The online racing simulator
Setup changes without repairing damage
Let's say I start my race on SLICK_R1 tyres. In the pit instructions I set repair damage to NO. It works as expected. But if I want to change my tyres to SLICK_R3 during the pit stop, the possibility to repair damage dissapears and there is written "Setup changes requested". I would like to know if there is any possibility to not repair damage on the car if I decide to change type of tyres? So, in one sentence: I would like to change the type of tyres during the pit stop and not repair my car. Is it possible somehow?
#2 - Hahmo
I got confused. But,
As long as you have set Repair to [NO] it will not repair the car even if you do change pressures, camber, downforce or the slick tire from a to b.

This is how it should be, cant guarantee.
Quote from Hahmo :I got confused. But,
As long as you have set Repair to [NO] it will not repair the car even if you do change pressures, camber, downforce or the slick tire from a to b.

This is how it should be, cant guarantee.

I have just tried it and it really repairs your car no matter what you had set before you made the setup changes.
#4 - Bean0
It's always been like that.

Any setup change (including type of tyres) automatically does repairs.
#5 - Hahmo
Ah well, like I said can't guarantee, never tried.

Good to know now anyway
It's a pitty if you can't turn this off. When we try to simulate F1 races we have a rule that you have to change type of tyres during the race (like in real F1). And in many cases you don't want to repair your car. Sometimes there is some damage on the car even if you didn't have any physical contact with objects. In that case you can lose a race just because you have to repair some unimportant damage.
#7 - Mysho
Quote from Mateosh :It's a pitty if you can't turn this off. When we try to simulate F1 races we have a rule that you have to change type of tyres during the race (like in real F1). And in many cases you don't want to repair your car. Sometimes there is some damage on the car even if you didn't have any physical contact with objects. In that case you can lose a race just because you have to repair some unimportant damage.

I am sure that if Scawen notices this thread anyhow, there will be a fix somewhere in (not near) but long future. It's been like this since forever, I sometimes got some races lost because of this, too. Had to change the tyres and it repaired also the damage, badum tsh, race lost. Would be great to have such an option.
#8 - troy
I remember a discussion with scawen about this, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't easily fixable otherwise we would have it already.
Quote from scipy :didn't know if i should post this here, but it's a problem in y19 too so.. I'm gonna bring it up here. During a race, if you pull up the f12 menu and request some setup changes (like more negative camber in the pitstop - because you might have 1 of the suspension arms damaged and the middle layer of the tire is heating up the most) - as soon as you stop it fixes all the damage (even though the damage repair is set to no!). Please fix this as bf1 races are almost impossible with losses of up to 20 seconds on fixing damage (and damage is picked up even on the straights, and obviously on realistic curbs).

So, if the damage repair is set to no and we request some setup changes like pressure or camber, even wings - make it not fix everything and then do the setup adjustments. Please.

Quote from Scawen :i understand the issue but it's not an easy enough change to be done for patch z. Apart from the reported bugs, i have some other urgent and important things to be done and tested before z.

The way the cars set themselves up in lfs at the moment, relies on the car being in perfect condition. This is not logical in a real world sense but it's a limitation of the way it's programmed at the moment. I do expect that can be fixed in the future. I would expect that to be done around the time when wings could break off instead of bending, and lose aero, etc... General damage system improvements.

I think there was another discussion on this topic when Scawen made the change "Wear limit for changing tyres can be set to 100% (never)" last year after scipy input, but cant seem to find it (or I'm imagining stuff...).
I have had issued with the same thing and regard it as a bug. I spoke to Victor about it last time I saw him and he said he'd raise it with Scawen.

That's as much as I know.
From my hazy memory, so please, mind the gap between my wording and what Scawen really wrote:
Scawen explained back then, that to change tyre compound, or do some of setup changes (camber, etc..), he has to recreate the physical model of suspension and he can't apply the same damage it had before to it because it's different after changes to setup (IIRC the tyre compound may change some center positions/diameters and weight mass, so it needs suspension in "clean" state to initialize properly), so basically he can't easily fix this, actually it did sound more like it can't be fixed at all in "proper" way.
Maybe he will figure out some appropriate trade off how to recreate adequate damage to the newly initialized physics after changes, but I wouldn't bet on it.

About F1 races: from my limited demo experience (mostly FBM) I would say it's impossible to gather damage as long as you don't hit anything and don't jump over curbs or drive over holes... which I always do. In longer races where everyone must change tyre type probably everyone gets unwanted repair, so it's sort of fair? Anyway, this is real problem, but not easy to fix with the current LFS physics system.
Quote from Ped7g :About F1 races: from my limited demo experience (mostly FBM) I would say it's impossible to gather damage as long as you don't hit anything and don't jump over curbs or drive over holes...

Then you would say wrong - BF1 is so fast and with the downforce it has,it experiences huge forces,which slightly damage suspension all the time. For example in BF1 race at SO Long I hosted last tuesday - I was happy to finish without broken dampers,because after 25 laps they had ~90% damage just from driving on normal racing line (through the fast turn one dip under bridge). Of course different suspension setup could solve the problem partially in my case,but it's a good example.
Oh, sorry then, never did drive BF1, so I had no idea it's so much more different.
Anyway, I'm afraid there's no easy solution for you and Mateosh, for the moment you have to live with current system and incorporate expected damage+repair time into your race strategy. Sorry for spoiling your expectations.
Why don't you buy an S2 licence so you can try it out yourself? It's not that much and real worthy.
Quote from Mysho :Why don't you buy an S2 licence so you can try it out yourself? It's not that much and real worthy.

Been on the plan since 2003 or so... just like many other things... and will have to wait a bit more, because there's always something more important to buy. (Funnily enough, if I would stop to drive go-karts, I would be able to buy quite decent PC, wheel and LFS within year, but I prefer real life races, so I will have to get to that point by other way, like earning more from programming )

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG