The online racing simulator
New Test Patch (not VWS or S3)
(235 posts, closed, started )
what about s4 :i?
Quote from ElonB13 :what about s4 :i?

:uglyhammeillepall:lfs:
Too early to think about. After 5 years only.
Quote from rediske :Congratulations Audi, you successfully pissed off a dev...

What a load of rubbish.

If you look at the closed thread, you will see a lot of spam posts from a lot of users (who should know better).
Quote from [Audi TT] :I'm not angry, but it makes no difference whether she will or not. I am waiting for warmer wheels hotlap in the official patch

The message I have been trying to give to you and others is this :

If you keep filling the test patch thread with spam, it makes me take a longer time to finish the patch.

Is it hard to understand?

Is a programmer faster if he can just fix things, or if he has to read irrelevant posts by many people?

It's not just you, Audi. A funny thing is that some people around here can write but not read.

That cannot understand simple things like "I do not want to hear feature requests" and "No new things will be added".

The test patch thread is for people to report any problems with the test patch. The problem with it being closed is that I can no longer be told if there are any problems.
Quote from Scawen :The message I have been trying to give to you and others is this :

If you keep filling the test patch thread with spam, it makes me take a longer time to finish the patch.

Is a programmer faster if he can just fix things, or if he has to read irrelevant posts by many people?

It's not just you, Audi. A funny thing is that some people around here can write but not read.

That cannot understand simple things like "I do not want to hear feature requests" and "No new things will be added".

The test patch thread is for people to report any problems with the test patch. The problem with it being closed is that I can no longer be told if there are any problems.

There is no point in telling that to anyone, because users will start again to spam in those threads... I stopped posting on LFS forums long time ago, because of spam. For me (being in your point of view), you should ignore all posts, and just keep deleting them. Answering people is the wrong thing you do: if more you're responding to them- they want more info because they see that you're active on forums, and keep responding, and because you are the developer. I know something about that

About the patch: It's working better than expected. But I experienced a problem: game suddenly shut downs without any error. Maybe it's my OS releated? (Windows 7 HP 32BIT). Well, for me version 0.6A is a milestone in LFS history no matter what it contains, no matter what devs are doing. I am happy with the content that is actually in game . As i said in 2010: for me this patch with VWS, and Tire Physics can never go out. I am completely fine with developers decisions.
Quote from Scawen :It's not just you, Audi. A funny thing is that some people around here can write but not read.

I understand more spam from me will not, I promise. Only on the subject. I do not want to because of my patches come out for a while later, I'm sorry.
Quote from Bean0 :What a load of rubbish.

If you look at the closed thread, you will see a lot of spam posts from a lot of users (who should know better).

Congratulations Audi and other users, you successfully pissed off a dev...

fixed! never mind!
If there are known people that are constant spammers, why not just ban them? I hate seeing a few idiots ruin things for the quiet masses.

A ban is not too harsh, if they are too stupid to follow instructions then they have no one to blame but themselves.
Quote from rediske :Congratulations Audi and other users, you successfully pissed off a dev...

fixed! never mind!

Interestingly how on topic your last two posts are .... hmmm
Quote from rediske :...and other users...

I specially liked those guys who'd come occasionally and ask "when will S3 be out?" on patch test thread
Yes I might do that when the test patch is open again. I might just ban every person who makes an off topic post or an unrelated feature request. It's a bit time consuming though. I just wish people would understand the purpose of a test patch when it is explained to them. But that would require them to read, and there are a lot of excited children around.
Scawen: I was going to suggest maybe having Victor look into setting up an official LFS bug tracker (like BugZilla or w/e) for when we have Test Patch cycles.. along with a trusted group of users to "moderate" (for lack of a better word)... combining/closing duplicate bug reports or feature requests, so that you do see the bugs you need, and a discussion is possible, but irrelevant feature requests can be closed and hidden from your mind.
Quote from Scawen :Yes I might do that when the test patch is open again. I might just ban every person who makes an off topic post or an unrelated feature request. It's a bit time consuming though. I just wish people would understand the purpose of a test patch when it is explained to them. But that would require them to read, and there are a lot of excited children around.

Why bother mate? Im sure it would never sink into some people's heads. It would only waste more of your time. I assumed though, moderators were implemented for the reason your time is being wasted. To get rid of spam.

If it was possible, make a form when a user posts, so that they have no choice but to write subject, patch number, track, what location, extra comments. With that in place, you would have a good enough reason to start banning people who abuse the form to post spam. Just have an alert with the rule of abusing the form leads to ban. Could possibly piss people off, but your intelligent customers would understand.
The problem is that "what is relevant" is a very open term. Sometimes things like "ss button spam" comes out of nowhere and is not really on a topic current. But it's still nice to get it "fixed" (although I think it has been like this since that button was created) if it's an "easy" one.

If things like the bug tracker are simple and fast to use (for scawen and the people reporting) it might be worth a try though. Although I fear we would get 100 reports of the same bug just described very differently... So there would be a need to filter and we end up again at the start...

Some more self discipline would be the best way, but I don't see that happen or last longer than one patch.

EDIT:
Quote from Scawen :... and there are a lot of excited children around.

I agree, this game should be less fun
Quote from aoun :If it was possible, make a form when a user posts, so that they have no choice but to write subject, patch number, track, what location, extra comments.

I agree with this idea. I was also thinking there could be a template for reporting bugs in the first post of the test patch thread. It could also be in bold so that it stands out from the spam posts.
Well the feckin thread is closed and etc. Wanted to point out that in GTR's (i was in FZR) at blackwood, i had hit the curb at a angle going up the esses and hit the top of the tires causing me to flip. Don't know if it has been reported or not. It had the similar effect of the ramps pre Z30 as if i landed on a trampoline. Wanted to report it earlier but it kept slipping my mind and i didnt save replay. Will try to reproduce later.
Quote from Furiously-Fast :I agree with this idea. I was also thinking there could be a template for reporting bugs in the first post of the test patch thread. It could also be in bold so that it stands out from the spam posts.

Even better.
Simply make it to where you can "block" certain people from being able to post in the test patch forum.

However, the "collision detection" thread was pretty much on-topic and very useful for what you were looking for Scawen. Maybe make a seperate thread for each test patch for just "bug reports" and only allow those posts that have bug reports in there. Others get the boot.
OT
A bug tracker is a very good idea. Redmine is quite good and extensible too.

Some new features, or expanded features, can make an existing miss-feature/bug even more obvious, so what may appear off topic, is really just a re affirmation of an existing problem highlighted by the extra content. A bug tracker would at least give an indication of whether a particular bug has been marked as being recognised. It would also leave no excuse for multiple questions on the same matter.

This very subject is off topic too, and probably needs moving to its own thread.
There could be a fair few people simply not aware what is expected of them.

With the Test Patch subforum, you get a pop-up with a few basic rules if you enter it from Forum Home. However, if you go directly to a thread from New Posts, for example, then the warning is not displayed.

You could maybe borrow an idea from World of Tanks.
In certain threads, they have a large warning at the top in red stating that the topic is strictly moderated, to use the search function before posting and that any spam/off topic/duplicate questions/requests will result in read only access to the entire forum for 5 days. It seems to work too.
and you can always give a request/suggest to an improvement suggestion, altough I have sometimes done this elsewhere, at least I have try to wake up myself and think what I will do than I will do before thinking lol

Sorry off topic but I just wanted to help (altough very useless imo, but no can do)

/lock
Scawen first of all, congratulations for your work, I've been loving these so refreshing updates of yours

As i said before i've been enjoying playing laytout tracks, a lot, and i've noticed something that might be a little too much of unrealism...that is the speedbumps distance from each other, i've seen servers where they put like 10 of these to "create something" but if you put, instead of 10, 5 speed bumps with, idk .5 meters or .2 idk, of spacing, the effect would be much more realistic, the look would be too, more realistic...win win : )
So if you can create a blank area around the speed bump where nothing must be placed...

Those are my 2 cents...

Cheers for the nice work, hope more updates, soon : )
Quote from Scawen :The message I have been trying to give to you and others is this :

And I keep saying all you need is proper moderation (from _active_ moderators)... Why are you making things so hard on yourself? Is that so hard to understand?

In the meantime, I'm going to sit here and have a beer.
Quote from Scawen :Yes I might do that when the test patch is open again. I might just ban every person who makes an off topic post or an unrelated feature request. It's a bit time consuming though. I just wish people would understand the purpose of a test patch when it is explained to them. But that would require them to read, and there are a lot of excited children around.

Horrendously off topic, but as has been suggested, code it in so the rules pop up when you enter the test patch subforum from any area or off site. Curious, what's the most infraction points you can give? IMO, spamming/off topic in the thread is infraction worthy :P

Tested 0.6A2, it works fine here in XP SP3, is it intentional I didn't need to unlock from 0.6A1?
This thread is closed

New Test Patch (not VWS or S3)
(235 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG