The online racing simulator
Alternatives to Firefox that aren't Chrome
(51 posts, started )
I was Opera user for almost 10 years but it became real crap.. Chrome for me.
Not sure if it was already mentioned, but CometBird and Maxthon aren't bad browsers. Maxthon even has some nice features.
CometBird is just another clone of Firefox and Maxthon 3 uses WebKit rendering engine so in its core its similar to Safari, reKonq or Chromium.

Isn't it kinda sad that when it comes to browsing the last bastion of freedom that has left you don't have much of a choice as to what you'll browse it with?
would browser profiles really be that hard. Chrome has the User-switcher in the top left (right in osx) as a giant icon. If you're in the wrong profile.. you can just click the icon.. new window with the right profile loaded. idiot-proof really.
Quote from E.Reiljans :He said "that aren't Chrome".

I don't mind it being Chrome in all but name, as long as it's a separate installation (see the issue with bookmarks in the OP).

Quote from k-meleon :would browser profiles really be that hard. Chrome has the User-switcher in the top left (right in osx) as a giant icon. If you're in the wrong profile.. you can just click the icon.. new window with the right profile loaded. idiot-proof really.

You have obviously never met my wife
Just set the icon to be the woman icon or the daisy icon. It might work!!

Although, it's a little startling that she'd be smart enough to use Chrome before you!
You could make two Chrome launchers, one for your wife's profile and another for you. It's actually not that difficult.
- Add a new user profile in Wrench->Settings->Settings->Users/Add new user
- Create a new shortcut on the desktop pointing to something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google Chrome\chrome.exe --profile-directory="PROFILE_NAME"

Getting the profile name right is a bit tricky as Chrome expects its internal profile name here. You can find the profile name by looking into Chrome's configuration directory (I guess that on Windows its in C:\Users\username\Application Data\Chrome). You'll probably see directories named "Default" and "Profile 1" assuming that you added just one user. The "Default" profile should be the newly added one.
(BTW you might want to backup the config directory before you start experimenting with this just in case.)
ooh, I like that idea. I'll give it a go.
As mentioned before - I'd also go for Palemoon. I was using nightly Firefox for very long time, but it started to by painful experience, then I switched to Aurora, after few months back to nightly and then I decided to stop this experimenting and moved to Palemoon, which, in version 15 is a lot faster for me (not only my feeling) than any version of Firefox (release, beta, aurora, nightly).

I was trying to move on to Iron (shit-free version of Chrome) many times, but always ended up on Firefox again. Chrome is just way too simple and dumb. I must say that Chrome is more responsive and the UI is smoother than Firefox, but comparing to Palemoon it could be almost the same.
Quote from majod :As mentioned before - I'd also go for Palemoon. I was using nightly Firefox for very long time, but it started to by painful experience, then I switched to Aurora, after few months back to nightly and then I decided to stop this experimenting and moved to Palemoon, which, in version 15 is a lot faster for me (not only my feeling) than any version of Firefox (release, beta, aurora, nightly).

I was trying to move on to Iron (shit-free version of Chrome) many times, but always ended up on Firefox again. Chrome is just way too simple and dumb. I must say that Chrome is more responsive and the UI is smoother than Firefox, but comparing to Palemoon it could be almost the same.

Uh, it's scam-full, not shit-free version. Chrome is shit-less by itself.
Well for me IE9 is the fastest browser and I have no complains.
IE9? Fastest? Ahhahahahahah
No no no! I mean fastest browser for my PC, not for everyone.
Your PC isn't unique in any sense. IE9 is inferior to Chrome on any PC.
Who cares about benchmark results? They mean nothing to the user. I use Chrome because of a few extensions, but the times I do use IE9 it doesn't feel slow in any way shape or form, it's just as smooth as Chrome.
IE9 fully opens in ~2 seconds while FF takes 4-5 seconds.
The only benchmark Im interested in is how well it performs with 50tabs and limited amount of ram.

Only opera has survived my tests, and chrome starts to swap horribly quite quickly, firefox was slightly better than chrome the last time I tested. My test is obviously slanted towards the pages I use...
Quote from heson :The only benchmark Im interested in is how well it performs with 50tabs and limited amount of ram.

Only opera has survived my tests, and chrome starts to swap horribly quite quickly, firefox was slightly better than chrome the last time I tested. My test is obviously slanted towards the pages I use...

Just some info about Firefox:

In latest versions of Firefox it "unloads" the tabs that did not take facous for a while. The other day I had 88 tabs opened, but as I was only using some of them the ram consumption did not raise like hell.
Also, extensions are the main cause of memmory leaks and not Firefox itself.
As a web dev Firefox is my main browser, but I would never make the mistake of calling it fast. Firefox has the best plugins for developers.

Use of Opera is a bit too hippy nowadays, you got to be real weird to use it. My site stats for Opera are so low nowadays that I stopped testing with it 2 years ago.

I know a lot of people use IE, these are the people holding up the human race. I can't blame Microsoft for how bad it is, they have a business model and it clearly works for them - but the people who use IE will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes. I shall see to that personally.
Opera
Quote from Becky Rose :Use of Opera is a bit too hippy nowadays, you got to be real weird to use it.

thanks For me it is (and was for years) a relatively fast browser with a very good built-in email client.

Today there are a lot of small features that work quite well, some even because its so unpopular (i.e popup blockers, youtube extensions like adds free, unblockers for us GEMA ridden germans and so on), noone gives a damn about those few opera users blocking their sites adds.

btw, Whiskey, why the hell do you need 88 tabs ??
Quote from ACCAkut :btw, Whiskey, why the hell do you need 88 tabs ??

I can tell how I use 100+ tabs.

I have a tab for every site I frequent, thats 10. Then a few tab groups for projects I got and som stuff I need to take care of or read 30tabs. Webcomics, one tab each to keep track of what I have seen 10 tabs.
Then I visit a link farm or slashdot, middleclick on stuff that looks interesting browse through the page until I get to the bottom or when I was last time 5-50 tabs.

Same for research, google for something, middlecklick anything that looks interesting do this for a few pages of googleresults and then take care of the tabs, 5-20tabs.

Bookmarks are obsolete.
Quote from Becky Rose :As a web dev Firefox is my main browser, but I would never make the mistake of calling it fast. Firefox has the best plugins for developers.

Use of Opera is a bit too hippy nowadays, you got to be real weird to use it. My site stats for Opera are so low nowadays that I stopped testing with it 2 years ago.

I know a lot of people use IE, these are the people holding up the human race. I can't blame Microsoft for how bad it is, they have a business model and it clearly works for them - but the people who use IE will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes. I shall see to that personally.

Why use firefox for web development? Chrome/Safari's Web Inspector is infinitely better than Firefox's extension dev tools. I've used the Safari ones for years and find them significantly better, easier to find details about elements. Easier to debug script. Just so much time saved.
Quote from k-meleon :Why use firefox for web development? Chrome/Safari's Web Inspector is infinitely better than Firefox's extension dev tools. I've used the Safari ones for years and find them significantly better, easier to find details about elements. Easier to debug script. Just so much time saved.

Because firebug.

Yes there is a Crome version, but the Crome version is a bit so-what.

Crome tools are okay, but once you know firebug I side out and couple it with web toolbar the organisation of the debug info isinfinitely better as you put it, available in less clicks or the same number, with better use of screen real estate for each report.

I know a minority of devs do you crome nowadays, each to their own. Its like IDE's - use what you like as long as your tabs are set to the same number of spaces.
Quote from ACCAkut :
btw, Whiskey, why the hell do you need 88 tabs ??

At the moment I have "only" 47 tabs. I'm doing some things that are new to me, so I need a lot of tutorials and examples open while I work (closing tabs as I complete those taks). Though I will never have les than 30 tabs open whatever I'm doing haha

Alternatives to Firefox that aren't Chrome
(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG