The online racing simulator
Meh. Just use the DRS on tracks like monaco, hungaroring and valencia and leave tracks like spa, canada, italy and brazil alone.

Of course it may not be that simple and some teams might opt not to have drs at all if it is not available for all races. But spa and canada were pretty bad with the fake overtaking imho.
not forgetting turkey
I don't like DRS. I've always believed that a better driver in a faster car should have to make his own overtaking move rather than having one handed to him by technology. Also, why should the "skill" of being able to block quicker drivers/cars be taken away from midfield drivers if they have the ability to do so and so gain more points for themselves.

I for one don't want to see the "big teams" up front by right. If the midfield teams are able to hold them up and "spoil" their races so what. That's racing.

DRS stinks too much of big team influence over the FIA.

Get rid of tyre changes too. I want to see driver skill, and that means the driver that wins the WDC should be the one that has the ability to make the most of the widest range of car performance.
Quote from gezmoor :

Get rid of tyre changes too. I want to see driver skill, and that means the driver that wins the WDC should be the one that has the ability to make the most of the widest range of car performance.

They should just make tyres that only last 5-8 laps.
Quote from gezmoor :I don't like DRS. I've always believed that a better driver in a faster car should have to make his own overtaking move rather than having one handed to him by technology. Also, why should the "skill" of being able to block quicker drivers/cars be taken away from midfield drivers if they have the ability to do so and so gain more points for themselves.

I for one don't want to see the "big teams" up front by right. If the midfield teams are able to hold them up and "spoil" their races so what. That's racing.

DRS stinks too much of big team influence over the FIA.

Agreed on all points.

Furthermore, those Pirelli tyres make the "racing" impossible to follow below 7th place. Too many different strategies involved, too many pitstops, impossible to keep up with that as a viewer. Especially since the FOM gives near zero air time to whatever isn't Ferrari/McLaren/Mercedes/Ferrari(except for incidents of course).

E: Another interresting topic. The FIA makes a clarification on the famous "one move per straight" rule: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95369

Common sence I suppose, but Schumacher cutting across Hamilton at Monza several times was a bit extreme, while being in a grey area. Overall, good to see a more precise ruleset for this kind of situations.
I never quite understood the tyre change rule, why limit options?

seeing someone on a 1 stopper getting attacked by someone on a 3 stopper is what we want to see in racing.

Its basically action by default
Quote from Mustafur :I never quite understood the tyre change rule, why limit options?

seeing someone on a 1 stopper getting attacked by someone on a 3 stopper is what we want to see in racing.

Its basically action by default

They should allow cars to run 2 sets of each compound tyre on 1 car, but keep the rule that tyre compound must still be changed during the race (e.g
Front : soft - Rear : super-soft > after pit stop > Front super-soft > rear soft.)

That way, you're gonna see a whole new edge to tyre management, with supersofts on the rear and softs on the front you're gonna have understeer until the rears go off then you'll have alot of oversteer.

Also, why don't Pirelli come to a track and bring the super-soft and the hard compounds to a GP weekend because so far the compounds have never been more than 1 increment apart.
Quote from BlueFlame :They should allow cars to run 2 sets of each compound tyre on 1 car, but keep the rule that tyre compound must still be changed during the race (e.g
Front : soft - Rear : super-soft > after pit stop > Front super-soft > rear soft.)

That way, you're gonna see a whole new edge to tyre management, with supersofts on the rear and softs on the front you're gonna have understeer until the rears go off then you'll have alot of oversteer.

Also, why don't Pirelli come to a track and bring the super-soft and the hard compounds to a GP weekend because so far the compounds have never been more than 1 increment apart.

that will create some epic balance issues, on corners.
Quote from Mustafur :that will create some epic balance issues, on corners.

It's a good idea eh?
Maybe, but knowing fia they will ban it because a challenge = a safety issue.
Quote from BlueFlame :It's a good idea eh?

No one would use tires the way you described because of the balance issues. If You'd take away the rule about tire changes and only gave the teams really few tires you might see some cars run with different tires at the same time.
Quote from Juzaa :No one would use tires the way you described because of the balance issues.

They would if it was obligatory...
Quote from BlueFlame :They would if it was obligatory...

So you want to make F1 cars impossible for drivers to adjust to their driving style correctly? How will that do any good apart from diminishing the driver's effect on car pace even more? I'm sorry but I don't see how that's a good idea.
Quote from Juzaa :So you want to make F1 cars impossible for drivers to adjust to their driving style correctly? How will that do any good apart from diminishing the driver's effect on car pace even more? I'm sorry but I don't see how that's a good idea.

Well everyone has said only Vettel adjusted to Pirelli properly, and that everyone else couldn't, or hasn't.

You basically pointed out my idea and falsified it based on properties that already exist in the F1 ruleset. Balance issues are what you want, we LOVE seeing a car moving around. Stick alternate tyres on the cars, and you'll see an improvement. They allow it in bike racing, and they aren't forced to change tyres it still works out fine..
Quote from BlueFlame :Well everyone has said only Vettel adjusted to Pirelli properly, and that everyone else couldn't, or hasn't.

You basically pointed out my idea and falsified it based on properties that already exist in the F1 ruleset. Balance issues are what you want, we LOVE seeing a car moving around. Stick alternate tyres on the cars, and you'll see an improvement. They allow it in bike racing, and they aren't forced to change tyres it still works out fine..

Everyone has said only Vettel adjusted to Pirelli properly? Where? - sources please. What about Button for example? RBR also destroys their tires much more than Mclaren for example so might the tire thing be related to the warmth of the tire in different teams? Lotus had problems with tires underheating in the race but was that Trulli's or Kovalainen's fault?

In MotoGP they are not forced to use different compounds like you suggested. They simply choose to use different compounds because of tire wear and to get the bike handle like they want it to. The reason there are so many different tire strategies in MotoGP are because the tires are close to each others in performance and that the drivers can't afford to pit during the race and are trying to figure out which tire will give the best performance and last throughout the race.
Quote from Juzaa :Everyone has said only Vettel adjusted to Pirelli properly? Where? - sources please. What about Button for example? RBR also destroys their tires much more than Mclaren for example so might the tire thing be related to the warmth of the tire in different teams? Lotus had problems with tires underheating in the race but was that Trulli's or Kovalainen's fault?

In MotoGP they are not forced to use different compounds like you suggested. They simply choose to use different compounds because of tire wear and to get the bike handle like they want it to. The reason there are so many different tire strategies in MotoGP are because the tires are close to each others in performance and that the drivers can't afford to pit during the race and are trying to figure out which tire will give the best performance and last throughout the race.

It would make for more interesting racing if cars ran two different compounds on one car. That is all.
I'm pretty sure there is/was a car racing series that did that, I'll look it up. Knowing my luck it'll be Trans Am or something....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?f ... mbedded&v=i6FoBYD82T0

Video is Vettel V Button Suzuka Pole lap and how Vettel beat Button.
What do people think when watching this video?
Do you think, after watching this video, that the Red Bull was so much superior to the Mclaren? What about the Renault V Mercedes engine?

If you watch this video and go with it, you watch how much better setup the Mclaren is to the Red Bull, but Vettel still takes the pole.

Note, Vettel was able to beat the Mclarens, however, Webber couldnt. What does this say?

Im not asking rhetorical questions to say Its all Vettels work here, but more what do you think..
Quote from aoun :Im not asking rhetorical questions to say Its all Vettels work here, but more what do you think..

I think F1 fans like to use car advantage as a means to discredit talented drivers who they don't like.
Give the seat to Bottas so we can stop listening to down under conspiracy theorys.

: D
Quote from aoun :http://www.youtube.com/watch?f ... mbedded&v=i6FoBYD82T0

Video is Vettel V Button Suzuka Pole lap and how Vettel beat Button.
What do people think when watching this video?
Do you think, after watching this video, that the Red Bull was so much superior to the Mclaren? What about the Renault V Mercedes engine?

If you watch this video and go with it, you watch how much better setup the Mclaren is to the Red Bull, but Vettel still takes the pole.

Note, Vettel was able to beat the Mclarens, however, Webber couldnt. What does this say?

Im not asking rhetorical questions to say Its all Vettels work here, but more what do you think..

it says Webber isn't as good as he should be, however that suits RBR because a solid #2 driver is far better for winning championships.

The McLaren is now at least on par with the RBR, but it's all too little too late.
FTR, incase anyone was assuming, I had no thought or intention of getting at Vettel has it better than Webber or something is going on in the team because Webber isnt getting same times.

I was more pointing towards its Vettel that shines more than the car, hence why he beat the Mclarens and Webber, rather than the car beating the Mclarens or unfair within team for Webber.
Vettel has had the best car all season long. Put Alonso, Button, or Hamilton in it and you would see very similar results. Webber makes the RBR look worse than it is.

Formula One Season 2011
(1339 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG