The online racing simulator
Moto GP 2011 Season
(102 posts, started )
Quote from tristancliffe :@Blueflame: Rubber necking?

I imagine he just wants to see how the coverage was handled and what the reaction was like, from the commentators, other riders and the crews in the paddock. I want to take in the full extent of the incident, I would never want to just read a headline and think "oh that's sad" then get on with my day. If someone you care about dies you want to know why, how, what people did to help, and in this case if it was handled respectfully on live TV.
I am so sad.

I'm sad for Marco, who had such a promising career in front of him.
I'm sad for the sport that can do nothing to prevent future accidents like this except parking it.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I imagine he just wants to see how the coverage was handled and what the reaction was like, from the commentators, other riders and the crews in the paddock. I want to take in the full extent of the incident, I would never want to just read a headline and think "oh that's sad" then get on with my day. If someone you care about dies you want to know why, how, what people did to help, and in this case if it was handled respectfully on live TV.

Exactly. Part of the grieving process for me is to watch it, let the emotions pour out if they will and move on. Without watching the live coverage this can't happen.

If it was rubber necking Tristan I'd be happy with the multitude of videos already on youtube. To me watching just the crash alone is less respectful than watching the whole feed throughout.
I missed the broadcast this morning and was all set to watch the repeat when my brother asked me if I'd heard the news. Very sad for his family and friends, the sport, and in a totally selfish way I'm sad that I'll be denied the chance to watch him race a motorcycle again. Not seen the crash but I could guess how it happened even before I read the descriptions.
Damn....

RIP.
Looked to me like the helmet broke apart on impact with Edwards' front tire, though it's hard to tell when looking at a low-res youtube video.

Regardless, one of the worst crashes I've seen. RIP.
RIP Marco
Rest in peace Marco , wherever you are now ,
Loved to see him on and of the track, he did not take himself too serious dispite his talent. His haircut always made me smile. His racing was exciting.

What a guy and what a loss for Moto GP.

Ciao Marco..
It took me a long time to realize that was real...

RIP Marco
-
(speed1230) DELETED by speed1230 : derp. :|
Quote from Highsider9 :...

Thanks for not posting Youtube Links all over the place.

Rest in Peace Marco.

well done!
Oh yes, bravo to me for not even noticing that in the first place
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Looked to me like the helmet broke apart on impact with Edwards' front tire, though it's hard to tell when looking at a low-res youtube video.

Regardless, one of the worst crashes I've seen. RIP.

I have a sinking feeling that the sheer mass of hair on his head won't have lent itself to him having a properly fitted helmet.
Quote from gezmoor :I have a sinking feeling that the sheer mass of hair on his head won't have lent itself to him having a properly fitted helmet.

There is no way he'd be wearing a poorly fitted helmet. It would be tailored to his head and fit far better than off the shelf helmets fit half the people that buy them, regardless of how much hair he has got. Hair squashes down to virtually nothing anyway.
Quote from sinbad :There is no way he'd be wearing a poorly fitted helmet. It would be tailored to his head and fit far better than off the shelf helmets fit

I'm fully aware of that.

Quote :....regardless of how much hair he has got. Hair squashes down to virtually nothing anyway.

The relevant word being "virtually". Fact is any "give" is going to have the potential to make a difference at the extreme. I'm not saying it was the cause. It just seems curious that, (as far as I'm aware), this is the first time a rider has ever lost their helmet in a crash, (and it's not the first time riders heads have been run over), and Marco had more hair than any other rider I've ever seen. Coincidence? maybe. But, I've never been much of a believer in coincidence. My scientifc head believes all effects have a cause.

I am in no way attempting to blame Marco !!! His loss is extremely sad and irrespective of the dangers of the sport, no one deserves such a fate.
I forget who it was or when, but I'm sure I've seen footage of another rider losing his helmet in an accident.
Quote from tristancliffe :I forget who it was or when, but I'm sure I've seen footage of another rider losing his helmet in an accident.

Franco Uncini - 1983 Dutch 500cc Grand Prix

He got hit by Wayne Gardner while trying to get off the track. Uncini survived and recovered to race again and Wayne Gardner obviously went on to become world champion, though he was severely affected by the accident.

That certainly isn't the only time a rider has lost his helmet either.
I'm sure I was thinking of something in the last decade...
I don't think whether his helmet was properly fitted or not particularly mattered in this case, anyway. The impact was so great that there had to be a point of failure somewhere and if the chinstrap hadn't failed and his helmet not came off then his head probably would have.
Quote from gezmoor :I'm fully aware of that.

The relevant word being "virtually". Fact is any "give" is going to have the potential to make a difference at the extreme. I'm not saying it was the cause. It just seems curious that, (as far as I'm aware), this is the first time a rider has ever lost their helmet in a crash, (and it's not the first time riders heads have been run over), and Marco had more hair than any other rider I've ever seen. Coincidence? maybe. But, I've never been much of a believer in coincidence. My scientifc head believes all effects have a cause.

I am in no way attempting to blame Marco !!! His loss is extremely sad and irrespective of the dangers of the sport, no one deserves such a fate.

He had big hair, but still no more than most women and half of it was around his neck whenever he was on a bike. I think you overestimate the volume because of the sideshow bob style :-)
If his helmet strap hadn't broken, which I believe it did, then there would be a real question over why it came off. As it happened the way did, I think it's obvious why it came off, and there's no reason to assume he had a helmet that didn't fit very well any more than there is reason to assume his leathers didn't fit properly.
I read that on Eurosport, it would be less sad than a minute of silence i think.
Would be pretty cool, and also unique as was Simoncelli.

Moto GP 2011 Season
(102 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG