The online racing simulator
US police kill escaped lions, tigers and bears
Quote :The bloody toll -- which included 18 endangered Bengal tigers -- sparked outrage from conservationists and calls for restrictions on the largely unregulated ownership of exotic pets.
Sheriff Matt Lutz defended his shoot-to-kill order, telling reporters that officers were in a race against the oncoming darkness when they arrived at the farm around 5:30 pm (2130 GMT) Tuesday and saw the wild predators running free.
"Public safety was our number one concern," Lutz said. "We are not talking about your normal, everyday house cat or dog."
He praised the bravery of the men who left their squad cars to confront the animals armed only with handguns, but said he wished they never had to face such a terrible choice.
"These killings were senseless. For our guys to have to do this, it was crazy," Lutz said.
"We don't go to the academy and get trained on how to deal with 300 pound Bengal tigers. I'm just glad they had the courage to get out of their cars."
Game wardens, SWAT teams, and experts from the nearby Columbus Zoo were called in to assist with the hunt as night fell and residents were warned to stay in their homes.
But they only had four tranquilizer guns -- which carried drugs that can sometimes take a while to put a large animal to sleep -- and couldn't risk losing the animals in the dark or the woods.
One "very aggressive" tiger was shot dead on Wednesday morning when it went "crazy" and started to run towards nearby woods after it was shot with a tranquilizer, Lutz said.
"We could not have animals running loose in this county. We were not going to have that," he added.
Of the 56 animals set loose, only six were captured alive: a grizzly bear, three leopards and two monkeys.
The other slain animals included two wolves, six black bears, two grizzly bears, nine male lions, eight lionesses, one mountain bear and a baboon.
At least one of the animals was struck by a vehicle on a nearby highway and the mauled body of a monkey was also recovered.
A monkey that might be infected with Herpes was still unaccounted for, but may also have been eaten by one of the lions.
The animals were buried on the 73-acre farm Wednesday.
It is a "tragedy" that the animals died but officials had no other choice, said Jack Hanna, director emeritus of the Columbus Zoo and the host of an animal televisio

poorly dealt with imo
What else are you going to do when you have some idiot messed up in the head release such crazy animals?

There isn't much you can do when such dangerous animals escape.

They saved a few, that's great. Not much else you can ask for at that point.

Honestly it could have been a lot worse than that.

I read somewhere else the the tigers had no problem mauling that guy's body after the fact. Those tigers were out to kill, not escape.

I'm sorry but when you see something as exotic as a bengal tiger.. not in Africa, but on a street.. and it starts charging you? What? Do you really think you'll sit around and try to fiddle with tranquilizers?
**** no. One or two shots, it better be a drop kill. If you tranq it, it will still come at you; it takes a bit more than a few seconds for those to settle in. In the mean time you have a fatass that can charge you faster than a Geo Metro can go on a highway. wtf do you do then? Pray?

I'm sorry but they did what they had to do.
The idiot man that released him.. is a cheater, he took his life first. He's going to hell.
I'd say it's better this way than having lions, tigers and bears kill escaped US police.
Yeah, it wasn't pretty but it had to be done. The blame lies squarely on the guy who collected those animals, and the state of Ohio for allowing him to do it.
It's freakin Ohio, couldn't expect much more from that state.
hmmm their are 6+ billion humans, a few hundred tigers...

they are worth more then us tbh.
Quote from theirishnoob :they are worth more then us tbh.

Doubt you'd feel that way if it were your family/friends who were likely to be mauled/eaten by them.
Quote from theirishnoob :hmmm their are 6+ billion humans, a few hundred tigers...

And we're all unique.

:') OH U
anttt, a random guy on the internet, from the other side of an ocean, says days after the fact that he thinks something was poorly dealt with, with minimal information.

Jack Hanna, one of the most respected animal experts in the world, who was on the scene helping make the decision to shoot the animals, says that unfortunately there was nothing else to do.

hmmm... who am I going to believe? but uhh thanks for your incredibly well informed assessment of the situation.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Doubt you'd feel that way if it were your family/friends who were likely to be mauled/eaten by them.

not really, if you're stupid enough to be killed by a tiger ( chances are lower then sharks for christ/allahs sake ) then **** you, you deserved to die, simple as.

stop defending stupidity. What they done was wrong buts its ok in america.
Quote from theirishnoob :not really, if you're stupid enough to be killed by a tiger ( chances are lower then sharks for christ/allahs sake ) then **** you, you deserved to die, simple as.

So, you are enjoying a walk in the forest and run into an tiger some idiot couldn't take care of. And it's your stupidity that you are not informed enough to know how to react to a f...ing tiger which isn't at all native in the forest you are walking in. Yeah sure, your fault.

Are you really that much full of shit that you don't realize you're talking rubbish?
Quote from theirishnoob :not really, if you're stupid enough to be killed by a tiger ( chances are lower then sharks for christ/allahs sake ) then **** you, you deserved to die, simple as.

:feedtroll
Lions, tigers and bears. Oh my.

Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :anttt, a random guy on the internet, from the other side of an ocean, says days after the fact that he thinks something was poorly dealt with, with minimal information.

Jack Hanna, one of the most respected animal experts in the world, who was on the scene helping make the decision to shoot the animals, says that unfortunately there was nothing else to do.

hmmm... who am I going to believe? but uhh thanks for your incredibly well informed assessment of the situation.

You dont have to believe anyone. Merely my opinion. Then again you dont know what information i may have read.
So then, what else could they have done that you think would have been a better way to deal with the situation?
It's easy to judge and make suggestions when everything is done, but from what I've read it looks like they didn't actually bother to capture the animals alive. It might have been because of their lack of equipment and people trained to deal with runaway wild animals, but whatever the reasons were, you can never fully justify killing of 50 absolutely innocent beings. I'm pretty sure that if it were 56 escaped mass-murderers, nobody would shoot them on sight just because it's the easiest solution.
Quote from ATHome :So, you are enjoying a walk in the forest and run into an tiger some idiot couldn't take care of. And it's your stupidity that you are not informed enough to know how to react to a f...ing tiger which isn't at all native in the forest you are walking in. Yeah sure, your fault.

Are you really that much full of shit that you don't realize you're talking rubbish?

it was not like that, the untrained police panicked rather then contained and this is the price we pay.

you're arse must be jealous of you're mouth, with shite talk like that.
Quote from theirishnoob :it was not like that, the untrained police panicked rather then contained and this is the price we pay.

you're arse must be jealous of you're mouth, with shite talk like that.

Your answer is completely unrelated to what you've stated before. Getting killed by an escaped wild foreign animal you don't know how to react to isn't stupid and you don't deserve to die for that. That's just jibberish coming from your side.

And by the way, have you ever read your own posts after you've posted them? Because your last line would be much better suited for you.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Yeah, it wasn't pretty but it had to be done. The blame lies squarely on the guy who collected those animals, and the state of Ohio for allowing him to do it.

Quote from theirishnoob :hmmm their are 6+ billion humans, a few hundred tigers...

I'm really on the fence with this one. While I'm somewhat opposed to the irrational thinking by the U.S police I believe that this behaviour is completly unjustified without consumption of the meat.
Quote from FPVaaron :consumption of the meat.

That's what these animals had the potential to do - to some unsuspecting human. Someone camping in the countryside could have been caught completely unawares and attacked by a starving lion or a tiger... they would be completely ****ed.
#21 - DeKo
It's an absolute tragedy that these animals weren't cooked in a nice sauce.
Quote from MadCatX :It's easy to judge and make suggestions when everything is done, but from what I've read it looks like they didn't actually bother to capture the animals alive. It might have been because of their lack of equipment and people trained to deal with runaway wild animals, but whatever the reasons were, you can never fully justify killing of 50 absolutely innocent beings. I'm pretty sure that if it were 56 escaped mass-murderers, nobody would shoot them on sight just because it's the easiest solution.

How the F*** do you capture a quarter ton animal that can run as fast as a car at highway speeds, that will eat the living S*** out of anyone around it?

It takes multiple tranq shots to take animals down that size.

Let's compare:

Having 5 men with tranq guns, assuming they are all good shots, and can hit it, and it goes down.... 5 minutes later.........
then what? Pick it up and move on with your life? Good luck.

OR.. have 1 man take a shot to its heart. Done. Clean up.

lol @DeKo that's terrible haha
First off... I live in Muskingum county (Yes, the SAME county that this happened in) and actually I personally know the Sheriff Matt Lutz (not friends, but his daughter is in my grade in school and he is an assistant football coach here).

Properly handled in my opinion. They attempted trquilizers and you have to remember that that does not work immedietly and you have to have the correct dose or you will kill the animal anyways. That, and the darts only travel properly 15 feet so that they do not fully penetrate the animal due to velocity and actually enter the animal's blood stream.

You have animals and there's 2 hours until dark and you're job it to protect your citizens. You're going to do everything that you can to get the situation under control before darkness falls. It's a bad situation, but what had to be done was done.

I missed a day of school for it, so I won't complain about it really

Also, funny fact here.. A lion was hit by a car on I-70... immagine the face of the guy driving that car

Fighting about rather or not it was the right thing to do would be like arguing if World War II should have been fought in by England. Yeah, it was terrable and millions of people died, but in the end, you hardly had a choice.
Quote from Cornys :Fighting about rather or not it was the right thing to do would be like arguing if World War II should have been fought in by England. Yeah, it was terrable and millions of people died, but in the end, you hardly had a choice.

Seemed better than Poland at the time

jk jk jk lol bring on the flame wars

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG