The online racing simulator

Poll : Reputation system for the forum?

Thumb up
Thumb down
What about a reputation system for the forum?
No idea if this has been proposed before, but I’ve noticed that many forum members were posting quality stuff and that many were spending time to try helping others. I always have the feeling to reward those ppls with something more than ‘’good post bro’’ or ‘’+1’’, it seems like a waste of my time and a waste of space in the forum. So what would you all think about a reputation system?

I means something like two buttons added to each posts ‘’thumb up’’ and ‘’thumb down’’ which ppls can click when they appreciate the post (positively or negatively). Of course we all know that some ppls would abuse this system and give unlimited amount to their friends, so everyone could have a maximum of 3 points to give or take each day and a limit of 1 point per post to limit abuses . the posts could display its score (maybe on the buttons) and a column could be added to the members list to show reputations. Most of us are competitive ppls here and I am sure it would motivate many ppls to share more substantial stuff and others would be more careful while trolling around… And who knows, It could even help improve the quality of this forum!

On the side, to help admin work, we could even set a minimum of points allowed. e.g. if you get to -20 or -50 you get automatically banned for a week, but that’s maybe too extreme for now…

I know this is doable on VBulletin forums…
I like the idea but the banning system is going too far,
Jordan2007 is awesome
Some users are hated on this forum and i believe people will abuse the -1 to get someone banned.
perhaps a 'was this reply useful?' vote system would be better than personal scores.
in this way the best answers could rise to the top (like yahoo/youtube) but can also be viewed chronologically underneath
#4 - Bean0
Forum reputation is always abused with people giving rep to their mates just for the sake of it. There is a mod for vB to 'Thank' or 'Like' a post, but it adds so much text it ruins the readability of the forums which I think was tried and quickly removed again.
I don't think the post rating has anything to bring to the table. You can always report spam or other inappropriate posts. IMO the whole "user rep" thing is nothing but a form of eMasturbation for forum addicts. Since there is no way how to make people use the + / - rating responsibly, I guess it would just make the forum harder to moderate, aka "That ban is unfair, I got all my minuses from him"
Quote from MadCatX : IMO the whole "user rep" thing is nothing but a form of eMasturbation for forum addicts.

Ho, and you think that trolling and flaming are not?

Like I said, the banning part is too extreme, system could be tested without...

I saw a mod like this run on a very busy forum (+1M visitors a month) for years without troubles and the only thing that was added to the posts were two very small buttons (+/-) and the rep total next to it... Sadly that forum has been closed so I can't show it here, but I'll ask my friend what mod he was using.
Quote from Bean0 :Forum reputation is always abused with people giving rep to their mates just for the sake of it. There is a mod for vB to 'Thank' or 'Like' a post, but it adds so much text it ruins the readability of the forums which I think was tried and quickly removed again.

IIRC It was due to a few people spamming it, rep system? No thank you
Would not use if implemented. Strikes me as incredibly vain

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG