The online racing simulator
Skin download problem
(41 posts, started )
Skin download problem
Hi, I have a weird problem, the auto skin downloader doesn't work, it says it's downloading them, but I don't see the skins on the cars. Any ideas?

DK
#2 - herki
did you pit inbetween. iirc lfs doesn't apply the skins when you're in a race
No, it happens when I join a race, or when other racers join, I check the skins_x folder and it is empty. It's really annoying when racers ask 'can u see my kool skin?' over and over again.

DK
Sounds weird.

Only thing I can suggest is to check that your LFS folder (and subfolders) aren't set to be read only.
I'll check that now...which it is, and whenever I set it to NOT be read only, it reverts back to read only, any ideas?

EDIT: I don't have admin rights, and am thinking about hacking my admin password...

DK
This bug in NTFS filesystem sometimes occures under WinXP, it doesnt have anything to do with admin rights. Just delele your current LFS folder and create a new one. Or do the scandisk on the drive where LFS is unpacked, also helps sometimes.
Thanks, if I delete my current LFS folder, will I have to unlock it again?

DK
Probably yes.....
Rats...time to PM the devs again... (j/k)

EDIT: Reinstalled, still same problem...any other ideas?

DK
Is LFS folder still marked as "read-only"? If so, do the scandisk, it may require a restart if LFS is on your system partition/disk.

EDIT - Wow, I just found out that my LFS dir has a "green-boxed" Read-Only option. Donut know what this weirdness means - but its probably because of Microsoft name in Devepoled by colon in NTFS filesystem description. But my skin downloading works fine.... check your LFS settings, there could be something wrong
I have the 'green boxed' problem, I have auto skin downloading on, and can't think what else may be the cause
Do you have the latest U14 test patch? Maybe it can solve the problem. Attached file is my working LFS config, so try it if you want. (dont forget to backup your owns one:nod

EDIT - If you copy some file into LFS\data\skins_x dir, do you got message that the folder is "Read-Only" or does the file copy normally?
Attached files
cfg.txt - 3.1 KB - 159 views
I don't use the test patches to be honest, I'll try copying a file into the skins_x dir. It copies across normally.

DK
So the LFS dir seemes to not be banned for writing. If you are worried about test patches behaviour, you can unpack backup LFS.exe and necessary files. I have U14 test patch and I havent been suffered by any problems so far, so you also shouldnt be.
But if I install a test patch, I'll need to unlock it again, won't I? Also, should I make a copy of my LFS install?

DK
No to both.

You keep your sets, skins etc. if you install a Test Patch.
Woohoo! Thanks. (I hope you're right, as I'm out of unlocks)

DK
I guess, you were on Patch U before?

If not, then you will have to use an unlock IIRC!!
I was on patch U, yes.

DK
No fear then, just install it.
Just tried it, no luck, it still doesn't download the skins. Could being behind a firewall cause it?

DK
Dont know.

But I would assume, that its not because of that, if you can connect to a server.
It's weird, and really annoying, and yep, I can connect to servers. But people can't connect to mine when I start a game. Any thoughts/ideas?

DK
Are you behind some NAT? Maybe there is some port-forwarding issue..... what internet conection do you have anyway?
I don't know what a NAT is, I'm on a 2Meg (firewalled) connection. I scanned the ports and it said they all were closed.

DK

Skin download problem
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG