)

also.. might want to check out your teeth, im sure your doing some damage to them with those hard plastics :S
its pretty much like other habits such as nail biting. what started out as something used to alleviate stress or occupy your mind has now been going on so long your do it uncosciasly (sp).
its obviously nowehere as dangerous to your health as a chain smoker or alcoholic and the worst youll probably get is a chipped tooth, but if you want to address the situation you will need to use a method that will make you aware that you are actually doing it. maybe use the same stuff that nail biters do which tastes absolutely rank. put it on a few of your favourite chew bits and no doubt youll forget about it, until of course you start chewing.
This is some quote I found on the web (for a gum chewer, but this can apply to anyone that has an oral fixation):

Quote :Your habit is likely, purley psycological allthough there may be a substance in the gum that your body craves. Is it possible that you do it for stress reduction as well. Or that not chewing causes stress. I used to be a very nervous person and would chew gum, bite my fingernails and smoke all at the same time. Pathetic I know. You can reduce stress or anxiety, by getting regular exercise and eating a healthy diet, and doing things that relax you. Celery would be an excellant substitue, because it's crunchy, chewy and low in calories, so you can chew, chew, chew all you want. Also, don't keep gum around. If you don't buy it, or have a pack tucked everywhere, your less likely to pop a peice in your mouth. Just a few thoughts, I hope this helps a little.Krystal

It can be mostly psychological where you may be stressed, nervous, or even it helps you "think". Also a physical oral fixation could be the cause, where you have a tendancy to comfort your jaw, teeth, or whatever... heck even the taste of strange rubbery objects.

But still, it is a habit that should be easy to overcome. If visit the dentist often for regular checkups, it would be best to ask them for advice. They of course would say it is bad that you do that (because you can also develop some bad jaw disorders), but it is bad for your teeth in a way.
oh yea.. forgot about that, xxxrated is right; they have this stuff for dogs or nail biters that you put on whatever the dog is chewing or your nails, so it tastes aaaaabsolutely horrid so you dont do it, and after a while you just completely stop
i tried it once just for the fun of it, really does taste like absolute crap and it lingers for a good while. id rather suck a fart from a fat birds ass tbh
i always chew on straws, and on coke cans, the thing you use to open it, i always chew on that after i finish the coke..rather a habit, but i like it
@Vendetta: I find I always get a grayish residue on my finger after popping open a can. It rubs off easily enough but it's not something I'd want to ingest.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#11 - MR_B
LOL If it tastes as bad a fart from a fat girls ass I may try it. (not the fart... the other stuff)

@Vendetta: Yeah I like to chew the hell out of straws too. And those ice poles, ice lolly things you get. I end up chewing at the plastic on that aswell!
if all that chewing helps you, then heck, continue...
but i might suggest you consult someone with more chemist knowlegde to help you find some material that does NOT loose anything bad (ingredients) for you...

otherwise, keep it on.
I used to bite my nails, but when I got braces it got difficult to bite them, so I stopped doing it after a while. I also crack my fingers sometimes, but like Xcnuse, I used to do it a lot more than I do now.

There are far worse things that you do, just out of boredom, but I guess you should find something of what it's certain you won't get bad ingredients inside of you. I don't mean it as a joke, but maybe buy one of those baby toys, they can't harm you, and you got them in rubber and plastic, so you have a healthy form of either what you want at a certain time. You might want to consult a psychiatrist or therapist, cause I don't think it's very healthy for your teeth and jaw. Your jawmuscles will become too big, and you do know, the human evolved to a smarter human by stop eating cold meat, wich stopped the growth of their jawmuscles, making more room for brains...
#14 - Vain
Plastic isn't hazardeous at all. It'll leave your body in the same form it entered it . People all over the world chew the plastic parts of ballpens.
But the gray stuff under the Cola-can-openers is propably a lubricant that is used to reduce the strain on the machines that produce this part, so in bigger amount it'd be unhealthy. But in these small amounts it isn't hazardeous at all. We can rest assured that if it was otherwise the american law system would have come up with a several hundret million dollars penalty for emotional distress or something equally silly.
What I want to say: There are far more unhealthy things you can do to reduce stress. But if you want to get away from it (f.e. because it looks silly when you begin nibbling on everything within hand-reach, even in public) then I'd suggest to come up with two things. Firstly an alternate thing to reduce stress (this is reducing stress, f.e. a small relaxed pause on the sofa can do well) and secondly alternate strategies to deal with stress (this is overcoming the need to reduce stress, f.e. concentration techniques, also known as willpower).

Oh, and if you like to chew plastic or rubbery things, how does your steering wheel look like?

Vain
Quote from xxxrated :its pretty much like other habits such as nail biting. what started out as something used to alleviate stress or occupy your mind has now been going on so long your do it uncosciasly (sp).
its obviously nowehere as dangerous to your health as a chain smoker or alcoholic and the worst youll probably get is a chipped tooth, but if you want to address the situation you will need to use a method that will make you aware that you are actually doing it. maybe use the same stuff that nail biters do which tastes absolutely rank. put it on a few of your favourite chew bits and no doubt youll forget about it, until of course you start chewing.

about that nail biting, i do it alot, but my nails allways look like ...... then
is there anything i can do about it? not biting on em doesnt work, i sometimes bite my nails without knowing it... its really not a good habit
i really want to stop it, so does any1 know what i can do about it?
i dunno what to do, like "cracking" my knuckles olso do that alot and dont want it!
i dont really understand your "tip" u wrote above...

thanks alot!
Quote from Vain :...

Oh, and if you like to chew plastic or rubbery things, how does your steering wheel look like?

Vain

What steering wheel?

(sorry...)
#17 - MR_B
Quote from sgt.flippy :I don't mean it as a joke, but maybe buy one of those baby toys, they can't harm you, and you got them in rubber and plastic, so you have a healthy form of either what you want at a certain time. You might want to consult a psychiatrist or therapist, cause I don't think it's very healthy for your teeth and jaw. Your jawmuscles will become too big, and you do know, the human evolved to a smarter human by stop eating cold meat, wich stopped the growth of their jawmuscles, making more room for brains...

LOL Okay i'll go buy a bottle, or a dummy. Atleast then I could drink alcohol AND chew!

And I don't really have much of a jaw, so any muscles to fill it out would be a plus, right?

I'm amazed that so many people have some form of advice, I thought if I posted it in here i'll probably get a few laughs like "you're a nutcase" and "buy a straight jacket" (where do you get those things anyway?)

Thanks guys, I'm trying just to stop, but sitting here I'm looking around and there's strawberry laces, the pair of funky glasses i was at yesterday... But the urge isn't there yet.....although i've only been up an hour or so...
Try to keep one hand on your mouse, so you can't grab anything with that, keep moving your mouse around. Or go racing, without putting anything in your mouth first, so when you're racing you don't have time to grab anything.

It can help people concentrate though, every time my ex got here with her car, she was chewing gum because it would help her focus on driving.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG