The online racing simulator
RWD Helps to Avoid Spin ?
(37 posts, started )
Just did some search.

In the USA, MSRP for the 4 door WRX manual base model is 25,495 USD. In Canada, it's 32,495 CAD.

Today, 1 CAD = 1.02312 USD. So 32,495 CAD = 33,246 USD, and 33,246 / 25,495 = 1.304.

Canadians are actually paying 30% more than Americans.

My Impr9 STi was 493,000 CNY. At today's rate that equals 76,119 USD / 74,399 CAD. In Canada a ImprX STi costs only 37,136 USD / 37,995 CAD, or 48.8% of what I paid. It should be somewhere near 56% if the historical exchange rate is used. Considering that ImprX is more expensive than the older generation, a fair comparison may get close to 50%. Got very similar results when I compared the price of some other cars like Lan Evo X, 370Z and TTS. Therefore, you Canadians still have a very good reason to feel happy.
So the price here in Germany is about the same as in China
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :As it stands CAD is worth more than USD. So it should be cheaper in Canada than America.

10 years ago if you asked a dealer here why cars were so much cheaper in the states he'd look at you like you like you were some sort of retard and go : "duh it's the low canadian dollar value".

Now that USD=CAD nobody really saw the prices go any closer to what we see south of the border and that includes EVERYTHING not just cars.

At this point I gotta assume most canadians are either too dumb to realize they're getting screwed on a national level or they just like it.
Quote from PhilS13 :10 years ago if you asked a dealer here why cars were so much cheaper in the states he'd look at you like you like you were some sort of retard and go : "duh it's the low canadian dollar value".

wait no, when I was a little kid things were definitely cheaper in Canada. Now they aren't it seems
Quote from PhilS13 :10 years ago if you asked a dealer here why cars were so much cheaper in the states he'd look at you like you like you were some sort of retard and go : "duh it's the low canadian dollar value".

Now that USD=CAD nobody really saw the prices go any closer to what we see south of the border and that includes EVERYTHING not just cars.

At this point I gotta assume most canadians are either too dumb to realize they're getting screwed on a national level or they just like it.

having to pay for a passport, having your car torn apart at the border, and the fuel to drive to and from the states makes up for any possible price breaks you might get by buying stuff over there.

I believe it is all just tax now. Much like the UK. If you can buy stuff tax free it'll be unbelievably cheap, but we pay tax on other taxes.
Quote :having to pay for a passport, having your car torn apart at the border, and the fuel to drive to and from the states makes up for any possible price breaks you might get by buying stuff over there.

lol. that's exactly how you shouldn't see this. Tell me why there should even be such price breaks in the first place. It was normal when our dollar was 0,70 USD. Not anymore. Bigger market over there gives them an edge, less gvmt regulation & taxes also, but enough for 25%-30% price difference? Don't think so. Many many people go buy cars in the US and save A LOT of money.

Quote :I believe it is all just tax now. Much like the UK. If you can buy stuff tax free it'll be unbelievably cheap, but we pay tax on other taxes.

Yah but the difference is not big enough to explain such huge gaps. A 10%-15% even 20% difference is fully explainable but it's not what we usually see. IIRC I read it was a 30% average on common goods.
there is where your healthcare expenses go.
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :not to the government though, that money goes to private companies instead

That makes no sense whatsoever. But I don't want to derail this thread any more
Quote from Hyperactive :That makes no sense whatsoever. But I don't want to derail this thread any more

our health insurance isn't run through the government, it's done through private companies. So the Canadian government has to raise extra money in taxes vs. the US.

but we pay an arm and a leg over Canadians to private companies that rape our bank accounts for a profit. to the private sector.

but yes, we are now very off topic.

RWD Helps to Avoid Spin ?
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG