The online racing simulator
Flashback - The Mac Virus !
(50 posts, started )
mac's always had viruses ( the users are a virus, but thats a totally different thread )

their expolits in this more modern era is to get you're interlinked details so they can sells or uses thems...

imho: if you're not carful in life who's fault is it but you'res ?
Quote from theirishnoob :mac's always had viruses ( the users are a virus, but thats a totally different thread )

This is all I was poking fun about. I have no real problems with Apple devices themselves, it's only their business practices and brainwashed lemmings for a user-base that get me incensed from time to time. People should get iPads and iPhones if they like them, but for the love of all things good, they NEED to stop pretending that tablets and smartphones were in any way shape or form "invented" by Apple, and that there aren't alternatives out there ... most of which offer a lot more functionality. Kudos to their marketing efforts though, I guess that's all it's really about in the end since their target demographic appears to be superficial droolers with more money than sense
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :they NEED to stop pretending that tablets and smartphones were in any way shape or form "invented" by Apple, and that there aren't alternatives out there ... most of which offer a lot more functionality.

What tablet is available that offers a better range of software than the iPad?

More software doesn't mean better software.
#29 - PoVo
Quote from thisnameistaken :What tablet is available that offers a better range of software than the iPad?

More software doesn't mean better software.

Any tablet that runs Android.
OK. So which Android app is a better multitrack recorder than Garageband?

Which one is a better guitar interface than Amplitube?
Quote from thisnameistaken : Versions is also better than any Windows SVN client (I have no choice but to use SVN at work), various open-source projects I use daily work better

Thats why we use GIT
The Java exploit was spotted about a week ago, and Apple has released a patch within a few days to fix it. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT ... le=en_US&locale=en_US

Also, since it's just a Java exploit, couldn't it be applied to Mac, Windows, etc? The only reason, I believe, why people are making such a fuss about it is because it's infecting machines that bigots believe are 'invulnerable'. Wise up, all machines have flaws.
Quote from thisnameistaken :What tablet is available that offers a better range of software than the iPad?

lets postpone this discussion until x86 win8 tables are out shall we?
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :The Java exploit was spotted about a week ago, and Apple has released a patch within a few days to fix it. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT ... le=en_US&locale=en_US

Also, since it's just a Java exploit, couldn't it be applied to Mac, Windows, etc? The only reason, I believe, why people are making such a fuss about it is because it's infecting machines that bigots believe are 'invulnerable'. Wise up, all machines have flaws.

a quick search will throw up a whole host of exploits from all aspects of the machine, temp regulator in the mac book air was even affected at one stage ( if memory serves me right )

remember folks, theirs over 6 billion people in the world, its cool these days to be a geek... someone always wants what you have... little or not.
Quote from Shotglass :lets postpone this discussion until x86 win8 tables are out shall we?

Well I was originally asking for a competing tablet that actually exists, but yes I will concede that in the future a product may appear that provides better functionality than the iPad. The fact that it doesn't exist at the moment sort-of makes my point though doesn't it.

I just don't understand why people who don't buy Apple products are so quick to crap all over them despite apparently knowing nothing about them. They make good, functional devices and certainly in the tablet market there's currently no competition. I don't think Android will ever be able to compete either, because developers hate it.
Quote from Shotglass :lets postpone this discussion until x86 win8 tables are out shall we?

An x86 instruction set for tablets can only mean one thing.. catastrophic power consumption. I estimate 2-3 hours worth of battery life, unless the device is 5cm thick.
Quote :....I don't think Android will ever be able to compete either, because developers hate it.

That's what many press articles are saying, strangely they all started saying it about the same time, often from jurno's that contribute very few articles. Maybe that really is the opinion of the majority of dev's but I'd be sceptical, too many dirty tricks in the name of promotion on the net these days. Same with this vulnerability, it's almost trivial compared to the amount of attacks on windows but news of it is all over the press, a good wake up call for the mochachino drinkers but its blown way out of proportion.
Quote from stan.distortion :That's what many press articles are saying, strangely they all started saying it about the same time, often from jurno's that contribute very few articles. Maybe that really is the opinion of the majority of dev's but I'd be sceptical, too many dirty tricks in the name of promotion on the net these days.

It's true though that there isn't the same quality level in the Android market (or Google Play or whatever they want to call it) despite the free-for-all submission model they use. You'd think with the hoops you have to jump through to get an iOS app approved developers would be preferring Android. But when you're writing programs that push the hardware really hard, I can imagine it's almost unthinkable to do that with a platform like Android, with new devices coming every month with different specifications, before you even consider the fragmentation problems of the OS itself.
Quote from thisnameistaken :It's true though that there isn't the same quality level in the Android market (or Google Play or whatever they want to call it) despite the free-for-all submission model they use. You'd think with the hoops you have to jump through to get an iOS app approved developers would be preferring Android. But when you're writing programs that push the hardware really hard, I can imagine it's almost unthinkable to do that with a platform like Android, with new devices coming every month with different specifications, before you even consider the fragmentation problems of the OS itself.

That's precisely why console games are such big business. One (or a few, if you got for the 360 and ps3) hardware set to develop for = easier development. Android buried itself in shite products built by companies hopping on the tablet bandwagon who are unwilling to spend the money for good hardware and just use crappy chinese OEM mainboards.
So where do Apple get their boards made? And there are no lack of crappy apps for iOS unless fart noise generators are your kind of thing. Games companies seem to be paying a lot more attention to iOS and android than PC's at the moment, android has issues because its not on set hardware but that never stopped the PC industry. Surprised so few games run on mac though, it has the same benefit's.
Quote from thisnameistaken :The fact that it doesn't exist at the moment sort-of makes my point though doesn't it.

to a certain extent yes
although i still dont think that tablets as a whole provide any useful functionality anyway

Quote :I just don't understand why people who don't buy Apple products are so quick to crap all over them despite apparently knowing nothing about them.

i think first of all youre quite mistaken in the experience of many who dont like apple for their products (disliking them for their business behaviour is kind of a given for any sane human being) have had with their products and secondly it is often times a reaction to an even greater degree of daftness from the other side as i shall now demonstrate

Quote from Matrixi :http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/18374726.jpg

An x86 instruction set for tablets can only mean one thing.. catastrophic power consumption. I estimate 2-3 hours worth of battery life, unless the device is 5cm thick.

my what a cute little pile of uninformed rubbish you made there and to top it all off with a meme picture the sure sign of a forum poster whos never had an original thought in his life is quite a nice touch that may have gone unnoticed had it been aimed at a less discerning reader than meself

with that out of the way lets talk facts
1) intel has already shown its own x86 soc for smartphones and despite being a single core part it completely clobbers the current a9 based dual cores found in todays phones while using the same sort of power (granted the consumption figures apparently come from intel but still)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/ ... 60-arrive-for-smartphones
the field may change once a15 based cores hit the market but that remains to be seen
2) the x86 decode unit (ie the bit that actually makes an x86 core architecturally different from any other chip on the market today) is absolutely tiny these days
heres a floor plan from an amd bobcat (their atom competitor essentially so the actual computing part of the core is comparably small to full scale x86 parts)
http://www.xbitlabs.com/images ... obcat-core-floor-plan.jpg
the x86 decoder takes up maybe 3% or so of the die area
and once you factor in that the cores only make up maybe 50% or the die area of a current x86 chip the area becomes even smaller
http://images.bit-tech.net/con ... /sandy-bridge-die-map.jpg
3) as soon as you start building arm cpus that have decent computational power they lose a lot of their edge fairly quickly
the current ipad has a notebook size battery at ~42Wh and with that it will give you a websurfing lifetime of ~9.5 hours
http://www.notebookcheck.net/R ... 12-4G-Tablet.71925.0.html
curiously enough there is a current sandy bridge (which runs circles round any arm core currently available) based ultrabook from samsung with a very similar sized battery at ~45Wh that achieves a web battery life of ~6.5h
http://www.notebookcheck.net/R ... 1DE-Notebook.71720.0.html
so way way way faster machine yet still achieves over 2/3rds of the battery life of the oh so amazingly power saving arm designs
http://www.notebookcheck.net/R ... 1DE-Notebook.71720.0.html
Quote from Shotglass :*Typical shotglass rant*

Yay, a reply from my favourite grumpy german engineer with a broken shift key, brilliant.

I know it's hard, but you should try cheering up mate, lose some of that bitterness and try to experience the clearly unknown world of humor a bit, even if it's a tough challenge.

As for your usual I-know-it-all -post, we will see how this technology will work in consumer devices when, you know, it's actually out and available and not just inside the prototype labs. You can keep those CPU die sheet images and completely irrelevant laptop battery specs until you have some real x86 tablet hardware to compare the iPad to. If a win 8 tablet is better all around than an iPad, I'll gladly switch to one when they are released! Meanwhile, I'm happy with a device that exists today and now.

/me expects another angry reply with atleast five different subquotes picking this post apart and even more theoretical engineer rambling by the morning.
Ad 1) That is a comparison of Intel's brand new design against at least a year old ARM A9 which has some memory bandwidth issues. Am I correct assuming that a SunSpider and BrowserMark tests don't really benefit from multithreading, so having a faster single core CPU with HT is actually more efficient than a slower quad core?

Ad 3) Power consumption at low load is no the best way to compare the energy efficiency of a CPU. Seeing how would an iPad 3 compare to that 530U3B during Full HD video playback would be more interesting.

Nobody disputes that x86 CPUs will stay on top for a while - at least performance wise - but the pace at which ARM is catching up is quite fast. You also have to consider the compilers which probably still generate more efficient x86 that ARM machine code. (And I'm sure Intel has put some serious work into tweaking stuff to make this reference demo design look as awesome as possible)
An interesting A9 vs. N270 benchmark can be found here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.p ... ntu_1204_armfeb&num=6
Quote from Shotglass :to a certain extent yes
although i still dont think that tablets as a whole provide any useful functionality anyway

This is what I was going to reply with, but I like Kev so I didn't want to argue. I have no idea why anyone would use a tablet for recording (other than the hipsters doing it in Apple adverts). As far as I know Amplitube is also an Android app as well anyway...
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo : This is what I was going to reply with, but I like Kev so I didn't want to argue. I have no idea why anyone would use a tablet for recording (other than the hipsters doing it in Apple adverts). As far as I know Amplitube is also an Android app as well anyway...

Amplitube isn't available for Android.

The iPad is apparently pretty useful as a sketchpad for music. I personally don't have one and don't think I'd use one like that, but two guys I'm putting a band together with at the moment commonly demo stuff using Garageband on the iPad, it seems to work pretty well for them.

I was thinking of getting one to use as a controller in my home studio, so I'd still be recording to a computer (probably my Windows PC) but using the iPad for common controls on my DAW, mixing, maybe even some MIDI input I don't know. I think it would be a very flexible tool to have, compared to a dedicated hardware controller/mixer. And smaller/lighter too. But I wouldn't be using it for actual audio processing.
Know you don't rate linux much but the audio subsystems and realtime kernel should make it a seriously good audio production platform. Plenty of tools for this kind of thing but not much with the finish of commercial software.
I like Linux I just think it's a terrible choice of desktop OS, because as you say there's no quality software available for it. Android seems to work pretty well on my phone, and various distros have been excellent on our web servers over the last 12 years or so, it's just not any use on a general-purpose personal computer.
Quote from Matrixi :I know it's hard, but you should try cheering up mate, lose some of that bitterness and try to experience the clearly unknown world of humor a bit, even if it's a tough challenge.

im perfectly fine thank you for your heartfelt concern
now sod off and go take your utter twatyness and try to annoy someone who cares for your style of "discussion"

Quote from MadCatX :Ad 1) That is a comparison of Intel's brand new design against at least a year old ARM A9 which has some memory bandwidth issues.

as i mentioned things might change once a15 drops
that said apparently a15 will be slightly faster than qualcoms krait (3.5 mips/mhz vs 3.3 on krait)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/ ... sm8960-krait-architecture
and krait loosk to be a bit slower in both sunspider and browsermark
http://www.anandtech.com/show/ ... 0-adreno-225-benchmarks/2
so id assume a15 to stack up fairly even to atom

Quote :Am I correct assuming that a SunSpider and BrowserMark tests don't really benefit from multithreading, so having a faster single core CPU with HT is actually more efficient than a slower quad core?

i havent got the faintest idea tbh

Quote :Ad 3) Power consumption at low load is no the best way to compare the energy efficiency of a CPU. Seeing how would an iPad 3 compare to that 530U3B during Full HD video playback would be more interesting.

simulated web usage is a relevant test for what youll be doing most of the time with a tablet or an ultraportable
watching fullhd on either a 10" or a 13" screen is rather pointless

Quote :Nobody disputes that x86 CPUs will stay on top for a while - at least performance wise - but the pace at which ARM is catching up is quite fast.

i think youve got it the wrong way round and intel is catching up in the world of power efficient cpus
the thing is intel has been far ahead in process technology for quite a while now so even if the myth that x86 is oh so power hungry were true whatever deficency it may have would be made up for by producing at a node that is both more advanced and more mature

also lets look at some history:
http://www.extremetech.com/wp- ... 012/01/Intel-Overtake.jpg
guess which market theyre aiming to achieve domination in this decade

Quote :You also have to consider the compilers which probably still generate more efficient x86 that ARM machine code. (And I'm sure Intel has put some serious work into tweaking stuff to make this reference demo design look as awesome as possible)

that may be the case (but then whos fault would that be?)
also arm as an architechture is about as old as x86 is so if they still havent figured out how to write compilers for it i wouldnt hold my breath for them ever doing so

Quote :An interesting A9 vs. N270 benchmark can be found here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.p ... ntu_1204_armfeb&num=6

keep in mind though that that is a current dual core arm vs a ~3 year old single core atom and 2 other cpus that are pentium 3 based an architecture that went out of production 10 years ago

Flashback - The Mac Virus !
(50 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG