The online racing simulator
David Kelly had died.
(18 posts, started )
David Kelly had died.
David Kelly. The guy that played Grandpa Joe in Charlie and the chocolate factory had died. R.I.P .
-
(DeadWolfBones) DELETED by DeadWolfBones
Quote from eddy678 :David Kelly. The guy that played Grandpa Joe in Charlie and the chocolate factory had died. R.I.P .

oh man! R.I.P
havin seen him live before in plays ( despite them not being my cup of tea whatsoever ) he was a nice and sucessful Guy; Sadly not really hollywodd famous.

R.I.P
While it is sad that somebody has died. There was no need for this thread.

Next time it will be "unknown extra out of happy days dies". Where do you draw the line? Did you know him personally?
Quote from anttt69 :While it is sad that somebody has died. There was no need for this thread.

Next time it will be "unknown extra out of happy days dies". Where do you draw the line? Did you know him personally?

Can't we just make a single "someone marginally famous that you might recognize if you were paying attention has died" thread? And use that from now on?
#6 - Mysho
A silly off topic grammar question, so don't flame or blame for that but:

I don't get why you used HAD died. I am always seeing someone HAS died, that is something which happened in the past, and continues into present - he is dead.

While if I get HAD right, that would be like - something happened in the past and also finished in past? Which of these 2 do I get wrong please? Better to ask native speakers than my book to understand it better.
'Has died' is correct.

You would only use had if you were saying something like 'I didn't know that he had died'. The OP's use of the word 'had' is wrong in this situation.
You can't "had died" because it is an action that is final. Once he is dead, he is not likely to change that status, barring a zombie apocalypse. It's "David has died."

For a condition in the past, that does not currently exist, you could say something like "David had an injury, but now he's better."

Quote from JO53PHS :You would only use had if you were saying something like 'I didn't know that he had died'.

Indeed. The action of dying is in the past, whereas the condition of dying is eternal. That's the difference that makes it correct to say "had died" in this instance..
#9 - Mysho
Thanks guys
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :Can't we just make a single "someone marginally famous that you might recognize if you were paying attention has died" thread? And use that from now on?

Yes, good idea. How about, The slightly famous RIP thread. :tombstone (if we must have one at all)
Can't ****ing believe what I'm reading you respectless rats...
Hope you all choke on pepper corns.
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :You can't "had died" because it is an action that is final. Once he is dead, he is not likely to change that status, barring a zombie apocalypse. It's "David has died."

For a condition in the past, that does not currently exist, you could say something like "David had an injury, but now he's better."

You can 'had died' e.g. "RiseAM had died on the eve of 3rd of Julember" etc etc
Jeez I feel sorry for the old chap...I get the impression that no one seems to be quite bothered that he has died...just quit it with the pathetic wars etc and just focus on the fact that someone died.

And +1 to Dennis93
Quote from BlueFlame :You can 'had died' e.g. "RiseAM had died on the eve of 3rd of Julember" etc etc

I believe that any context in which that was correct would require me to come back from the dead, wouldn't it? Otherwise, you'd just say "RiseAM died on the 5th of Maytober"

But you can say "The doctors confirmed that he had died before they arrived on the scene from asphyxiation from laughter."

Quote from Dennis93 :Can't ****ing believe what I'm reading you respectless rats...
Hope you all choke on pepper corns.

I don't see anyone being disrespectful in here? Don't get me wrong, it's sad that someone died, it usually is. But I see no need to be overly sad when I was only barely aware of him in real life. It's not like he had a profound effect on me with his acting, though I'm sure he was a very good actor.

I actually think it would be far more of an insult to suddenly pretend that I cared a whole lot about him, when I was only barely aware of him in real life. Death is just a thing, it happens to everyone at some point.
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :I believe that any context in which that was correct would require me to come back from the dead, wouldn't it? Otherwise, you'd just say "RiseAM died on the 5th of Maytober"

But you can say "The doctors confirmed that he had died before they arrived on the scene from asphyxiation from laughter."

It's contextual, we don't disagree with each other we are just thinking of slightly different contexts. Had died didn't apply to what was said earlier in the thread, but I was just pointing out that 'had died' can be applied in some instances.
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :I believe that any context in which that was correct would require me to come back from the dead, wouldn't it? Otherwise, you'd just say "RiseAM died on the 5th of Maytober"

"RiseAM had died on the 5th of Maytober and we cried over his unexpected departure." Surely it's correct like this?
Quote from hyntty :"RiseAM had died on the 5th of Maytober and we cried over his unexpected departure." Surely it's correct like this?

You can say both ways in this context.

David Kelly had died.
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG