The online racing simulator
Thread-iquette
(47 posts, started )
Thread-iquette
I just noticed that Scawen has closed 4 threads on the main page - four - just this morning (morning for me in Aus anyway, who knows what time it is in Europe/US/Asia ).

No complaints there, Scawen seems to have exercised some good foresight in some cases :up:

But it got me thinking about all the other threads that have been locked up lately and if anyone here thinks it's a problem or not. I'd rather developers didn't have to keep coming along and locking threads up because they threaten to deteriorate into arguments or pointless babble. I think we've all been guilty of contributing to silliness now and then, and some fooling around is a good thing (I admit I'm not totally innocent of throwing spam around), but I hope from now on we can all try to avoid setting a world record for main-page padlocks and resist the temptation to add to threads which have served their purpose/made their point/outlived their usefulness.

Anyway, I'm not trying to point fingers or soap-box for the heck of it, I just hope we can all try and keep our forum fun and interesting, but also to the point :up:

Cheers!
.h.
Last thread like this got locked up too you know But I know you're right, but I know I'm not worth more than just a whole lotta spam. But I just try to enjoy myself here, and I try to keep the real spam to a minimum. I think if I would shut up, this place would be a lot nicer

And just for the record, it's almost 3 o'clock in the morning here
#3 - ajp71
Best thread all day

Sorry for participating in locking a thread I'll start behaving myself
I think the point is illustrated very well here
#5 - axus
I started a thread about this last week I think... it ended up locked... aaaah, the irony.

Anyways, the idea that we had is that for every thread started by a user that has less than say 30 or 40 posts, the thread has to be confirmed by a moderator before it is accepted.

The problem is that people think less and less about the contents of the threads they post. Also the search function is generally ignored, or atleast not used by many people (who knows how many threads we'd have if there was no search function), resulting in repeats of repeats of threads.

As said in the other thread:
posts & threads ++
quality & content --

Not a good trend.
Just a little discipline and good sense plus being courteous to fellow members = no need for moderators any more and we can go back to skinning/racing/bringing up children(*delete as applicable).
It's really not rocket science, but the moment threads get way O/T or descend into trading personal insults, they WILL get locked.
this place has always thrived on a fairly relaxed community attitude, it's good to have a bit of a joke and a banter, but please if people would just take care not to post deliberately inflammatory remarks then life would be so much more pleasant.
And why is this in the general LFS Discussion I wonder
Talking about the LFS community is general LFS, no?

Problem with the search function is, it's most of the time not very easy or handy to use. I never really asked any stupid questions wich were explained somewhere else, maybe sometimes. I try using the search function, but sometimes you get A LOT of options. So I never really liked the search function.

Stickies... Well, a lot of people just don't read those, when I started going on forums, it was like... Sticky, wth is a sticky? *ignore it*

And about going off-topic and stuff... I have nothing to do with any of these... Look, a birdy!!
Quote from K.David :And why is this in the general LFS Discussion I wonder

This is a discussion about LFS. It's about forum usage - specifically about all the lock-ups that are on the main page right now - so the main page seemed the most appropriate place for it.

Five threads were locked up today, which must be some kind of record. It suggests that we, the LFS community, need to exercise a touch more common sense when starting threads. I'm sure the developers have more enjoyable things to do than go around moderating like mad and locking threads up
Quote from K.David :And why is this in the general LFS Discussion I wonder

I would suggest this sort of post is of no value to the thread. If you are not adding value to the thread, why not find another thread to post in?
because he is bored. kinda like why i just posted in this thread
This time I didn't start off-topic, I'm very proud to see more and more people following in my footsteps

And to be of value to the thread: Gabkicks, go be bored somewhere else, go racing or something!! Funny actually, when I get bored I come to the forums instead of firing up LFS... I spend more time here than in the game
OK I thought this section was only about the game... relax.
This kind of shows that moderators and regular forumers (1000+ posts) are treated differently for posting off topic than the "average" person. Cool.
If u wanna prove some form of different treatment, this thread was no good example of that.
Seems perfectly suited for general discussion, to me.
You made me stick with the op on this one, imagine that.
Come on, K.David, don't take offense or act like you're being persecuted here. It looks like you got a fair answer (or three ) to your post, imho.

I'd like to think anyone who said a similar thing would have received a similar response, regardless of their post count.
Quote from Gabkicks :because he is bored. kinda like why i just posted in this thread

...and Gab, you should know better. THats 850 post counts deducted for your cheek
You know, I noticed threads being locked up a lot too. Of course these threads were pretty much wrong to begin with and needed locking.
I guess it's just the downside of LFS gaining in popularity.

LOL Oh well at least they ain't whining for an update patch or whatever :shhh:
Don't lock threads. What's the worst that could happen? Most threads get locked after the conflict has been resolved already, anyway. Just let them die.
#20 - axus
Quote from Whisper :Don't lock threads. What's the worst that could happen? Most threads get locked after the conflict has been resolved already, anyway. Just let them die.

...I disagree completely.
Quote from axus :...I disagree completely.

I don't, though. I agree completely with everything I said.
That's not much of an argument.
Quote from Bob Smith :That's not much of an argument.

My point exactly.
#24 - axus
Ok, what you're saying is "its OK to breed a world of retards who can't think for themselves or think before they post and waste everyone else's time because others have to think for them instead of getting them to think a bit more."

I'm not saying you're one of those people but when you see someone suggest rain as an improvement, its a bit sad.
Quote from axus :Ok, what you're saying is "its OK to breed a world of retards who can't think for themselves or think before they post and waste everyone else's time because others have to think for them instead of getting them to think a bit more."

I'm not saying you're one of those people but when you see someone suggest rain as an improvement, its a bit sad.

If you look at some of the closed threads, you'll see that they weren't closed because of retards.

Quoting:

"I will close this thread because it's boring"

"OK, I will close this thread now. Simply because all that needs to be said, has been said."

Or sometimes it's just a link to an answer.

I don't think those threads need locking, simply because they would die soon anyway.

Locking should only happen when there's a serious rule-breaking, flame war, or spam. I don't think I've encountered any of that in the locked threads I've read.

Thread-iquette
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG