The online racing simulator
Quote from Mustafur :back in the 80s you had cars producing over 1000hp, there is a big difference.

But that was only a few engines, only in qualifying, and they would barely last a qualifying session. In a race they were probably closer to 600hp.
Quote from tristancliffe :In a race they were probably closer to 600hp.

Hmm, plenty of engines ran over various seasons with 750+ in the races. BMW/Megatron, Honda, TAG/Porsche, Renault across 1985/1986/1987. Somewhere between 850-900bhp as a 'safe' race figure wasn't unheard of. Whilst it's true that a lot of people regurgitate the inflated numbers like "they were all making 1500hp in the '80s and now we've only got 750hp", the good engines were making serious power even in the races.
Karun is replacing Trulli for Germany. He's been pounding the laps in at Whilton for a month or two now so it was obvious he was planning for something
About time he got another drive, hopefully this can lead to a contract next season.
Quote from Intrepid :Karun is replacing Trulli for Germany. He's been pounding the laps in at Whilton for a month or two now so it was obvious he was planning for something

Hopefully that doesn't mean Karun will replace Heikki in India
Heikki say he isn't.
Not a huge fan of these changes myself.
Quote from Zdenek CZE :Formula One is dead...:tombstone

you mean like the last 50 times people like you claimed it was and tunred out not to be?
Exactly...

If you're a fan, 15000 rpm is not news and only thing of those four things that actually matters to the viewer is that pitlane rule. I guess no longer violent wheelspins after pitstops.
Quote from deggis :Exactly...

If you're a fan, 15000 rpm is not news and only thing of those four things that actually matters to the viewer is that pitlane rule. I guess no longer violent wheelspins after pitstops.

Who cares about the RPMs? Seriously? Two strokes rev higher, but they ain't spectacular...
Quote from deggis :only on electric power on pitlane

What's the point exactly? Green washing PR, or...?

And yea Shotglass, F1 will not die any time soon, but quite frankly, it barely has anything to do with the good old exciting F1 of the last century nowadays. Though those news don't bring any surprise, they do not bring anything exciting either.
Quote from BlueFlame :Who cares about the RPMs? Seriously? Two strokes rev higher, but they ain't spectacular...

...errrrr they are when a group of 10 karts sweep past you at 21,000rpm wacking out 100+db oh the good ol' days

In regard to F1. It's a engineering sport so anything new and different is a good thing as it challenges the engineers in new and exciting ways.
Quote from 'GreyBull [CHA : And yea Shotglass, F1 will not die any time soon, but quite frankly, it barely has anything to do with the good old exciting F1 of the last century nowadays. Though those news don't bring any surprise, they do not bring anything exciting either.

Road cars are not as exiting and pure anymore either so it's only natural that that reflects in racing aswell. Technology just takes away character but sticking to proven technology would be artificial aswell.

I think running on electrics in the pits is quite sensible and even though it might seem dull, leaving the pitlane and firing the engine up on the line could make up for it.
Quote from deggis :
15,000 rpm confirmed

I like this.

Quote from deggis :only on electric power on pitlane

I don't like this so much.

Quote from deggis :8 speed gearbox

Load of bollocks, as if 7 gears weren't enough.

Quote from deggis :external starters not allowed.

Didn't understand this part. External starters like those screw drivers that are stuck to the back of the car to get the engine going? Or outside help? So seems like we're getting starter motors now. There goes another bit of the good old F1, but you can somehow justify it now that half of the season is composed by Tilkedromes with no elevation changes, so you can't really coast the car on a slope to get the engine going again in case you stall.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :F1 will not die any time soon, but quite frankly, it barely has anything to do with the good old exciting F1 of the last century

i would bet you almost any money that you arent even remotely old enough to have watched the in actual fact pretty much just as dull f1 of before
Quote from Senninha25 :
External starters like those screw drivers that are stuck to the back of the car to get the engine going? Or outside help?

The engine must be started from within the cockpit, ie a starter motor.

Quote from Senninha25 :
so you can't really coast the car on a slope to get the engine going again in case you stall.

No, but you could use KERS (or the electric motor - Im not entirely sure they are the same thing in this case, I haven't read the regulations in detail). I mean if you can use it to drive down the pits, then you could use it to, in effect, bump start the engine.
Quote from Shotglass :i would bet you almost any money that you arent even remotely old enough to have watched the in actual fact pretty much just as dull f1 of before

I'm not, but I do often watch old races and reviews. I am fully aware that the racing in itself used to be dull at times(though at least the reliability issues did keep the things slightly unpredictable until everyone had cross the finish line). But for god sake, racing isn't all about on-track overtaking. Watching exciting cars hotlapping on proper tracks can't be any worse than the DRS-ised Tilke shows we have now.

Oh well, but at least we are getting better and better coverages right nowadays, one of the truly positive things of the modern era.
Quote from Intrepid :...errrrr they are when a group of 10 karts sweep past you at 21,000rpm wacking out 100+db oh the good ol' days

In regard to F1. It's a engineering sport so anything new and different is a good thing as it challenges the engineers in new and exciting ways.

No you are missing the point. A high revving engine doesn't instantaneously give a specticle for racing, OR tech.
You said high revs are not 'spectacular'. I am saying they are. The engineering that goes into making an engine work at those revs without exploding is incredible. It also creates loud, edgy racing.
"The car must be run in electric mode (no ignition and no fuel supply to the engine) at all times when being driven in the pit lane."

May be tricky according to this:

Quote from tristancliffe :(...)They wouldn't be able to turn the engine over (high compressions) or start them hot (usual starting problems of hot engines) with anything than a stupidly large battery. Hell, it's hard enough starting a cold/warm 2 litre engine with normal compression ratios using an extra large (in relative terms) battery on my race car.

If the drivers/teams are silly enough to stall out of reach of an external starter then they deserve to retire.

Stupid racing-underground.com being down
Quote from pasibrzuch :"The car must be run in electric mode (no ignition and no fuel supply to the engine) at all times when being driven in the pit lane."

May be tricky according to this:

Isn't the KERS 'a stupidly large battery' ?
hmm, you got point here

Formula One Season 2011
(1339 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG