The online racing simulator
#1 - jnr89
is there something that regulates the gasoline standards?
hey guys, Im talking seriously, I was trying to find something but didnt find anything, in my country the gas prices are way more expensive than the average, but that is not the bad thing, the bad thing is the quality...

the premium gas is way below the standard of the worst gas overseas!!

is about 75 octane!! and cost about 6 dollar USA the gallon!

AND THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY, people here are like they dont care, I know the government here has a lot of corruption, but Im looking to an international entity that looks for the standars in the quality of gas...

Engines here, are cursed with this..and the morons act like they dont give a shit
pricing is pretty much the same over here...
but theyre not allowed to go under 95 octane iirc.
dont think theres a worldwide regulation for this.
If it's the US gallon you're talking about, then 6 USD per gal is not that bad. In CZE it's more like 7 USD / gal.
Are you sure the octane number is really 75? That's way below most car manufacturers' recommendations and I doubt they would offer any warranty on the engine if it ran on such fuel. There are two methods of measuring the octane number which yield different numbers, 95 octanes by RON more or less equals to 87 MON, couldn't that be the numer you're reffering to?

There's no international fuel quality standard, it's up to the governments to specify minimum fuel quality and the means of checking it.
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :pricing is pretty much the same over here...
but theyre not allowed to go under 95 octane iirc.
dont think theres a worldwide regulation for this.

depends where you live and what the public drives tbh.

our petrol is good, diesel is great cause most will run on the cheapest shitest tesco value fuel thus keeping the costs down but generally, non premium fuels are " closely monitiered " here and that " all fuels are source checkable " <== thats a lie by shell/maxol... but i didn't tell you that

its all tax here too, we gave all our oil/gas away for free, heavily tax oil in a nanny state fashion so now i pay 1.54 per liter.... ****S!
#5 - ajp71
Fuel standards aren't international, EN228 covers Europe and in the UK and most of Western Europe what you get out of the cheap pump will comply with this and is strictly tested. There is a NATO standard F-67 that is about the closest one gets to a global fuel standard, but it's not available world wide in practice.

The fuel in Barbados was totally hopeless, it kept waxing up and blocking the SUs of a car we rallied there. I imagine most of the Caribbean has equally hopeless fuel that probably fell off a ship somewhere. At the same time we were out there rallying the were having to refuel on a different island because the jet fuel was contaminated.
Price per liter is 1.78 here
1.3EUR here.

But just a year ago it was just 1 EUR. :/
#9 - Mysho
1,470€ here.

By 2050 there won't be gas anyway... It will only raise up dramatically.
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
Quote from hrtburnout :€1,57 For a liter of unleaded 95 octane petrol.

Paid €1,559 here a few hours ago, also for unleaded 95.
€0.64 per liter.
Quote from Rappa Z :€0.64 per liter.

So true but you also don't get what is advertised. The so called high grade 91 octane causes detonation issues in my 944 with a factory tune. The regular 85 octane is so bad that you can't run it anything above 8.5:1 compression without retarding the ignition timing to damn near nothing. Already busted a piston on my motorcycle because of it (single nozzle pumps cause major problems).
I don't know where you're posting from but in the US the quality of gasoline is standardized by the American Society for Testing and Materials. There is no federally mandated minimum octane, but the ASTM ensures that the actual octane rating is the same as it says on the pump (US: 87, 89, 93)
If you are in the US and you suspect that the gasoline you paid for may be lower octane than advertised, the number for the ASTM is printed on a gold sticker on the pump.
Quote from speedway :75 octan? Thats hard to believe.

In fact it is so unbelievable that it made me do a really quick research.
In short: I think you misread the label at the gas stations.

Research as you wish pal, Dominican Republic is my country, and those ****ers mix the "premium"with the "unleaded'" wich, in both cases, are WORST than the lowest octan in the international standars

I dont really care about the price, is the quality, here for example a mitsubishi galant vr4 could give you a fuel economy of...18km per gallon (us), when the car should give about 35 km per gallon
Quote from skstibi :So true but you also don't get what is advertised. The so called high grade 91 octane causes detonation issues in my 944 with a factory tune. The regular 85 octane is so bad that you can't run it anything above 8.5:1 compression without retarding the ignition timing to damn near nothing. Already busted a piston on my motorcycle because of it (single nozzle pumps cause major problems).

thats why everyone wants a TDI, so you can run the fcuker, namely the older models on agrocultural diesel, or bio for next to nothing....
Quote from jnr89 :I dont really care about the price, is the quality, here for example a mitsubishi galant vr4 could give you a fuel economy of...18km per gallon (us), when the car should give about 35 km per gallon

Consumption is another thing and it depends more on a driving style than the quality of fuel. You can get gas of various quality here in CZE too but I have yet to find a gas station where I can get fuel that will double my consumption. Such fuel would more likely cause the engine to blow up.
Quote from theirishnoob :thats why everyone wants a TDI, so you can run the fcuker, namely the older models on agrocultural diesel, or bio for next to nothing....

lol my uncle got arrested for running his 1990 Citroen on 'red' diesel.
Told the cops: "But i use it for agriculture!"

Prices at my local gasstation:
95 - 1,47€
98 - 1,51€
Diesel - 1,37€
I think 94 or 96 is the highest rating we can get here, 81 for the lowest IIRC.

The cheapest stuff here is about $1.3/L right now, I think. It fluctuates so much, though, it's hard to keep tabs on it. Last summer it was about $1/L in May, and by August it was up to about $1.60/L
Meanwhile in Belarus:

Octane 95 petrol: 0.45 EUR per liter
Diesel: 0.5 EUR per liter
<double post>
Regulation/taxation is the whole reason your gas prices are typically three or four times more expensive than they are in the US in the first place, and why it's significantly more expensive in the US than in some other countries. Get rid of the rules and taxes and watch the prices plummet and fuel consumption increase as more people are able to afford to buy cars and drive.

There's no free lunch. Everyone's "free stuff" is paid for somewhere.

To the OP: I doubt anyone's "standards" have anything to do with this. 75 octane gas is probably cheaper to produce. At prices that are artificially inflated by 100%+ tax rates on one product, perhaps that is the only gas that can be supplied in your country at that price and demand level with your country's rules and regulations. As a result you get cheap, low quality gas.

Corruption isn't likely a factor in this. When people create rules like this to reduce oil consumption or whatever their reasons are, this is an unfortunate consequence policy makers frequently fail to foresee. In short, you can be pretty sure those very rules and regulations are what are causing the problem.

If this sort of thing interests you, you might enjoy this book by economist Thomas Sowell: http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Ec ... nse-Economy/dp/0465002609
3.55 $/gal shell v-power. which is bs coz its only 93. 10 years ago i filled my fiat with 98 in hungary..
im sensing a patter here of fuel being cheap in places no one wants to live in

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG