The online racing simulator
Im a little confused here?
(50 posts, started )
Quote :Hello Rooble,

It has come to our attention that you have been banned on LFS servers more than a few times lately.

We must warn you that if you keep being banned, we will issue you with a temporary ban of 30 days, from all LFS online activity.

Regards,

Live for Speed

***This is an automated email***

Ive played like twice in the past 2-3 weeks, ive been working so much i cant find the time to play? Wrong user? I have brothers that often play too, but my computer is password protected, information anyone?

P.S : If this is CORRECT, and you have details of all banning's (logs) then id like them too please! Like i said i have 3 brothers, all of which have access at some point during the day when im away, so id like some times please! Thanks!
Well, you haven't been banned....yet.

This is an automated system, so I would say take care in your next few races. I would also doubly insure that your system IS password protected so that your brothers do not end up getting you a ban.

To be honest, there is nothing the devs can realistically be expected to do to save you from being banned. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure that your LFS account is looked after and that those who use it also act responsibly.

So go kick your brothers asses....!
Rooble is a super clean driver.. Id perhaps PM the Dev's with this one, otherwise change your pc password as thats most likey what it will be.
#4 - ajp71
I'm not convinced this is a genuine e-mail, I wasn't aware of any official banning system for wrecking (let alone automated).

@ Roobie you can check in the online race results of LFS World what time your account has been racing
#5 - Renku
Quote from ajp71 :I'm not convinced this is a genuine e-mail, I wasn't aware of any official banning system for wrecking (let alone automated).

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=163138#post163138

Quote from Rooble :P.S : If this is CORRECT, and you have details of all banning's (logs) then id like them too please! Like i said i have 3 brothers, all of which have access at some point during the day when im away, so id like some times please! Thanks!

Why should the Devs worry about who uses your PC/LFS account when you are not around? That is YOUR problem!
#6 - ajp71
I'm not convinced of the need for this system, it's great to see the Devs taking action but I don't think it is necessary to do this with the Wrecker Barricade, which is discriminate and less likely to be abused.
If he gets banned then he gets banned. Whether it's by the Wrecker Barricade or by Admin bannings. I can see a possibility of admins being a-holes and banning someone just because they don't like them, but as Scawen said in the thread linked above, it would be a wise decision not to return to that same server... find a different server where you get along with everyone.

Rooble, i noticed you in Cops&Robbers server (great fun btw) and you weren't really obeying the rules of the server. I think perhaps you used the cop car when you weren't a cop at one point and you also were ramming the cop cars, perhaps? Sorry if i'm wrong about any of this, there were quite a few people not obeying the rules and i may be getting you confused with others breaking the rules.
Renku, no need for such a stupid comment, im not asking anyone to worry I just wanted some information. And yes i am fully aware that it is my responsibility, im just checking its authenticity, i wasnt aware of any automated banning!

Shinanigans, Yeh well i dont join cops&robber servers, not my cup of tea, but my nick was changed to something POLICE so i assume it was my youngest brother. Thanks for pointing this out too, you've made it very clear as to what happened!

Thanks again all and hello mkin

Ill code some elite uncrackable locking tool for LFS! Im sure that will keep the verim off!

Apologies for any phuck ups or hard feelings my BROTHER may have caused, ill be sure to lock up proper from now on.
#9 - Chaos
Quote from Rooble :Ill code some elite uncrackable locking tool for LFS! Im sure that will keep the verim off!

or you can just delete your gamepassword from the appropiate field in lfs and your bro will not be able to get online (only in the demo)...
rooble, if you dont race on the cops and robbers/city life servers then it was your brother. cause your screen name wa son and acting/driving like a complete ass, and in the long run getting banned from the server.

def password the hell out of everything.
Quote from Chaos :or you can just delete your gamepassword from the appropiate field in lfs and your bro will not be able to get online (only in the demo)...

Doesn't it require an unlock everytime you do that?

A simple solution would be to just rename the LFS exe when you've finished with it and then rename it back when you want to use it.
I've raced Roobie many times good clean driver .

John
Consider using EFS, or even more simply, locking all but 1 user out of the folder with bog standard windows permissions. It does assume you're using XP Professional or 2000, however.
#14 - SamH
Quote from ajp71 :Doesn't it require an unlock everytime you do that?

A simple solution would be to just rename the LFS exe when you've finished with it and then rename it back when you want to use it.

i don't think so... waht you mean is the possibility to lock LFS again, i'm speaking of deleting the gamepassword from the respective field...
Isn't this somewhat like being the registered keeper (named on V5) of a car that is caught speeding by a Gatso (ie no pic of driver) - you get mailed the fine & the 3 points & unless you can get somebody else to take the penalty (ie admit to driving the car at that time) you're stuck with it (even if you weren't driving at that time)?
Quote from ajp71 :Doesn't it require an unlock everytime you do that?

Renaming the exe? That's not so easy and not in any way secure.

Just slightly edit the password in the unlocking screen before exiting LFS, so the password is wrong.

Obviously don't click the "Lock LFS - return to demo" button. Just edit the password so someone else can't go online with your user name. Then change it back when you want to go online later,
Robble, if you say your system is password protected, do you mean ALL user accounts or just your one? please also be sure that the accounts of your brothers, if they have own ones, are not admin-accounts.

And as a last piece of advice, be sure you also password-protect the hidden administrator account every windows xp version has. (Try pressing ctrl-alt-del twice in the windows logon screen and then type "Administrator" and no password into the login box, and try to login).

greetins, stalker
and what about protecting the exe from being executed by anyone...?
or has this been suggested before (have not read all in here)...
Quote from Scawen :Renaming the exe? That's not so easy and not in any way secure.

Just slightly edit the password in the unlocking screen before exiting LFS, so the password is wrong.

Obviously don't click the "Lock LFS - return to demo" button. Just edit the password so someone else can't go online with your user name. Then change it back when you want to go online later,

Interesting, i didn't realise we could do this. My suggestion was to hide
the LFS folder somewhere and change the shortcut of the LFS icon on the
desktop to an app creating a pop-up saying "Keep your dirty paws off my
stuff (enter brother's name)!!". Oh oh, and make it turn on the webcam and
tell him his pic was taken and he will be 'burned" when you get home.
#22 - Jakg
Quote from St4Lk3R :And as a last piece of advice, be sure you also password-protect the hidden administrator account every windows xp version has. (Try pressing ctrl-alt-del twice in the windows logon screen and then type "Administrator" and no password into the login box, and try to login).

does this really work? i would try it now, but i would feel stupid if i did it and it rebooted my pc! also, do you mean login box, or would the welcome screen do?
ctrl-alt-del twice in the screen where you can select your username. you will then see a login box where you have to type in username and password. it really works if you did not protect the administrator account - you will then be logged in as "Administrator".
#24 - Jakg
im gonna try that!
#25 - Jakg
Quote from Jakg :im gonna try that!

didnt work , is there a time delay or something? or just press it twice? i cannot get the box up!

(50 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG