The online racing simulator
Please, be more carefull with the devs
(131 posts, closed, started )
After the reading of the "U11 test patch" thread, something is clear; we have a dev who reads our replies (THX) and we have a comunity full of fools that can irritate this dev until no limits....

Be carefull next time!
I agree entirely. People who cant be bothered to read through a half a page of text is ridiculus.
The devs probably have better things to do if they really wanted to, like go down the pub, as a first. They spend alot of time, effort and money trying to make LFS as good as can possibly be programmed.
These improvements in the test patches, may not be to everyones liking, but to many people (myself included) people find the new test patch to bring many improvements.
If one person in a given thread says "How come i get this error" and if you have the same problem, why post it as well? its unlikely an answer will come any quicker.
illepall illepall
Yup, been following the U11 test thread (although haven't applied it myself yet) and thought it was generally taking the piss with the way it turned into a request free-for-all feeding frenzy. Wasn't going to say anything, but since this thread is here...

I'm surprised Scawen's patience lasted as long as it did - I doubt mine would have. Do people forget that it's one guy doing the coding here? How the hell is he supposed to implement and follow-up some compatible updates in a test patch whilst being bombarded with every request imaginable and various complaints and off topic posts?

Appreciate what we have here guys (and some girls), we'll miss it if it goes and then it'll be too late.
#4 - joen
Agreed. Maybe when people hit the reply button in threads like that a dialogue should appear first in big bold green white yellow red purple and pink text saying "read the bloody first post and thread before you reply", because it's just ridiculous.
I just stopped reading the thread at a certain point because the only thing it was doing was getting me annoyed.
It also seems some people are very afraid of change. "ZOMG i was used to how it was, bring it back!" Bunch of spoiled brats imo.
People always talk about how LFS should strive for realism... I remember someone whining about the horns being removed from the formula cars after patch T illepall

edit: I mean come on people, how many games are out there where you have the chance to communicate with the creators this closely? The main reason for releasing this series of test patches was to fix the unlocking problem on Windows Vista. Scawen put some extra stuff in it while he's at it, people make some requests, and some of the stuff people ask for are in a new patch _the next day!_ That's what I call being involved with your userbase, and people should appreciate that.
Scawen works for us all day to improve LFS and some people can't read a few lines before posting...
I recommend this for those who can't understand why Scawen closed the thread:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php
#6 - herki
Another one of the problems which wouldn't exist, if people actually knew what this is

If there's a bug in a TEST patch, people should first read the topic about the patch, if it maybe is already solved and then report the bug in test-patch-thread. If they are to lazy for that, they should simply wait for the finished patch. Same goes for the little improvement suggestions.

I enjoy the test patches, because you as a user can automatically be kind of a beta-tester - and I wouldn't like to see no more test patches just because some people are to lazy to read
Definitely agree.

Hopefully people will take his request to not be a tool more seriously now.

i didnt read the whole thread but when do we get NOS in LFS?

sry... couldnt resist
I am as grateful to Scawen as anyone for doing the test patches, but it is only to be expected that such as thread would get filled up by stupid posters eventually, especially with it getting as long as it did. Getting upset and threatening to stop test patches seems a bit illepall. Maybe the public forum isn't the best way to take requests or distribute test patches, test patches could be limited to a known subset of 'beta testers' who are good and competent enough to read known issues. Or maybe just a clickthrough screen in order to download the test patch that reiterates this is a test patch, and you should read through all known issues before submitting comments or bugs.
Partially agree with you. Having this dev team close contact in the forums has the following effect: "Now that I know a dev is reading the thread I will say everything I want/like", but this is inevitable, we are lots of people here

So, I understand Scawen getting pissed but I encourage him to keep the test patches and community contact, the more people to test the patches, the more/faster bugs will apear.

Maybe those special threads (test feedback) could take some moderator special attention, even deleting offtopics/whines, IMHO.
Unfortunately as the consumer base grows, people from different social backgrounds are going to continue visit these forums, resulting in what happened in the U11 thread.

Whereas in the early days the game / this forum appealed to a niche market consisting of what I would call a more "mature" people, with the inclusion of the BF1 and the rise in popularity and public reviewing, I fear it is going to mean that more and more new people will visit these forums and post away without knowing or thinking what they are doing.

I hope that I'm proven wrong and that the increased popularity will bring more community members that we can respect, but with the state of public servers and the apparent younger, less educated audience spamming the forum with useful un-punctuated drivel, I somehow doubt it.

EDIT: 400 up, well played Chris... *Pats back*
Quote from Chris_Kerry :EDIT: 400 up, well played Chris... *Pats back*

Noob
:)
To Chris ...

Quote :people from different social backgrounds are going to continue visit these forums, resulting in what happened in the U11 thread.

I dunno if it has much to do with social backgrounds , its just some people are lazy I think.

From Eldanor ...

Quote :Maybe those special threads (test feedback) could take some moderator special attention, even deleting offtopics/whines, IMHO.

I like that Idea ^

Calum
Quote from Calum :To Chris ...

I dunno if it has much to do with social backgrounds , its just some people are lazy I think.

From Eldanor ...

It's probably a bit of both.

Quote : Maybe those special threads (test feedback) could take some moderator special attention, even deleting offtopics/whines, IMHO.

I think it's wrong to have to rely on the moderators of this forum to dictate how a thread develops. They have to decide where does a post cross the line, which could become difficult in this type of situation.
:)
True True ,

doesnt need to be the current mods tho , if the LFS community choose one or two long-time , respected racers ( who were willing to do it ).

Also I wouldnt mind a post being ... posted ... as long , if it was agreed that it wasnt needed , it could be cleaned up again quickly , in order to keep the topic like a technical log ... each post having a point to say , or a solution ... nothing else in the topic.

Calum
If LFS has a strong beta test group then test patches should be kept to them. If i dont know about them i cant be disappointed that im missing out and im sure they will find the problems and give the suggestions we give without the needless spam.
Quote from sil3ntwar :If LFS has a strong beta test group then test patches should be kept to them. If i dont know about them i cant be disappointed that im missing out and im sure they will find the problems and give the suggestions we give without the needless spam.

I disagree, you can never have enough testers, whether beta or just us guys. In theory we all are testers anyway, as Live for Speed is still in Alpha remember.
Compatible patches have been (and will be?) tested by the general public, and I'm guessing it's because Scawen can get feedback from a wider range of users with different PC specs, LFS configs etc right after he has changed the code. This can't be done with incompatible patches because of online community dividing into separate groups.

I haven't read this forum as much as I used to, mainly because of so much rubbish is being posted to be honest. And in wrong sections. "Sorry but I need to post this in Main forum because it needs the attention!" I wonder why the other sections exist at all..

I'm not calling out for strict moderating of the forums, just common sense when posting (and when common sense fails, moderators moving threads to correct addresses)..
Quote from Huru-aito :Compatible patches have been (and will be?) tested by the general public, and I'm guessing it's because Scawen can get feedback from a wider range of users with different PC specs, LFS configs etc right after he has changed the code. This can't be done with incompatible patches because of online community dividing into separate groups.

I haven't read this forum as much as I used to, mainly because of so much rubbish is being posted to be honest. And in wrong sections. "Sorry but I need to post this in Main forum because it needs the attention!" I wonder why the other sections exist at all..

I'm not calling out for strict moderating of the forums, just common sense when posting (and when common sense fails, moderators moving threads to correct addresses)..

:iagree:

I personally think that the quality of postings in general has fallen, discounting the regulars. Often I have waded through 4 pages of stuff and wondered why!

I don't think the thread location problem is too bad though, usually somebody mentions it and it's moved.
I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank the devs, in particular Scawen, as I imagine his days are very long - I don't know how he does it, code all day AND frequent the forums... oh wait, I'm doing that now :S *back to work*

Thanks SR, EB, VV!
As we all know LFS is growing at the speed of life. I had a quick readthru of the U10(U11)-post (and this one). My first thought was: "oh my good, is this happening? Couldn't Scawen foresee this!" I then started to imagine; what if we had various forums for people at different levels/ages/membership periods/matureness? What a splendid dictatorial idea! Hmmm...

I think this game and the whole LFS circus clearly reflects the human mankind (Homo Speediens) representing its natural evolution (actions and reactions) as well as the benefits AND drawbacks it unfolds. Of course; "the good old days" were a lot better, when we all could understand and appreciate the work of the devs. It was an exiting time (think 1920).

Now, I have not been a member for more than... eeh?... 9 months (had to go and peek at my stats) but did use the demo since 3 years back. I am to this day still amazed with what the devs have accomplished and agree with so many on their views on how people cries and take things for granted. But this is a free world, where all people, at all ages, from "different social backgrounds" (quote: Chris_Kerry), wheel configs, tyre settings and (car)skin colour. It seems inevitable (Terminator 4?) that theese spam posts appear.

So what to do? It hurts deep down my carburetor reading Scawens closing post, but hey, he needs to be pissed once and a while and he has certainly held his horse(power) back for a long time. If I have not missed anything, I think this is the first time he has acctually expressed discontent. But this "ridiculous" (quote:Scawen) posts can not go on. Our task (EVERYONE!) is to encourage and provide constructive criticism. The link by --NZ--_[HUN] says it all.

Let's just hope we are enough wesserbissers to keep on inspiring Scawen, Eric and Victor to continue their work.

Enough of philosophy, back to Speedosophy.

/Ingolf
Calling for common sense in posting is quite optimistic - after all the internet is THE repository for every idiotic and poorly-considered thought or opinion in the universe

With the large amount of irrelevant crap that gets posted on this forum, I think you'd need to be very patient to come here and sift through it all to find the useful stuff without ripping into the idiots who clutter it all up, so kudos to Scavier :up:
Quote from Hankstar :sift through it all to find the useful stuff without ripping into the idiots who clutter it all up,

Ahem, Tristan. Woohoo! I think he's getting at you my friend...

Or maybe people who post spam like this?
Come now, old chap. I'm on your side, what!
Quote from Hankstar :Come now, old chap. I'm on your side, what!

If gentlemen such as yourself keep posting in this manner, with such beautiful use of the English language, this forum would be a pleasure to read.

This thread is closed

(131 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG