The online racing simulator
Alternatives to Firefox that aren't Chrome
(51 posts, started )
Does anyone regularly use any browser that isn't Chrome or FF? I've been a FF user for years but it's REALLY starting to get on my nerves, mostly due to the random 10 second freezes and the fact that it'll happily much through 500MB of memory with just a single tab open.

I can't use Chrome because the Mrs's bookmarks are on there and using two browsers is far, far easier than having to set her up her own login or having to explain browser profiles.
Internet Explorer
opera <3
It's not like there's 26 different browsers, just try the ones that are left.
Safari...no really. It's not terrible.
Opera
How about you reinstall Firefox and remove some addons. Firefox never uses that much RAM if it's clean. I use around 200MB of ram with 24 tabs opened.

Else Palemoon indeed.
Netscape Navigator
#11 - JJ72
I am pretty sure it is possible what you asked for. Just click the wrench thing and go to bookmarks/ import bookmarks and settings.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Does anyone regularly use any browser that isn't Chrome or FF? I've been a FF user for years but it's REALLY starting to get on my nerves, mostly due to the random 10 second freezes and the fact that it'll happily much through 500MB of memory with just a single tab open.

I can't use Chrome because the Mrs's bookmarks are on there and using two browsers is far, far easier than having to set her up her own login or having to explain browser profiles.

How about Iron? I use it as my Chromium-based browser to do x-browser dev tests.

It's basically Chrome without the google "spying" stuff included

Cheers..

Ian
Quote from Crashgate3 :Does anyone regularly use any browser that isn't Chrome or FF? I've been a FF user for years but it's REALLY starting to get on my nerves, mostly due to the random 10 second freezes and the fact that it'll happily much through 500MB of memory with just a single tab open.

You could try deleting your FF profile and maybe do a clean install of FF 15. FF is arguably the least resource efficient browser out there, but despite that it's been working fine for me.
Unfortunately the is only a handful of "actual" browsers. Chrome (Chromium, Iron), Firefox (Waterfox, Palemoon), Opera and IE. Opera used to be a good browser back in the day, mainly because of its fast JavaScript interpreter and concurrent content downloading. Since other browsers have gotten better at these things too, its popularity has fallen because there's nothing special about it anymore.
IE is actually pretty good these days (IE9), the bad old days are gone.. otherwise, Opera (although it tends to render some pages oddly for me) - those are the big four, the rest of the browsers are pretty niche
I think there is some sort of bug regarding the latest Catalysts and Firefox using acceleration causing excessive memory usage. Can't find the info at the moment though.
Opera for me.
Quote from mythdat :IE is actually pretty good these days (IE9), the bad old days are gone.. otherwise, Opera (although it tends to render some pages oddly for me) - those are the big four, the rest of the browsers are pretty niche

k
lol IE. Every time i use it for whatever reason (to download something out of it's temp folder), it's like i've degraded my hardware to 500mhz and 256ram.
Safari's not bad. It's basically Chrome with different... chrome. Lol.

I've never bothered replacing it as the default browser on my Mac so it can't be that bad.
Internet Exploiter is a great browser...for downloading Firefox.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Safari's not bad. It's basically Chrome with different... chrome. Lol.

I've never bothered replacing it as the default browser on my Mac so it can't be that bad.

Apple have stopped updating Safari on Windows, so now it's a bad choice.
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
elinks for the win!

emacs-w3 but it is quite slow sadly.

dillo, fastest browser ever (because it does not support anything)

Actually I am an opera user since the time when you had to pay to skip the ads (only software for PC that I have payed for (that is not a game))

Firefox died when they stopped taking care of addon/plugin creators, it was great with an extendable browser, but currently on every upgrade you have to hunt for replacements that works and then its back to trusty old opera that has everything needed builtin.

At work I use ie6. (for buggy corporate crap that is as old as ie6)

(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG