The online racing simulator
Sorry, my mistake. I apparently mis-read or mis-interpreted some things.

It gets my vote!
woah! 3 years bump eh?, well IMO there are no auto-only cars in LFS now. So if LFS introduces an auto-only car like the McLaren SLR, then this feature must be implemented I guess.
If SLR is really introduced, maybe they can allow only speed-shift mode (which locks the converter from gear 1) to avoid the problem.
Quote from rageshgr :woah! 3 years bump eh?, well IMO there are no auto-only cars in LFS now. So if LFS introduces an auto-only car like the McLaren SLR, then this feature must be implemented I guess.

Nothing wrong with a three year bump,,,, its not about what LFS is but rather what it could be, there are many applications other than plain old racing!
I didn't say there is anything wrong
Quote from wheel4hummer :So, you are saying that Formula 1 is not racing?

these days it isnt anymore. vettel taps the gas and drives away
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :these days it isnt anymore. vettel taps the gas and drives away

It would be nice to see you in an F1 car, you make it sound like it's an easy task.

I think you will fail miserably.
Quote from ATHome :It would be nice to see you in an F1 car, you make it sound like it's an easy task.

I think you will fail miserably.

give me the money and ill show it to you
Seems this thread have been created long time ago, where I really tried to explain my point, by getting annoyed by myself lol

Anyway...

Car with CVT?

And I know there is few car, which has CVT... ( no idea why though, or actually I have idea, because if people have born retarded, by reason or no reason, there are always a car created for them, to have easier use the vehicle for many tasks. AND I know someone even RACES with cars, which has CVT)

Altough this thread is about automatic gearbox, isn't CVT is also a bit similar?

I would like to see a one
In the meantime there is that automatic transmission simulator add-on for LFS that drives quite good like a DSG but with only 1 clutch. I love this thing and it made me actually buy a real automatic

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=55636
Quote from 1303s_vortech :There is torque loss with cvt/auto (due to slip factor), engine braking is weaker, fuel consumption is worst...well... apart for people with handicap, could someone tell us what's the benefit when you can use your legs & feet as a normal person do?

Please dont tell its easier to drive in traffic jam, there's none on a race track...

I suppose you will sell your vacuum-cleaner and use your broom instead? Good, it saves a lot of energy

Modern auto-boxes have very complex software built in. For example, when and how much let the torgue converter to slip so you can accelerate better from 5km/h in 2nd gear, but when to decide to change gear to 1st when throttle position is gone down too much, or when speed increases the slip will be reduced. gradually depending on throttle position, speed, load of car...

I say no to auto-boxes in lfs is very complex to program and get it really right! And i have driven a car which had a autobox with flawed software in it. the software destroyed the gearbox!! by making wrong gear down changes(3rd -> 2nd at 110+km/h on a standard road car with a standard 2 liter engine, auch!)
#63 - Ezpz
Quote from Bluebird B B :I suppose you will sell your vacuum-cleaner and use your broom instead? Good, it saves a lot of energy

That's just a fallacy.
Advancement in technology is good but if we don't do anything and let technology do everything then this is not a good thing and I am here with a latest news that General Motors announced at the launch of Tavera Neo 3 that the company would launch the facelift version of Chevrolet Captiva in the next two to three weeks.The new Captiva will be powered by a 2.2-liter diesel engine driving a power of 184 BHP.
Quote from vikaskumar11233 :Advancement in technology is good but if we don't do anything and let technology do everything then this is not a good thing and I am here with a latest news that General Motors announced at the launch of Tavera Neo 3 that the company would launch the facelift version of Chevrolet Captiva in the next two to three weeks.The new Captiva will be powered by a 2.2-liter diesel engine driving a power of 184 BHP.

Se we just basically have to destroy Chevrolet, no?
i have to agree that a proper automatic would be great to have here, but i also agree that it would be to troublesome to code. On the other hand, a PROPER auto is actually faster than any standard. An auto can shift faster than a human.
Quote from RaginViper :i have to agree that a proper automatic would be great to have here, but i also agree that it would be to troublesome to code. On the other hand, a PROPER auto is actually faster than any standard. An auto can shift faster than a human.

If you were talking about some sporty AMT, DSG or dog-clutched sequential, of course they are faster. But they are not harder to code compared to the (semi-)manual counterpart. It's only a matter of shift timing (already coded in the AI system). The rest are exactly the same.

Traditional autos with torque convertors are different (no necessarily harder, just different) in terms of coding. But do we really need that in a track racing sim ?
Quote from RaginViper :i have to agree that a proper automatic would be great to have here, but i also agree that it would be to troublesome to code. On the other hand, a PROPER auto is actually faster than any standard. An auto can shift faster than a human.

You've never used a Speco straight shifter then?
Bangs through the gears faster than any other manual shifter I have ever used, will beat all but the newest auto boxes with ease.
#note# It can also kill most manual boxes faster than flat shifting with no clutch though.

Keling is right though, do we really need an auto?
There is already an auto shift option, use that.
IF you can't drive "stick" as the US says.
Quote from Keling :Traditional autos with torque convertors are different (no necessarily harder, just different) in terms of coding. But do we really need that in a track racing sim ?

Traditional Auto boxes can handle drivetrain shock better than a manual box, which makes it useful for offroad or rallycross racing. LFS already has rallycross, so adding an automatic would be interesting in the part of rallycross.

That said, a car with an automatic done right (actually simulating a torque convertor's hydraulics and the gearbox's shift aglorithm and the additional weight to the car) would make for the auto vs manual argument more - improved durability at the expense of weight, power, and having to let the system do the gear changes, or less weight, better power, manual shifting, but having to be more careful over jumps and bumps.

Also, auto boxes are frequently used in drag racing, because they are able to launch the car more consistently and also if tuned right can shift faster at full throttle than using a manual box, which makes up for the power loss and weight of having one. You also don't incinerate a clutch if you botch a drag launch.

In all, this should be a feature in LFS, which can lay claim to being the first car racing sim that actually simulates an automatic, and doesn't just have the system shift a manual for you.
Quote from Impreza WRX :Also, auto boxes are frequently used in drag racing, because they are able to launch the car more consistently and also if tuned right can shift faster at full throttle than using a manual box

What about a Lenco?
Quote from wheel4hummer :What about a Lenco?

You mean the LENCODRIVE auto drag box? Yes, this is a hybrid combination - torque converter-based drag box, using planetary gears, but with manual shift. It can be adapted to have auto shift functionality as well.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG