The online racing simulator
New mobile phone time - WHICH ONE?
(110 posts, started )
#51 - Woz
In reality there is not much different between iOS and Droid. Both are great devices.

I would not buy an Apple product but that is because I don't like how they do business and lock their environment etc. They join Sony in my companies to avoid

HTC make great phones even the Wildfire is a good phone. The plus side of Droid for me is developers can write the software they like without fear it will get rejected that that when I plug the phone it it is just like plugging in a thumb drive on your PC.

If you have other Apple stuff the iPhone is the logical choice otherwise you will get far more choice in handset/features with a Droid
Galaxy SII
#53 - PoVo
Quote from dawesdust_12 :It's strange, because the only thing I can think of that Android can do better than iOS is get viruses. From the official Android marketplace nonetheless. Everything else iOS just shitstomps.

I've owned my Android phone for almost a year. I've downloaded hundreds of apps, not only from the store and I haven't got any viruses yet.

You Apple fan boys just can't think of any more excuses can you?
The fact that Viruses can enter the Android marketplace and not get caught is atrocious regardless if you personally have gotten infected or not. That'd be like Microsoft's new Marketplace in Windows 8 offering some derivitive of W32.Blaster or Ubuntu offering rootkits in Synaptic.
#55 - PoVo
Quote from dawesdust_12 :The fact that Viruses can enter the Android marketplace and not get caught is atrocious regardless if you personally have gotten infected or not. That'd be like Microsoft's new Marketplace in Windows 8 offering some derivitive of W32.Blaster or apt-get offering rootkits in Synaptic.

That's because Apple confirm which apps can go on the Store and which apps can't.

Android Market is a more free market and it allows developers to add they apps instantly. The person downloading the app should be responsible for downloading apps that aren't even rated.

You can download programs with viruses on Windows too, maybe not on Mac, but who cares? That's the beauty of being free to do what you want.
Are you seriously trying to defend the fact that (potentially) any application on the Android Marketplace could be a virus or data-harvester.. and that's a good thing that it's free in that way?

****, next thing I know you'll be saying bank robbers should be allowed to rob banks and **** hookers.. becuase being free to do what you want is great!
Quote from PoVo :That's because Apple confirm which apps can go on the Store and which apps can't.

Indeed, you have to pay Apple a fee up front to even be allowed to develop an app for the iphone, and then when you've finished it, Apple decide whether you can actually install it on your phone.

Still, iPhone users are lucky that Apple have insulated them from the evils of Flash. Everybody's been saying what a terrible bit of software that is for years now.

No wait, nobody has.

And if Apple are so committed to keeping shit software off their devices, why do they insist that you have iTunes?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Are you seriously trying to defend the fact that (potentially) any application on the Android Marketplace could be a virus or data-harvester.. and that's a good thing that it's free in that way?

You got it mixed up. We're defending that the Android app market is a free market where anyone can publish anything.
That this comes with the downsides of opening up to malicious software can't be helped. But the good outweighs the bad.

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Additionally, I use Android phones since he beginning, and I have yet to download a malicious app. In fact, I don't know anyone having had a virus on their android phone.
It's actually quite easy to prevent, as it's listed in the market which services the app needs access to. If you think that those permissions don't go along wih what an app does, then don't download.

I can understand though, why the prospect of viruses scares apple users who don't have experience with that kind of thing... IMHO the only advantage apple has nowadays over PCs.

And you still owe us one feature of an iPhone that an Android phone doesn't have. And this time, please to general statements like "it shitstomps all over it".
Quote from ColeusRattus :I can understand though, why the prospect of viruses scares apple users who don't have experience with that kind of thing... IMHO the only advantage apple has nowadays over PCs.

I don't think this is going to last. The Mac has enough market share to become a target now, I think these shiny little fashion accessories are going to start getting butt raped by organised crime any day now.
#60 - Jakg
Quote from ColeusRattus :It's actually quite easy to prevent, as it's listed in the market which services the app needs access to. If you think that those permissions don't go along wih what an app does, then don't download.

Unfortunately that doesn't really work - most apps need far FAR more permissions than they should because of the crap thats bundled with them and sloppy coding.

I would much rather a checkbox for each permission (even if it could break the app)
Okay well I went with an iphone 4.

:|
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Okay well I went with an iphone 4.

:|

Oh my god, didn't you read anything in this thread? nub
I don't think viruses are a real concern. I've only had one on my PC ever. I don't understand how people get so many...

Flash is out of date, and I hate websites that use it. Even before I got an iPhone (and since, whilst using a desktop) I tended to leave flash websites or choose an HTML alternative. Whether it's buggy, a memory hog or whatever doesn't matter to me, I just find it horrible to look at and use.

Homescreen Twitter and Facebook feeds are not nice to use. I much prefer a full screen view of the feed. Granted a widget view is good for quick updates, but not so good for catching up on the last 8 hours of developments whilst I was asleep.

Androids turn-by-turn navigation is quite good considering, so you are right to show off about that feature. But as I've bought the TomTom app, my iphone is at least as good as a dedicated device for a fraction of the price (the cost of the app). Sure, I paid more for turn-by-turn than you, but it's not a deal-breaker for me.

Hands free use (Voice Control) is pretty poor on my girlfriend's Desire S. I tried it for about an hour the other night, and even in a quiet environment it got most things wrong. So I don't think you can brag too much about that. My handsfree kit does more reliable voice control (for calls only admittedly), but as I don't text or email whilst driving it's not a biggie. Choosing which podcast to listen to or album to listen to isn't much of a chore with a finger.

Tethering can be useful. Depends on your lifestyle. I used it once in 2003 to unlock LFS behind a uni firewall. I've never needed it or wanted it since.

I still think the interface overall is better on the iPhone. It's more of an integrated feeling. Yes, we miss out on a few things. But the iPhone has things the androids don't (or, at least, don't do well). The choice is a personal one.

The more I use the HTC the less inclined I am to get one at the moment. I admit this is partly because my girlfriend has configured aspects of it in the stupidest way possible (but it's her phone, so who am I to argue).

By the looks of it, iOS5 will add a lot of the features you use below to make the Android seem better.

Quote from ColeusRattus :Allright, then...

I guess you have a point there. Flash is evil and shouldn't be used at all, and my phone's constantly downloading viruses MADE BY GOOGLE INC. THEMSELVES...

I contemplate what you said while I read news, keep up to date on facebook and twitter and check my calendar all on my phone's homescreen, thanks to widgets. Perhaps I go out on a small journey with my free, preinstalled ready to use turn-by-turn navigation.

And even while driving, i can use all of my phones functions hands free, simply by talking to it. And should I use my laptop while out, I might simply tether my phone's 3g over wifi to it, so I can be online with a real PC should my phone not suffice.

But still, I suppose the iPhone is by far the superior product, that shitstomps all the features it shares, and that are not available on the android market (which has 200.000 apps atm, out of which 57% are free of charge, as opposed to the humungous amount of 300.000 apps on the iPhone appstore, out of which 28% are free...)

Is that fo real? I'mma go buy one tonight.
I'll also add mine is a white one. KKK and all that.
I have nearly 1000 songs on my iPod Touch but I want these on my iPhone as well....I've tried using iPhone Browser to move songs across but these don't show up on the iPhone, space taken shows up under "other" instead of music and yes I am using the right files etc.
Why keep em both? iPhone is just an iPod touch with calling application and some extensions.
Quote from -NightFly- :Why keep em both? iPhone is just an iPod touch with calling application and some extensions.

Stop making sense please, your other post was enough.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I have nearly 1000 songs on my iPod Touch but I want these on my iPhone as well....I've tried using iPhone Browser to move songs across but these don't show up on the iPhone, space taken shows up under "other" instead of music and yes I am using the right files etc.

Just sync them across from your iTunes library?
Yeah I did find that out, but I didn't want things syncing automatically. What I wanted was to basically import the songs from my Ipod touch onto the PC, PC to Itunes library>iPhone4...alot of the music on the ipod isn't on my PC...so wouldn't work too well.

what i'm doing is basically that, i found everything needs to be done from one library or it wipes it every time you do anything...

so i'm doing that atm. :| so much hassle tbh, why don't apple just let you drag n drop like everyone else.
I managed to get an HTC Desire for 15 pounds/month for 2 years with free internet included.
So when I'm on the train I can choose between browing internet on my mobile phone, or I'll just tether it to my laptop.

I even found a virusscanner for my android (pretty obsolete, but you can't be safe enough).
Also, there's lots of apps that show you which apps use permissions you don't want them to use.

My WhatsApp-App can send text-messages and call people, but that's safe.

Also, I don't have to pay a dollar to play angry birds.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :so i'm doing that atm. :| so much hassle tbh, why don't apple just let you drag n drop like everyone else.

because Apple.
Okay I managed to do it, had to basically create a whole new music library.
Faff.

Also a question related to the people in the UK more than anything; when I took the contract out I was told I wasn't allowed to cancel it within 14 days :| Can they enforce this?

Also I am thinking of jailbreaking it because I want my own ringtones and shit could anyone advise if this is a good/bad idea and what tools to use..
#75 - Jakg
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Also a question related to the people in the UK more than anything; when I took the contract out I was told I wasn't allowed to cancel it within 14 days :| Can they enforce this?

You have no right to a cancel a contract if you signed up in store by law, although *some* networks give it to you.

New mobile phone time - WHICH ONE?
(110 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG