The online racing simulator
Told not to use hacks.
(46 posts, started )
Quote from MZWiZard :First of all, I'm very willing to apologize. The reason I asked him to go to our forum is because I could miss it here. The forum i suggested him is indeed for foreigners, in english.

I will kindly ignore you're insulting me. Since you weren't at the server when this happened, you haven't got the knowlegde to participate that deeply. I were there, and it did in fact look funny to me. I have never seen anybody lag so much without "speedhack". When it also wrote "joos-main" in red, which i remember as being a modified or older executable, I took the decision, based on lag and that message. Furthermore, the outstanding lag was causing other drivers to loose connection.

To Webster: I sincerely apologize if you really didnt do anything wrong, but now you know why i did what i did. If you're right, then you have major problems. Either your machine, internetconnection or both is not operating properly.

No offence taken - how could you know I'm an honest person? It's just kind of funny for me because as I said, I haven't got a clue how to modify...well, I did learn how to download skins...
I've got a feeling it has something to do with the connection - maybe my firewall? I'll make the checks others have suggested too.
Actually, I gave up on LFS for a long time because although I love the sim the AI isn't that much fun either. It's not that I'm a hermit, but honestly I get stressed out enough at work, so I tend to avoid crowds on my time off...just don't need the friction.
What kind of internet connection have you got? and which firewall software are you running?

I normally turn my firewall off before running LFS and online games but it shouldn't make a great deal of difference.
Quote from bobvanvliet :In the menu screen in LFS, look at the bottom and check which version you have. It's gonna say something like "LFS S2 Alpha 0.5X00" wit X00 being a letter and a number or just a letter.

Then go to the downloads page on liveforspeed.net and download the appropriate patch for updating to the last version.

If that doesn't fix it, I've also seen slow connections leading to those OOS messages so then it's probably your bad connection...

OK, thanks - it's Alpha 0.5U.
Quote from ajp71 :What kind of internet connection have you got? and which firewall software are you running?

I normally turn my firewall off before running LFS and online games but it shouldn't make a great deal of difference.

It's Shaw high speed cable and the firewall is Zone Alarm free edition. Is it OK to turn it off for racing?
Quote from Webster :It's Shaw high speed cable and the firewall is Zone Alarm free edition. Is it OK to turn it off for racing?

You're unlikely to come to any great harm not running a firewall tbh but it's best to run one if you can. I can't see Zone Alarm being a problem as I've not heard it causing problems before.
Quote from Webster :the firewall is Zone Alarm free edition. Is it OK to turn it off for racing?

that's what i use and it works fine. just allow LFS access when it asks for it.
ZA is overprotective. it might be that, i use it and when i open a tga file it tells me it has a virus in it. try getting rid of ZA and it might work.
Quote from harlen :ZA is overprotective. it might be that, i use it and when i open a tga file it tells me it has a virus in it. try getting rid of ZA and it might work.

ZoneAlarm is a firewall, not a virus scanner. You're probably referring to something like ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite.
Answer from Victor
I asked Victor, about the JOOS issue and he answered:

"A "JOOS" message means Join Out Of Sync. This is caused by that user's copy of LFS not being the same as the version the host is running,. With 'not the same' I mean that files have been altered - changed. So according to this, one could assume that someone with a JOOS message isn't planning on playing fair. BUT the user might also have tried some mod and forgot to remove the mod again when he's done. Then he'll get the same JOOS message, because he modded his LFS (changed LFS), so his LFS isn't the same anymore as it used to be. He should solve that by removing the mod then.

So JOOS can mean cheat, but it's not 100% certain it's a cheater. It may also be 'forgetting a mod'."
Quote from Humbleridderen :I asked Victor, about the JOOS issue and he answered:

"A "JOOS" message means Join Out Of Sync. This is caused by that user's copy of LFS not being the same as the version the host is running,. With 'not the same' I mean that files have been altered - changed. So according to this, one could assume that someone with a JOOS message isn't planning on playing fair. BUT the user might also have tried some mod and forgot to remove the mod again when he's done. Then he'll get the same JOOS message, because he modded his LFS (changed LFS), so his LFS isn't the same anymore as it used to be. He should solve that by removing the mod then.

So JOOS can mean cheat, but it's not 100% certain it's a cheater. It may also be 'forgetting a mod'."

Interesting - I didn't actually notice the Joos msg, it was MZWiZard that brought my attention to it. Frankly, I'm not smart enough to have made a mod(maybe I could be taught). All I've done is download the patches, some setups, skins, and played with the colors. It doesn't really matter I guess, because I tried just spectating at various races today, and I just keep losing the connection. This has become too much like work, so I think I'll just race the AI.
Noo, remove ur current lfs install, and make a new one, just dont forget to back up the skins,and setting folder If that doesnt work them i dont know
Quote from _rod_ :Noo, remove ur current lfs install, and make a new one, just dont forget to back up the skins,and setting folder If that doesnt work them i dont know

Yeah I think that's what you should do, I suppose there's a possibility you have a corrupt file somewhere which could be causing the error.
Quote from _rod_ :Noo, remove ur current lfs install, and make a new one, just dont forget to back up the skins,and setting folder

Thats exactly what you should do.

Regarding the answer from victor to "humbleridderen", I think that should be pinned somewhere for future reference, so that race admins know for sure whats going on.
Quote from MZWiZard :Thats exactly what you should do.

Regarding the answer from victor to "humbleridderen", I think that should be pinned somewhere for future reference, so that race admins know for sure whats going on.

To Be a race admin you should already know your stuff, regarding Joos, oos errors etc we have all seen em, Maybe now that this has surfaced, Scawen, may throw a list of possible error codes and their meanings your way, so honest ppl don't get accused of cheating when merely uninformed, and made feel they are not welcome in online LFS?

Some admins are real quick to ban/point the finger rather than ask the person to pit and spend a minute asking them a few short questions, if the texting upsets the rest of the racers let them hit the no msg text button?

It could've been discussed on the spot or at least a quick email to set up an offline conversation, we don't ned to drive ppl away from online racing because of paranoia that every error/lag/ car faster than your teams fastest is powered by some crack, cheat unlocking technology
Quote from Webster :Interesting - I didn't actually notice the Joos msg, it was MZWiZard that brought my attention to it. Frankly, I'm not smart enough to have made a mod(maybe I could be taught). All I've done is download the patches, some setups, skins, and played with the colors. It doesn't really matter I guess, because I tried just spectating at various races today, and I just keep losing the connection. This has become too much like work, so I think I'll just race the AI.

Mate if you are not completely confident in removing LFS reinstalling etc etc please feel free to PM me I'll put togther a tutorial video showing you the way to do it, we can't let this episode kill off your fun and cast shadows over the rest of the community. We're a freindly helpful bunch in the main
Ive had the joos message everynow and then with my unmodified lfs version also, i guess it happens when packets arent sent correctly sometime. I had it mainly when my connection played up and had kicked me before and i tryed to join. But this happens really not often.
Guess a new fresh install couldnt harm you, and check your network/firewall settings. Maybe you got an router or wlan? Thats sometimes also causing trouble. Hope you get it sorted and have some fun racing!
Thankyou - I guess I shouln't give up so readily. I did a clean install and put it on my F drive which only has GPL on it. I'll just take my setups from the C drive as I need them. I hope this is OK. My connection is through an old hard-wired SMC router, the main connection being to my wife's computer. I did some spectating yesterday at some sites that had pings at about 60-80 ms;there was little lag, but suddenly beep beep and the connection is gone.
As an aside, do you all actually drive with one hand and type msgs with the other? I find this more impressive than the alien times. Well, I guess that's what happens when you don't learn how to type until you're older. The few times I have raced, people would send me a message and the only way I can respond is to pull over first.
I always type on the straights, when I dont have to steer.

If I cant finish the line, I leave the window to type it open and wait until the next straight.
Still impressive to me.:bowdown: That's never going to happen for me. Maybe voice activation? How about a slogan for old drivers - I'm old and slow, but I can heel toe? lol.
Quote from zeugnimod :I always type on the straights, when I dont have to steer.

If I cant finish the line, I leave the window to type it open and wait until the next straight.

If I don't finish the line, it means I crashed.
I cannot type and drive, but have to pull over.
old ? well, I am 59 and certainly not getting better.
Yes, old is all relative, and notice how a common interest like racing makes the difference irrelevant? There's a guy on another simracing site who claims to be 84. When F1 is on, I feel the same way I did at Christmas when I was eight.

Told not to use hacks.
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG