The online racing simulator
Full customization car and new settings
I have suggestion add in game full customization car and some other functions. What i mean?
- Add setting for change width wheel base, width every wheel, radius front and back wheels, thickness tyres
- add function in boxes for side forces tests, not only jump button
- add function for calculation test transmision and engine acceleration with different settings
- delete rev limiter
- add blown engine
- make AI can drifting and more fast dragging
- create discipline Drift
- add for AI human factor (on some moments AI is very fast, but in other very slow without tricks)
- add camera side tilt with more angle and smooth bias

Thank you and sorry for my bad english
only thing I agree is to have maximum speed shown in pits which you can achieve at maximum rpm for each gear (dinamiclly changing as you change transmission ratio)
Adjustable rim and tyre dimensions (within a certain extent) is something I'd like to see. Maybe a server option that can allow/disallow it. A server option that would allow players to put slicks or semi slicks on any car would be nice along with that.

Adjustable wheelbase (spacers) have been in the game before from what I understand, but it was taken out. I'd like to see that make it back though.

Side force testing is a good idea, question is how much of a purpose it'd serve.

Transmission testing is a good idea, I'd like to see that.

Engine temperature is probably already on the to-do list for the devs. The gauge is there. That will probably include an overheat feature. (speaking of blown engines)

This AI human factor is something that I think would greatly improve the single player racing. A slight variation in how they approach corners and so on.

And you'll probably never see the AI drift unless you pit maneuver them :P

Quote from [Audi TT] :You replaying at the NFS Carbon?

Many of these suggestions aren't even related to NFS Carbon at all... Maybe you should read all the listed items before you start making stupid posts.
Quote from cheteron :I have suggestion add in game full customization car and some other functions. What i mean?
- Add setting for change width wheel base, width every wheel, radius front and back wheels, thickness tyres

What for? If you could change the size and it would affect handling everybody would just use the best combination.
Quote :
- add function in boxes for side forces tests, not only jump button
- add function for calculation test transmision and engine acceleration with different settings
- delete rev limiter
- add blown engine

All good in my opinion except you should add blown engine before removing rev limiter. You can use the VHPA for your transmission adjusting needs. I've used it in the past. Not resently so am not sure if it still works on new windowses (what the hell is the plural of windows?)
Quote :
- make AI can drifting and more fast dragging
- create discipline Drift
- add for AI human factor (on some moments AI is very fast, but in other very slow without tricks)

This is a Online Racing Simulator. No need for fancy AI. The AI can drift. Just give them a ridiculously tail happy set.
Quote :- add camera side tilt with more angle and smooth bias

I'm going to assume you mean pan. Like turning your head to look left or right? You can already turn your head 90 degrees in LFS. How much more do you need? Turn on smooth head turning. It's in the menu somewhere. Don't have the energy to reboot my comp just to find it.

Quote from pärtan :Adjustable rim and tyre dimensions (within a certain extent) is something I'd like to see. Maybe a server option that can allow/disallow it. A server option that would allow players to put slicks or semi slicks on any car would be nice along with that.

Tyre dimensions see above or the other thread.
You can put slicks on any car with the slickmod. You can even race online if you have a mod server.

Quote :Adjustable wheelbase (spacers) have been in the game before from what I understand, but it was taken out. I'd like to see that make it back though.

Actually it was the track width that could be adjusted not the wheelbase. It was removed because everyone was using the max setting so there was no point in the adjustment. Exactly what would happen if the tyres were adjustable. Can you give me any reason to put skinnier tyres on a race car?
Quote from March Hare :Can you give me any reason to put skinnier tyres on a race car?

Give me a reason to put intake restriction on a race car. It only makes it slower, right? Or how about adding passengers. Tell me how that helps a race car going faster.

Quote from March Hare :You can put slicks on any car with the slickmod. You can even race online if you have a mod server.

I was thinking more of a way to do it without memory hacking the game.
Quote from pärtan :Give me a reason to put intake restriction on a race car. It only makes it slower, right? Or how about adding passengers. Tell me how that helps a race car going faster.

Dude, you just fried him up xD
Quote from pärtan :Give me a reason to put intake restriction on a race car. It only makes it slower, right? Or how about adding passengers. Tell me how that helps a race car going faster.

The intake restriction option was added to help balance the performance of cars, particularly in the GTR class. Intake restrictors are actually used in various racing series to limit engine power so it makes perfect sense to have this in LFS. The passengers are sort of silly, but it's been like that since S1.

Finally! Took your bloody time to come up with a reason. Why didn't you start with this?
The intake restriction is used to bring parity into a class of cars. Or make a whole new class. I personally am not very thrilled about the whole thing but it is necessary to be able to race with not just single car fields. It's used in real life too. Adjustable tyres could be made to do the same. Assigning different cars within a class with different size wheels and tyres isn't something done in real life. You already have two choises of tyres for most of the road cars. How many servers or leagues race with road normal tyres on cars that can use road supers?

Ballast definitely doesn't make a car go faster. Funny how you didn't spot that one. Maybe because success ballast is used in many forms of racing in real life?

I can't think of any reason why LFS has those passengers. Although I have to admit I've never laughed so hard while playing LFS when I put full intake restriction added all the ballast and put all passengers in the UF1. Really ridiculous drive around Blackwood.

Quote :I was thinking more of a way to do it without memory hacking the game.

Whether it's done with a mod or is coded in the game the end result is the same.
I definitely want slicks on the TBO and LRF cars. They are so much fun with slicks. At the other end an FXR with offroad tyres is much closer to a real rallycross car than any of the road cars in LFS.

When changing LFS You have to take into account the multiplayer aspect. LFS has always aimed towards easy pickup racing. You just join a server download a few skins and race. If there would be servers with different tyre setting you would have to have a setup for all different tyre sizes along with all the different tracks. The LFS setup filing system isn't up to scratch to handle such multitude of setups.
Quote from March Hare :Finally! Took your bloody time to come up with a reason. Why didn't you start with this?

What are you talking about?

Quote from March Hare :
The intake restriction is used to bring parity into a class of cars. Or make a whole new class. I personally am not very thrilled about the whole thing but it is necessary to be able to race with not just single car fields. It's used in real life too.

I know it serves a purpose. I just brought it up to prove a point to you.

Quote from March Hare :Adjustable tyres could be made to do the same. Assigning different cars within a class with different size wheels and tyres isn't something done in real life. You already have two choises of tyres for most of the road cars. How many servers or leagues race with road normal tyres on cars that can use road supers?

The more stuff you can tweak, the more powerful the setup system will be. It's just my opinion that while you're so efficiently changing between all those tyres. Maybe you could consider changing the width of them as well. It could be used to change up a whole class for more variety. Or it could be used in ways similar to camber. Someone deliberately making their front tyres thinner for a different handling result. I don't know exactly how it would be implemented into racing leagues and so on but I do think it would add to LFS.

Quote from March Hare :Ballast definitely doesn't make a car go faster. Funny how you didn't spot that one. Maybe because success ballast is used in many forms of racing in real life?

I did spot it, but it serves the purpose of changing the weight distribution. It's not strictly for slowing the car down. (passengers also do this though)

Quote from March Hare :
Whether it's done with a mod or is coded in the game the end result is the same.

Yes, but regardless of that, it still isn't an official feature of the game. Which is why I posted it on the suggestion forums.

Quote from March Hare :
At the other end an FXR with offroad tyres is much closer to a real rallycross car than any of the road cars in LFS.

I like XFR with rallycross tyres better. But I get your point and I agree.

Quote from March Hare :
When changing LFS You have to take into account the multiplayer aspect. LFS has always aimed towards easy pickup racing. You just join a server download a few skins and race. If there would be servers with different tyre setting you would have to have a setup for all different tyre sizes along with all the different tracks. The LFS setup filing system isn't up to scratch to handle such multitude of setups.

It would all be easier if the server could manipulate peoples setups, or rather override them on desired aspects. That would help with many things. It would give the server better control over races and it would help users to get the correct settings for the races.
i'd love to have wheel track, can help and look nice most of times!
Quote from Omar1 :i'd love to have wheel track, can help and look nice most of times!

yeah with limits that would be great
Quote from March Hare :What for? If you could change the size and it would affect handling everybody would just use the best combination.
All good in my opinion except you should add blown engine before removing rev limiter. You can use the VHPA for your transmission adjusting needs. I've used it in the past. Not resently so am not sure if it still works on new windowses (what the hell is the plural of windows?)
This is a Online Racing Simulator. No need for fancy AI. The AI can drift. Just give them a ridiculously tail happy set.
I'm going to assume you mean pan. Like turning your head to look left or right? You can already turn your head 90 degrees in LFS. How much more do you need? Turn on smooth head turning. It's in the menu somewhere. Don't have the energy to reboot my comp just to find it.

Tyre dimensions see above or the other thread.
You can put slicks on any car with the slickmod. You can even race online if you have a mod server.

Actually it was the track width that could be adjusted not the wheelbase. It was removed because everyone was using the max setting so there was no point in the adjustment. Exactly what would happen if the tyres were adjustable. Can you give me any reason to put skinnier tyres on a race car?

setting for wheels need to take more steering

i use vhpa, but this program not work correctly, and its not comfortable

if u like racing only online, its your problem, but this game have offline mode, so its need to envolve

no not paning, u didn't understand, side tilt, i don't know how it say another
Tire width, and spacers etc is a good idea, both for racing and cruising (I have a stanced show car and a race car) My MINI Cooper S can out handle some high dollar cars because of how wide the tires are and the nasty stock camber. However my buddy with even wider wheels can apply more side load because he has more rubber to the surface than me in a corner. But when drag racing you want as little surface touching on non traction wheels as possible.

The spacers would be nice because some cars when you add camber the wheels hide away in the wheel well.
I believe the idea of "spacers" were addressed before. I think a long time ago, the option was there to increase the track, but the option was removed because there's really no advantage of decreasing it (ie. there is no trade-off and everyone would set it to max track). Same thing for wide tires. There is no trade-off for using small tires, so everyone would set it to max possible. No need for such a setting i think.

IMO, the current options are good. You can customize settings to your driving style but not so much that someone would have a big advantage (someone with a bigger engine or better tires).

If you want slicks, slickmods are available and if you want to use it online, there are MODIFIED servers. Don't expect it to be used in every server. I don't want the option for you to officially install slicks onto an XFG - just unrealistic...

The VHPA is a good program. I don't think it's been updated in a while now, but it should still work.

LFS is designed for fair and realistic online racing. If you want to do something different offline, that's up to you (no one will know). But don't expect the game to be tailored for you offline needs. Not everyone wants it, especially if it makes racing less fair and competitive.
In term of setup, I'd rather go the other way around and have as less setup options as possible on road-going and low-end racing cars.

Almost every time someone posts about adding new setup options on road-going cars, some experienced players will come and point out they're "unrealistic", and therefore should not be allowed. I understand this, however they seem to ignore the very fact that we're playing with ridiculous setups right now. Think about it, if you're happy with 7001 different gear ratios, spring choices that go in 0.1kN/mm steps, fully adjustable 2-way LSDs on not-so-fast sportish commuters, and toe/camber adjustment on crappy 40-years-old-looking cars running on live axles, why on earth is track adjustment, higher steering lock or whatsoever a big deal? We're driving ridiculous cars anyway. Having slicks on normal road-going cars is much easier than what get listed above IRL, so I'd say from a realism-is-all-we-want perspective, if those setups are bearable, slicks on any car must be reasonable.

On well-built racing cars, setup options like wheel offset are quite easy, and therefore realistic in sims. Useful or not is another problem.
Also, it's worth it to mention that in rallysport, generally there is more than just the driver in the car. Usually there's a co-pilot or navigator, and maybe if you're filming a TV show, a cameraman in the back :P
The question is why make it adjustable when there is no need to adjust it? Everyone is going to leave it at max track. Same with putting on slicks - if slicks were available, no one would use normal tires.

Gear ratios, LSDs, and other suspension tweaks are another story. If you change something here, you will lose something there. It is a trade-off and it's up to the driver/team to make the correct trade-offs to maximize the gains and reduce the loss. The amount of extent to how much customizations are 'unrealistic' (0.1kN/mm) but what we can customize I think is.

I guess it's not about how easy it is to do in real life. In real life, you can bolt on a turbo - or a freaking jet engine to the back of your car. But that doesn't make it a valid customization in the sim.
Quote from GenesisX :The question is why make it adjustable when there is no need to adjust it? Everyone is going to leave it at max track. Same with putting on slicks - if slicks were available, no one would use normal tires.

That's just not true. Do you think everyone would abandon road tyres just because the game would allow for slicks to be used? I know I wouldn't. Along with all these setup tweaks, I want the server to be able to change the rules of setups in ways of overriding different aspects of the setups. For instance making all XRG's use road tyres or semi slicks.
I do partly agree with GenesisX.

Before posting #18, I did check the available setup options in LFS to see if there's any one that is not a kind of balance. There aren't many, but still a few. (What's the last time you see road normals racing against road supers?)

In theory, any kind of improvement would lead to a balancing situation when extrapolated enough. Track adjustment is no exception. The only problem here is, if you allow players to use whatever offset they like, cars would look quite interesting when they reach the balanced point. It's not much better for slicks on road cars using LFS's current tyre system. Slow cars put less pressure on the tyres, so they will end up using more grippy super soft tyres than the powerful ones. That sounds pretty bad.

I'm not against the idea of allowing slicks on road cars as long as they can be disallowed easily. This rule can be enforced by a built-in option or a InSim app. For wheel spacers, I can't see any particular use. Why did our devs make it at that time?

I've been dreaming about server-side setup restriction for years. This ability would lead to a lot of interesting ways of racing, like pure driving challenges where all players drive with exactly the same setup. It's actually possible now, via some dirty hack.

Or maybe the game can provide 2 presets. One is free setup like what we have now. The other is a very limited subset similar to real life. The server can choose which one to use.
Quote from Keling :I do partly agree with GenesisX.
Before posting #18, I did check the available setup options in LFS to see if there's any one that is not a kind of balance. There aren't many, but still a few. (What's the last time you see road normals racing against road supers?)

Other good examples are open diffs and less steering lock. I can't think of any benefits.
Quote from pärtan :Other good examples are open diffs and less steering lock. I can't think of any benefits.

Open diffs are used on almost all road going cars, so you can create a real road going setup with it. Lower steering lock can be useful on high speed tracks like Kyoto Oval or maybe Westhill, it increases steering precision and car's stability a bit.
Quote from MadCatX :Open diffs are used on almost all road going cars, so you can create a real road going setup with it.

Indeed, but it doesn't benefit you in ways of going faster around a race track compared to LSD's. Yet the option is still there.

Quote from MadCatX :Lower steering lock can be useful on high speed tracks like Kyoto Oval or maybe Westhill, it increases steering precision and car's stability a bit.

Hmm, wouldn't you get the same precision by just using more rotation on your physical wheel and steer less? Then you can also counter steer further if it's needed. I guess it's more of a mouse steering thing though really.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG