The online racing simulator
Skin download problem
(41 posts, started )
NAT - Network Address Translation. It is used when you need to connect more than one computer to internet using one physical connection. For ex, Im on 3Mbit ADSL connection and I share it to another one computer. Because these "network" has one physical external IP address, I need to do a NAT to differentiate which data are sent to first PC and which to second one. Do you have anything like this?

(I know that my NAT explanation is crap, but I did my best)
Now that you've explained it, yes, I do have a NAT. What now?

DK
How is your NAT realized? Via router or via WinXP internet connection sharing?
Well, I shloud give a better explanation for better readibility.

If you have NAT by WinXP ICS, one computer is connected to the internet via Modem, WiFi or whatever. Other PCs are connected via LAN to this computer and WinXP takes care about proper internet sharing.

If you have NAT by router, no PC is connected directly to the internet. They are all connected to the router that behaves like a etherhet switch(so there is a LAN among the PCs). Only router is connected to the internet and routers firmware takes care about proper internet sharing.

I hope you can see the difference(and I hope you can forgive me missing apostrophes, i know it made all text more difficult to read...:shy
Via a router (which is firewalled)

DK
So than you need to read out from a manual to the router how to do a router administration and forward there LFS ports on your computer
It's not as simple as that I'm afraid, In order to do that I have to a) convince the people in charge to open the firewall, which is never going to happen and b) if a) doesn't happen, break into the server room and do it manually, which is going to result in me being thrown out of where I am.

DK
There is no need to change anything on the firewall because LFS itself is working. Just contact the admin of your network and ask him to forward ports that LFS uses(TBH I not sure which ports are that, but Im sure someone around know it)

But on the other side, problem with your skins doesnt necesarrily have to be related to unforwarded port. It is probable(maybe LFS cannot contact master server mor skindownloading), but not sure.....

BTW, it looks like you are playing LFS at work. These factory networks are usually set to allow only NEEDED communication. Playing online games at work is globally considered as a bad idea.....
In order:

1) LFS can contact the server for skin downloads, as it tells me that 'downloading <name>' then 'socket closed <name>'

2) I'm not playing LFS at work, I'm at a residential college and using their network AFTER COLLEGE HOURS, when it's permitted.

Any ideas?

DK
If it says "socket closed", it REALLY looks like your college router doesnt allow LFS to use download service of master server. You should ask in "General forum" about the way how is LFS getting skins and than whe can think up some solution.
Thanks, I'll try that.

DK
Most likely your dorm has a similar set up as my school had, all outbound traffic allowed except traffic to port 80 (www) had to go through a proxy to allow easy webusage monitoring and to deter security aware people doing rogue installs of Firefox etc.

Check your IP here:
http://whatismyip.com/
If it's different than you get from clicking start->run->cmd->ipconfig then there's a proxy between you and LFSWorld and you're SOL as LFS doesn't know proxy and LFSW only works on port 80 afaik and you can't change that.
Yep, you're right, there is a proxy, any suggestions?

DK
If i get a skin from these forums, put em in me skin folder, and leave it at that without uploading to LFS world will people still see my skin online???
Thanks
Only if they also have it in their skins or skins_x directory. You need to upload it to LFSW for those who don't have it to be able to get it.
Charrs

Skin download problem
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG