The online racing simulator
Bad speed of sense in LFS S2
(10 posts, started )
Hi,

I've been trying to play with LFS several times; first a lot of years ago on a partially state-of-the-art hardware. I recognized that there are effectively no sense of speed in the game, that is, when my actual speed is 150 kmph, I feel like going at 30 kmph. Because LFS is known for its high degree of realism, I thought my hardware is not good enough and I left the game.

Now that I have purchased a Radeon HD 7770 card and inserted into a Core i3 processor, which is not state-of-the-art, but with which F1 2012 demo runs seamlessly, I have the same problem: the car feels like a snail. Since my hardware's capacity and performance become several times bigger than some years ago, I think hardware resources may not be the problem anymore. (In addition, Richard Burns Rally runs also smoothless with wipers on in cockpit view, as well, which was a critical point for me in earlier computers.)

Did anyone experience the same situation, and could you give me some tips on how to get a good speed of sense?

Thanks in advance,
eM
try fiddling around with the field of view for instance. (is it on the buttons 5 and 6 by default? i don't remember.)
changes the perception of velocity quite much, i think.
Field of view and the missing (and almost not simulate-able) seat-of-pants feel you have in a real car are some points. Another is that race tracks are a lot wider than a normal road, and thus feel slower.

Another thing you can try is the Skidsound pack I've linked to in my signature. Its louder and more prominent on very light skids, so (at least for me) its easier to estimate my tires grip level.
Thanks for you, both. I'll give these a try and will let you know if it helped.
Due to the narrow field of view from a computer screen, you can only watch straight ahead. In a real car on the autobahn if you look straight ahead, it looks slow too. I guess thats why you tell people who get motionsick in cars to look at horizone?
Only the stuff at the sides seems to move really fast.
So the best way is to get more screens!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk7hwX2j97I (random yt video)

It depends on the track too, on the Blackwood straight or Kyoto tracks the walls are far away, feels slower. On south city track it feels much faster imo because of the close guard rails.
hi
What about that hill in Tokyo drift ? that would be wicked to drift
You can also try messing with the g-forces, in Options->View at the bottom there are some slides about the movements due to g-forces. Having them at about 1/5 each is better for giving the perception of speed.

Although the most important is indeed the Field of View.
#8 - Omar1
Quote from UKMANUK :What about that hill in Tokyo drift ? that would be wicked to drift

what?
@emusty: you mean 'sense of speed' not 'speed of sense' do you?
Try using 100 of FoV, it can improve a loot the sense of speed in "big" track, also XFG and XRG and FBM are not good enough to "sense" the SoP in general

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG