The online racing simulator
Battling with illnesses and being brave
(40 posts, started )
Glucose is a carbohydrate Fructose is worse than glucose though, but none of them are preferred.
Quote from thisnameistaken :We're omnivores, we're designed to eat everything.

The arguments about carbs make sense to a point, certainly refined carbs aren't great in large quantities and a lot of people make them a staple food. I'm still going to eat a sandwich if I want a sandwich though.

TBH my diet and exercise must be pretty well matched because given the amount of booze I drink I should be a massively fat bastard.

We're omnivores in the sense we can consume meat,fruit,veg,seed etc..., but our bodies are not designed to consume the copious amount of shit that fills our shop's shelves. I think doctors put the level at 40% for the percentage of cancers caused by bad diets.

I recall an experiment (by the BBC boooo ) where they put a number of people on a gorilla diet. Basically raw veg and raw fruit. Cholesterol dropped, blood pressure resumed normal levels, insulin levels levelled out to healthy, and their was an average weight loss of 4kg or so.

Purely anecdotal results of a raw foodist diet from those I've met and seen pre and post diet is nothing short of miraculous. Though I don't think I could go that far, I love curry too much
Quote from Intrepid :We're omnivores in the sense we can consume meat,fruit,veg,seed etc..., but our bodies are not designed to consume the copious amount of shit that fills our shop's shelves. I think doctors put the level at 40% for the percentage of cancers caused by bad diets.

I recall an experiment (by the BBC boooo ) where they put a number of people on a gorilla diet. Basically raw veg and raw fruit. Cholesterol dropped, blood pressure resumed normal levels, insulin levels levelled out to healthy, and their was an average weight loss of 4kg or so.

Purely anecdotal results of a raw foodist diet from those I've met and seen pre and post diet is nothing short of miraculous. Though I don't think I could go that far, I love curry too much

Bunch of bs. What the human being has evolved to do for hundreds, thousands and millions of years is to use the nature's resources to its best ability. Green food and all that comes from nature is not good for us. It's just less harmful. Ou body has learned to use it as well it can be used.

The best food we can eat is not what our body is adjusted to but the food that is best adjusted for our body. For human body there is no difference between the bad and unhealthy parts of apples or of junk food.

To me you sound like a member of that green food cult. Everything that comes unaltered from nature is good and everything that does not is bad. Well guess what our body doesn't care where the food comes from. It's what's in it and being from nature does not guarantee anything.
I didn't use them term 'guarantee'. I don't sign up (yet) to the 'green food cult' but having seen the results myself it is quite remarkable what people have achieved.

Anyway, I am not sure what you are actually saying so i can't really give a full reply "The best food we can eat is not what our body is adjusted to but the food that is best adjusted for our body."

I would like to add that there are studies which suggest that nutrients from purely natural foods are far more effective and absorbed into the body better than nutrients from man-made products. Vitamin supplements might not be as affective as just eating the food for example.

So there is a real possibility there is a difference. Being 'from nature' doesn't guarantee anything, but study after study suggests that it helps.

Quote regarding the gorilla diet study

Quote :In another experiment they pitted fresh fruit and vegetables against expensive probiotic yoghurts and found that supporting your gut with prebiotics (fruit and veg) was far more effective at increasing digestive system good bacteria than loading yourself up with probiotics (posh yoghurts)

EAT what you want, it's a free country, but don't disregard the green food cult as nutters, because there's some good information to be had for those wanting to improve their health
Quote from RasmusL :Glucose is a carbohydrate Fructose is worse than glucose though, but none of them are preferred.

fml, i was too sleepy to realize that.

I'd much rather eat complex carbs though as they don't raise the blood sugar as quickly.
Quote from thisnameistaken :So what happens to the ones who die? Do they die bravely? Did they die because they were weak or cowardly or simply shit at battling?

I believe, according to the final cliche, some succumbing is involved.
Quote from thisnameistaken :
I think what I take offense to is not the sentiment - they're just trying to be kind to people in difficult circumstances - but the hyperbolic nature of the language they choose.

I (think I) know what you mean. My own pet peeve is the way in which the expression 'tackling climate change' has became so ingrained in Australian media. 'Tackling' isn't even all that hyperbolic, it's just the way those two things became fused together... it's grating. I can't really put my finger on why though.

Familiarity breeds contempt?
Quote from Electrik Kar :Familiarity breeds contempt?

I think it's more like: repetition is the basis of onanism.
Quote from Electrik Kar :I (think I) know what you mean. My own pet peeve is the way in which the expression 'tackling climate change' has became so ingrained in Australian media. 'Tackling' isn't even all that hyperbolic, it's just the way those two things became fused together... it's grating. I can't really put my finger on why though.

Familiarity breeds contempt?

Yeah that gets 'tackled' over here too. ****ing irritating.

I think what really ****s me off is that there are certain groups of people - people who send text messages to local radio stations and people who go on Jeremy Kyle - whose entire vocabulary is made up of these short phrases that have seeped in through the TV.
Quote from thisnameistaken :No I'm not ill, nor am I brave. Two friends of mine are currently recovering from operations to remove cancers, and we got talking about how nobody simply receives cancer treatment, they are instead said to be 'battling' it. And because they are involved in this constant battle they are also said to be 'brave'.

So what happens to the ones who die? Do they die bravely? Did they die because they were weak or cowardly or simply shit at battling?

I know it's a bit petty to dig into the semantics of common parlance relating to life-threatening illnesses, but I'm sure all this came from some solitary dickhead at a red-top newspaper once, probably in the '80s, and I'm really sick of hearing these stupid phrases now.

it killed my mother, you don't need to be brave or strong or whatever... just accept you're faith when it comes to you and thats life in its essence.

or just say fcuk it and get drunk till you die
#37 - x-fi
Well.
**** CANCER
Quote from thisnameistaken :No I'm not ill, nor am I brave. Two friends of mine are currently recovering from operations to remove cancers, and we got talking about how nobody simply receives cancer treatment, they are instead said to be 'battling' it. And because they are involved in this constant battle they are also said to be 'brave'.

People don't "battle" cancer, they are suffering from it. And if some people use the word "battle", then I suspect it's mainly as a cop-out, because they can not deal with the suffering that is involved. They twist the words so they can ignore the misery. They try to see purpose and meaning where there is none.

(Personal background: Two years ago my wife was diagnosed with colon cancer, with additional tumors in liver and lungs. Since then she has undergone surgery 4 times and has had 6 rounds of chemo. At one point we were told that a tumor couldn't be removed and she'd only have a few months to live; the doctor turned out to be mistaken. At the moment there are no tumors, but the long-term survival stats are pretty bad. Our kids aged 9 and 11 still face the prospect of losing their mother within the next coupe of years.)

Quote :So what happens to the ones who die? Do they die bravely? Did they die because they were weak or cowardly or simply shit at battling?

Good question. And because most of us will eventually succumb to some disease or other, we're all cowards and losers in the end, right?
Quote from wsinda :People don't "battle" cancer, they are suffering from it. And if some people use the word "battle", then I suspect it's mainly as a cop-out, because they can not deal with the suffering that is involved. They twist the words so they can ignore the misery. They try to see purpose and meaning where there is none.

(Personal background: Two years ago my wife was diagnosed with colon cancer, with additional tumors in liver and lungs. Since then she has undergone surgery 4 times and has had 6 rounds of chemo. At one point we were told that a tumor couldn't be removed and she'd only have a few months to live; the doctor turned out to be mistaken. At the moment there are no tumors, but the long-term survival stats are pretty bad. Our kids aged 9 and 11 still face the prospect of losing their mother within the next coupe of years.)

Good question. And because most of us will eventually succumb to some disease or other, we're all cowards and losers in the end, right?

I fully agree. Sterkte.

Battling with illnesses and being brave
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG