(27 posts, started )
#1 - MrSam
four things necessary
Hello all,

I think four things necessary for the next update:

1) filter bad language
2) autorestart
3 ai=off
4) detection cheater (time not normal relative to WR)

Of course we can have it with Insims but I think for the LFS it would interresting
Hello,
Here are my opinions about this:

1) By filtering bad language, you often get into trouble with differences among other languages. Imagine a word "kurva" which is a swearword in Czech. But in Swedish or Indonesian *), it means "a curve", which is not a bad language at all. I know there are some swear words that (most probably) exist only in one language, but that would probably not be enough. It is almost impossible to have a good and effective swear filter for all languages and nations that play LFS.

2) Well, why not. However, InSim is a good tool for those features, so when the server owner wants the auto restart feature to be there, he downloads that specific InSim application and enables it. But as I say, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have it as a server-side option, it would make things a bit easier for hosts without having to download a whole InSim app just for this feature.

3) I'm afraid there is such host option now, I think it's /carsguest=X, where X is the maximum number of cars (real + AI) which can be on track at the same time from one guest.

4) I'm quite for this suggestion. Now LFSWorld stores all PB's, no matter if they are "valid" or not. It is, however, difficult to detect cheating, because of the way how most cheats work. The whole structure of maintaining car physics data would probably have to be completely rebuild to somehow measure if a car is using original values of power, weight etc. Only my guess though.
#3 - MrSam
Quote from Flame CZE :Hello,
Here are my opinions about this:

1) By filtering bad language, you often get into trouble with differences among other languages. Imagine a word "kurva" which is a swearword in Czech. But in Swedish or Indonesian *), it means "a curve", which is not a bad language at all. I know there are some swear words that (most probably) exist only in one language, but that would probably not be enough. It is almost impossible to have a good and effective swear filter for all languages and nations that play LFS.

2) Well, why not. However, InSim is a good tool for those features, so when the server owner wants the auto restart feature to be there, he downloads that specific InSim application and enables it. But as I say, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have it as a server-side option, it would make things a bit easier for hosts without having to download a whole InSim app just for this feature.

3) I'm afraid there is such host option now, I think it's /carsguest=X, where X is the maximum number of cars (real + AI) which can be on track at the same time from one guest.

4) I'm quite for this suggestion. Now LFSWorld stores all PB's, no matter if they are "valid" or not. It is, however, difficult to detect cheating, because of the way how most cheats work. The whole structure of maintaining car physics data would probably have to be completely rebuild to somehow measure if a car is using original values of power, weight etc. Only my guess though.

1) can be but it's better than having a new festival of bad language

2) maybe yes

3)new racers dont know that and i think more easy ai = off

4) but we need, all update are bad for cheater, all have new program.
best is compare to WR
#4 - MrSam
@ Flame CZE

in everything you said is true, I just try to add things, that already exists lol
Quote from MrSam :1) can be but it's better than having a new festival of bad language

It's not "better" if it causes additional problems:

1. Messages that should not get filtered out get filtered out.

2. A lot of people seem to think it's fun to type colorful [literally each letter in different color] messages. A filter like that will start them to change their penis-words into p3ni5es, or fantastic ASCII-art of the type "3===o" I(your length may vary).

There is a very simple way of fixing this problem. Kick/Ban people from the server if they communicate like animals.

Quote :
best is compare to WR

Compare to WR like how? It's not allowed to be faster than the "original" WR? It's not allowed to be close to a WR? Is it really the "best" way?
Obviously the best cheats are such that are "subtle" and believable.
If it only takes care of clear cheats, then it won't do much and may give a false sense of "security" against cheaters? I don't know...
#6 - MrSam
Quote from Faultygearbox :Compare to WR like how? It's not allowed to be faster than the "original" WR? It's not allowed to be close to a WR? Is it really the "best" way?
Obviously the best cheats are such that are "subtle" and believable.
If it only takes care of clear cheats, then it won't do much and may give a false sense of "security" against cheaters? I don't know...

when bl1/fbm is 1:11.. if cheater make 59 sec is simple to know is not normal
#7 - Bean0
Quote from MrSam :
best is compare to WR

Sometimes the WRs can be 'slow' and beatable by the faster guys in normal racing, also you cannot draft in hotlap mode so a lot of oval WRs are slower than peoples PBs.

Quote from MrSam :when bl1/fbm is 1:11.. if cheater make 59 sec is simple to know is not normal

The most efficient cheaters though, will use the cheats to enable them to do 1.11s, where they could only manage slower without it.
Those who make unrealistic times are easy enough to spot.
#8 - MrSam
but for me a game where everyone can say all the bad language, this is not normal.

games without a auto restat it is not normal.

a game with cheat with -15sec WR in all new versions is not normal
#9 - MrSam
many people speak badly in this forum or in servers, a filter would be welcome in this forum and in the new dedi servers

EDIT : many servers speak english no need all word in the wolrd
Quote from MrSam :when bl1/fbm is 1:11.. if cheater make 59 sec is simple to know is not normal

As I already said... If there are idiots using such cheats, they are easily spotted and banned for such obvious things. There are better ways to control cheating than comparing to arbitrary times (what happens when the WRs are reset?).
Those betters ways are quite involved though and has to do with the implementation of the game - to which few of us probably have too little insight on to comment.

The "best" way I can think of is of course that the recording can be replayed accurately on a non-modded LFS, and if the car refuses to stay on track and/or the time doesn't match that of the claimed time, then it's invalid.
But I can't request that, because I don't know how the game currently works (if it's possible to make that change).
Unfortunately, even then, I know a way to get around that (for hotlaps, at least).
Quote from MrSam :many people speak badly in this forum or in servers, a filter would be welcome in this forum and in the new dedi servers

No, filter would not be welcome (for me) because there's issues with that and risks people to take things to the next level which makes things worse.

It would be welcome (for me) if the server-owners didn't allow profanity, however.
But again, it's probably up to them. What they teach children is their responsibility, I guess.
for the cheater, if devs can be something we need fount another thing, admin are not always present, we are humains

Quote from Faultygearbox :No, filter would not be welcome (for me) because there's issues with that and risks people to take things to the next level which makes things worse.

It would be welcome (for me) if the server-owners didn't allow profanity, however.
But again, it's probably up to them. What they teach children is their responsibility, I guess.

i agree, but the admins are not always present.
an online game needs to self manage
Quote from MrSam :Hello all,

1) filter bad language
2) autorestart
3 ai=off

Of course we can have it with Insims but I think for the LFS it would interresting

1.no,why would you add that? if some kids are sensitive to some words they should just turn the chat off
2.yes,that should be a must
3.wait,this game has bots on servers? wow that really sucks,when I go online i ant to play against other people and not bots
4.ok
Most servers (almost all) have AI's disallowed on their servers.
it was just suggestions, all other can be debatable

maybe the auto restart you are in agreement ?
Yep
Quote from TRKAC :1.no,why would you add that? if some kids are sensitive to some words they should just turn the chat off

Its better than your shotty suggestion to get rid of collisions
Son -)
Peace.
Quote from Bmxtwins :Its better than your shotty suggestion to get rid of collisions
Son -)
Peace.

It's off-topic to compare random suggestions between people.
Quote from Faultygearbox :It's off-topic to compare random suggestions between people.

since when has a topic not gone ot... Anyways wouldnt be bad to see some added commands such /ai=no
With the filter of the languages will be a problem... Russia rich vocabulary and every year there are new bad words.
Cheats use speedhack, which in a short period of time and distance you accelerates up to the maximum speed.

sorry for my crazy translation.
Quote from MrSam :Hello all,

1) filter bad language
2) autorestart
3 ai=off

1: I'm very against having a langauge filter, if there is one it must be an option for servers to use if they choose to, forcing it on all racers I think isa bit silly, most of us here are adults and if we like to express something to the full extend or just have a general conversation with a particular group of people then **** shit ass **** is sometimes nessacary.

2: Insim has this feature already assuming you mean after the race is finished. it would be nice though if this was an option for servers not sunning ario.

3: Not really fussed.

4: I agree there needs to be more cheat detection but I'm not sure if laptime relitive to world record is the right way to go about it, I think that a detection system needs to work some other way detecting 3rd party programs or variation in LFS code, not exactly sure how the cheats work, never used one personally.
Cheat detetcion relative to time won't work. Long time ago i lapped faster than wr on so sprint 1. Since other improved their setups, i am no longer fastest/or i am not good enough
But a system based om times would considered me a cheater.

I do notice some people with rubbish setups and even worse gearing manage to make fantastic times. Some case identical setups appear to be gripping and accelerating better and faster. Some will be really good drivers who are simply better than me and in a rare case it will be a cheater.

Only way to detect this, on server-side needs to to constant check on if physics-defined in game are not violated. Guess, it takes too much cpu-power unless lfs will start using at least 6 threads on server-side. Otherwise i see no way to check 20+ cars on the server-side for cheating.
Quote from Bluebird B B :Only way to detect this, on server-side needs to to constant check on if physics-defined in game are not violated. Guess, it takes too much cpu-power unless lfs will start using at least 6 threads on server-side. Otherwise i see no way to check 20+ cars on the server-side for cheating.

If controller data (throttle/brake/clutch/steering) are recorded properly, it should be possible to sanity-check a replay off-line, that is, suspicious drivers could be put under scrutiny at will.
Quote from [audi tt] :with the filter of the languages will be a problem... Russia rich vocabulary and every year there are new bad words.
Cheats use speedhack, which in a short period of time and distance you accelerates up to the maximum speed.

Sorry for my crazy translation.

Ахахахахахахаха Ауди, ну ты жжошь. Руский язык широк и разнообразен, каждый год он пополняется новыми матюгами. Ну да, мы такие.
Quote from Frunze118 :Ахахахахахахаха Ауди, ну ты жжошь. Руский язык широк и разнообразен, каждый год он пополняется новыми матюгами. Ну да, мы такие.

You type in English language, please.

four things necessary
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG