The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from CdnRacer :No the motec and atlas read surface temps as was explained by dk.

I wasn't indicating that they don't read surface temps, I was indicating that atm it averages surface temps in a similar way that core temps are averaged and so has the same problems in how you read them
Just FYI, there's a work around for the MX5 opaque windows. You only need change it in replay settings so you can still drive in low settings (better FPS) if you wish.

http://members.iracing.com/jfo ... 9375/3736016.page#3736016
Quote from Shawn Nash :We're looking into this to see what's going on. It's likely due to some setting combination that wasn't fully tested at every track. It might be though, that it is simply due to the new working set slider.

It could be related to a new MX5 windscreen bug. If your mx5 comes up with an opaque windshield, change the car detail to high in the replay settings, and restart the session. Something similar could be occuring for some of the trackside objects. Possibly check your object detail, event detai, etc, drop boxes, to see if they effect it (after a restart).

EDIT: this has been fixed with patch Aug 31,2011
-
(pupkin007) DELETED by pupkin007
Interesting comment from the nogripracing forum, where a top split driver says the Beta NTM used to drive realistic on the edge:

Quote from DewCrew88 :Which is why the Beta was great, the car drove realistic on the edge. The edge was very sharp and defined, you knew in your mind when you screwed up exactly why. Whether i was going to snap loose or start to push, I could feel it anticipate it and if it happened correct all in a tangible way.

That's exactly what the Beta felt like, you could feel the grip, could feel a spin coming and knew how to fix it. It was brilliant to get the car balanced nicely and have it neutral, now with the NTM I'm back to drifting the cars around the track.
Yep , the beta tyre model feels better then the NTM.
The NTM is not bad at all but its still missing something. its more close to the OTM then to the beta one (imo)

The only crap thing now i have is when i drive on Suzuka the game is stuttering when someone connect.:irked:
The FPS on Suzuka is now ok (about 80 for me)
only thing i can notice is that the car is at 20 degree angle acceleration is 0% and still turns around 180
Quote from Shotglass :precisely what am i supposed to be seeing thats the least bit fishy there?

A car weighing over 1250kg, and it's supposed to rotate around at less than 20mph with no throttle applied? That's something you see on spreadsheet cars like rFactor, not on what is supposed to be a live tire model (on the Ford GT that is).
Quote from Shotglass :precisely what am i supposed to be seeing thats the least bit fishy there?

Didn't you get the memo? It's cool to bash any iRacing replay right now because they didn't live up to their hype.

Quote from PMD9409 :A car weighing over 1250kg, and it's supposed to rotate around at less than 20mph with no throttle applied? That's something you see on spreadsheet cars like rFactor, not on what is supposed to be a live tire model (on the Ford GT that is).

In your vernacular:

step 1) Acquire heavy, mid engine car with much torque and drive-train mass
step 2) Max throttle clutch drop at high lock
step 3) Abruptly let off the throttle once rears are lit up at full RPM, and the car has begun to rotate on molten rubber already.
step 4) Be surprised at facing the other way.
Step 5) ???
Step 6) Profit

I guess I should upload a video of the FZ50 doing the exact same thing so we can take stabs at it and call it spreadsheet etc.
Quote from PMD9409 :A car weighing over 1250kg, and it's supposed to rotate around at less than 20mph with no throttle applied? That's something you see on spreadsheet cars like rFactor, not on what is supposed to be a live tire model (on the Ford GT that is).

its called inertia
there may be someting a tiny bit wrong in that it rotates maybe a smidgen too much but theres nothing fundamentally wrong with the behaviour
Incredible how many so called simracers can be C class, or B class racing the star mazda. I just completed my first race there in like 10 tries after being hit by people that are far worst than the ones in LFS public servers... And I don't know why iRacing decides to drop my safety rating abruptly when I'm hit from behind
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Didn't you get the memo? It's cool to bash any iRacing replay right now because they didn't live up to their hype.

Well duh, why wouldn't we?

Quote :
In your vernacular:

step 1) Acquire heavy, mid engine car with much torque and drive-train mass
step 2) Max throttle clutch drop at high lock
step 3) Abruptly let off the throttle once rears are lit up at full RPM, and the car has begun to rotate on molten rubber already.
step 4) Be surprised at facing the other way.
Step 5) ???
Step 6) Profit

I guess I should upload a video of the FZ50 doing the exact same thing so we can take stabs at it and call it spreadsheet etc.

Since when is less than 45 degrees of steering input high lock?

"Molten Rubber". Something that doesn't exist in iRacing. You can do a burnout for 5 minutes before anything happens, and that comes with relatively no tire heat in the process.

Be surprised? I'm not because it didn't happen. I tried the FZR (why would I do a road car comparison with a race car???) and guess what? It didn't happen! Car regains grip almost instantly. Nice try though, can't believe I actually got worried and tried the FZR thing. You got me on my toes atleast.

EDIT: Shotglass, they have changed the inertia on cars so many times in iRacing is it remarkable. Sadly a car going under 20mph initially shouldn't have enough inertia to rotate that much.
Quote from PMD9409 :Sadly a car going under 20mph initially shouldn't have enough inertia to rotate that much.

first of all inertia isnt speed dependant and secondly the speed the car is going forwards at has **** all to do with the speeds its rotating at

you might want to pick up a physics textbook and read it before you try to discuss physics
Quote from PMD9409 :Well duh, why wouldn't we?

I know right, we sim-racers are a binary bunch aren't we?

Quote :Since when is less than 45 degrees of steering input high lock?

Quite a lot if his wheel isn't set to 1:1, which according to the thread it isn't...

Quote :"Molten Rubber". Something that doesn't exist in iRacing. You can do a burnout for 5 minutes before anything happens, and that comes with relatively no tire heat in the process.

Yes but we're not talking about that, we're talking about that video that doesn't show the problems in iRacing

Quote :Be surprised? I'm not because it didn't happen. I tried the FZR (why would I do a road car comparison with a race car???) and guess what? It didn't happen! Car regains grip almost instantly. Nice try though, can't believe I actually got worried and tried the FZR thing. You got me on my toes atleast.

I thought the weight of the FZ50 would be closer than with the FZR but I didn't check before I said that. I assume you meant to say FZ50 of course (). I think you're just saying you tried it so I'll have to try it too now.

Quote :EDIT: Shotglass, they have changed the inertia on cars so many times in iRacing is it remarkable. Sadly a car going under 20mph initially shouldn't have enough inertia to rotate that much.

But with that silly logic "dohnuts" should be impossible because the situation in that video is not about the forward speed of the car.
Quote from Shotglass :first of all inertia isnt speed dependant and secondly the speed the car is going forwards at has **** all to do with the speeds its rotating at

you might want to pick up a physics textbook and read it before you try to discuss physics

Got one sitting next to me. Doesn't do any good. Steering input is in the video. That proves it all there. But I guess you and BBT think that 45 degree steering rotation is the same thing as full lock.

Check the replay. I guess that's wrong too.
Attached files
ineX P.Diaz_AU2_FZR_NoUberDrift.spr - 11 KB - 295 views
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :
But with that silly logic "dohnuts" should be impossible because the situation in that video is not about the forward speed of the car.

I was meaning due to the steering input of the wheel, there isn't enough acceleration to the left in order for the car to rotate as much as it did. Better?

That video is a pretty bad example, but it's just showing the no low speed grip iRacing has.
unless im mistaken the wheel in the iracing replay screen only moves from -90 to +90 so 45 is half look which is rather a lot
Quote from PMD9409 :I was meaning due to the steering input of the wheel, there isn't enough acceleration to the left in order for the car to rotate as much as it did. Better?

That video is a pretty bad example, but it's just showing the no low speed grip iRacing has.

That's all I'm saying, the video is not an example at all of the low speed problems. First, if the rear is totally lit up like it was (wheels turning at 60 MPH or so FFS) it wouldn't even take much lock to bring it around. But the user had his wheel set at 360 so 45 rotation is a lot more than 45 in sim unless I misunderstand, which is possible - but even if it really is only 45, which I doubt, it just doesn't matter.

Quote from Shotglass :unless im mistaken the wheel in the iracing replay screen only moves from -90 to +90 so 45 is half look which is rather a lot

I'd have to check but TBH I think it goes further than that - not sure by how much though.

Also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... p;feature=player_embedded

Quote from Shotglass :unless im mistaken the wheel in the iracing replay screen only moves from -90 to +90 so 45 is half look which is rather a lot

Matters what your wheel rotation is (aka mine moves all 900 degrees). They actually fixed that.

Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :That's all I'm saying, the video is not an example at all of the low speed problems. First, if the rear is totally lit up like it was (wheels turning at 60 MPH or so FFS) it wouldn't even take much lock to bring it around. But the user had his wheel set at 360 so 45 rotation is a lot more than 45 in sim unless I misunderstand, which is possible - but even if it really is only 45, which I doubt, it just doesn't matter.

The steering ratio in the Ford GT is another thing wrong with it. Supposedly if you set it in between 450 and 540, it makes the steering less sensitive. At 900 it is ridiculously twitchy. Not sure how that makes sense but whatever. So him having less than 900 means it is actually less sensitive therefore the 45 degree steering input still plays a role.

Take a peek at my LFS replay if you haven't already. Also do you have iR, Ford GT, and Mid Ohio? If so, I have the best two replays to show you.
Quote from PMD9409 :The steering ratio in the Ford GT is another thing wrong with it. Supposedly if you set it in between 450 and 540, it makes the steering less sensitive. At 900 it is ridiculously twitchy. Not sure how that makes sense but whatever. So him having less than 900 means it is actually less sensitive therefore the 45 degree steering input still plays a role.

Thats correct most people are forcing a higher steering ratio (say 12:1) instead of getting comforatble with the real cars steering ratio of 8:1 which imo isn't rediculously twitchy and is in fact an appropriate ratio for the car.

I use 10:1 and sometimes 8:1 on the V8SC as well, I have no idea why people like 12:1 and 14:1 so much

The other thing a see a lot of fast sets are running very hard rear stiffness and ultra soft front stiffness in combination with a tight diff which when put in the hands of someone learning the car or track is just LOL
Quote from Glenn67 :Thats correct most people are forcing a higher steering ratio (say 12:1) instead of getting comforatble with the real cars steering ratio of 8:1 which imo isn't rediculously twitchy and is in fact an appropriate ratio for the car.

I use 10:1 and sometimes 8:1 on the V8SC as well, I have no idea why people like 12:1 and 14:1 so much

Single seaters sure, but those big cars, I just don't feel that is accurate.

Seems like quite a bit of steering involved to me.

I use 16:1 in oval. I'm weird.

Quote :
The other thing a see a lot of fast sets are running very hard rear stiffness and ultra soft front stiffness in combination with a tight diff which when put in the hands of someone learning the car or track is just LOL

The thing is a bus, needs to!

Might aswell upload these GT replays. Small clips. My fraps fails with 3 different sized screens, so no youtube upload.
Attached files
FordGTlolWAT.rar - 334.9 KB - 203 views
FordGTFO.rar - 456 KB - 214 views
Phil, yes I have those items so I could see your replays.

I didn't know that about the iRacing steering setup, I thought it worked like in LFS so that pisses me off - LFS has it the best where it works out to the car's ratio no matter what if you set it properly (though it still needs the 900 degree option...)

Again, I know iR has problems - but that video that Shot picked out did NOT show them. I notice you didn't comment on the video of a real FGT doing the same thing
Quote from PMD9409 :Single seaters sure, but those big cars, I just don't feel that is accurate.

Seems like quite a bit of steering involved to me.

I use 16:1 in oval. I'm weird.

I am not an oval racer at all but I suspect higher ratios are more appropriate on an oval by their nature.

The other thing is that we don't know is that in iRacing they have replicated the steering ratio but have they replicated the power steering characteristics? They did adjust it last patch in iRacing, but it may be too linear where in the real car the power steering might be more progressive? Either way I don't have a dramatic difference in how much I turn the wheel compared to the video, a little yes but not light years away.

Quote from PMD9409 :The thing is a bus, needs to!

I don't disagree but those sets aren't helpful for people just trying the car unless they are very accomplished drivers used to similar handling cars already.

A better balanced set is far easier to handle in the slow stuff and is a better starting point for the average driver. For me the extreme ARB sets do yield potentialy better lap times but I prefer the rear and front roll stiffness to be more balanced (default sets often go to the other extreme) and use other setup peramaters to achieve the results rather than rely on ARB too much. That way I get a car that feels very good and can still do decent lap times, although I'd never endanger any records
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I didn't know that about the iRacing steering setup, I thought it worked like in LFS so that pisses me off

It does work like LFS if you leave it at 900 and calibrate it as instructed by iRacing, the thing is that many are having an issue with the 8:1 steering ratio and are forcing iRacing calibration to recognise higher steering ratios by not following iRacing procedure in calibrating their wheel!
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG