The online racing simulator
Look the thing is that Rockingham in real life is an average track and in a game it become even more average and run of the mill.Those types of track after a couple of races become boring.Even if we had 4-5 new tracks of that level in a few weeks nobody would bother playing them.Were some of the legendary real life tracks and some of the best fictional ones are a blast to race for months.

The original need for speed had three fictional road segments ,one coastal,one alpine and one through a city.I played through them thousands of times and i still find them amazing.The same with some of the best fictional ones like ridge city in the ridge racer series or some of the fictional gt courses like grand valley,autumm ring etc..Even the lfs tracks like fern bay and south city are a hell of a lot of fun because they are very interesting.

I don't mind if lfs has only fictional new tracks as long as they are interesting and of very high quality.
Maybe you believe nobody would race on tracks similar to Rockingham after a few weeks, I believe different, as you seem to be a NFS fan then I think that says allot about your sim experience and what you expect from a track.
Some of us will spend hours, days or weeks training on the same config to shave off maybe 2 10ths per sector or to practice for a league event.
Remember its not about your perception of the quality of any particular track but more about the actual racing.
I have in the past spent months driving the same tracks like AS2 night after night in the FXO, RB4 and UFR, XFR "what a boring, simple track" you might say, but when you add in a field of 10 or 20 drivers all at very similar levels of competence then it becomes so much more.
Don’t worry about how "more better" things you want are, and buy S2 to try what we have already, but I better warn you its not NeedForSpeed... its way "more better"

SD.
@justasimfan
Rockingham will rock. When Scavier got the chance/license to actually reproduce a real world track using laser technology, that must have been a real interesting challenge. A challenge that will live thru its implementation to LFS. The main point here, is to push LFS one step closer to reality by doing just that. Like a pilot project. Just imagine if everything turns out well and the devs have a methodology to bring in real tracks to an already existing excellent physics engine. That provides a vast potential for further development regarding track content.

Whether or not you think the track is boring just seems irrelevant, especially since you (like SparkyDave said) bring up NFS to compare with(?). Sure you can enjoy NFS as much as you want, but by making such statements, it seems you have not yet grasped the potential and fun that many of us get from LFS.

It is good to see different categories of LFS players, ofcourse, but comments on LFS development needs to have some sort of solid arguments and relate to the core of LFS to be taken seriously. Otherwise they just go up in smoke.
I agree with DrBen here.

According to Rockinghams website. The inner track should have a width of roughly 11 meters. Give me something with 3-5 meters of width please. Make something narrow and technical. Make a track where the GTR class is excluded from the consideration and that focuses on the road cars / open wheelers.
Always the ones I don't like complaining about stuff they have never tried.

I will try out ricklollingham first and then decide weather I like it or not.

EG: before saying sex dolls suck - try it first - u might like it.
I might find out soon enough, thanks again :P
Quote from CodieMorgan :
EG: before saying sex dolls suck - try it first - u might like it.

I will certainly take this into consideration! I just don't overly like the stronger smell of some cheap rubber...

BTW, I kind of had my go at the "sneak preview" with rTractor's Rockingham add-on: I liked it. But then again: It isn't really the kind of track that I'm longing for. There are others out there (fictional or not) that really lighten up my day much more.

I just say "touge" and I think most of you will know where I'm hinting at... ...Thinking Akina downhill, Akagi and such
The rfactor-supplied "Festival of Speed" track is of the kind that really meets my thoughts spot-on. Highly technical, some REAL elevetion changes, real long and heavy bumps, rally-cross hill-climb is just awesome with the street-93'-'95_Supra etc...

You see where this is going?
Quote from SparkyDave :Maybe you believe nobody would race on tracks similar to Rockingham after a few weeks, I believe different, as you seem to be a NFS fan then I think that says allot about your sim experience and what you expect from a track.
Some of us will spend hours, days or weeks training on the same config to shave off maybe 2 10ths per sector or to practice for a league event.
Remember its not about your perception of the quality of any particular track but more about the actual racing.
I have in the past spent months driving the same tracks like AS2 night after night in the FXO, RB4 and UFR, XFR "what a boring, simple track" you might say, but when you add in a field of 10 or 20 drivers all at very similar levels of competence then it becomes so much more.
Don’t worry about how "more better" things you want are, and buy S2 to try what we have already, but I better warn you its not NeedForSpeed... its way "more better"

SD.

For god's shake i am not a nfs fan...."tap wood...heeheheh" -i was talking about the original road and track presents need for speed one of the first real simulation games ever....

I have played lfs for years in my brothers sim rig.I wanted to speak openly (and maybe a bit too loudly) about a couple of things that's why i have this account.I have played them all,the gtr games,netkar,rfactor,grand prix legends etc... even iracing.
By the way what kept me for years in grand prix legends was its amazing tracks...If you remember it was the first sim for many many years that had norchliefe,spa,rouen,le mans,isle of man and the mind bogling 70 mile targa florio.......I really didn't care if i finish last as much as to actually finish as for me that was an accomplishment in its own right.

The gtr games have some really nice tracks,like norchliefe,macau and many of the best known world tracks.But rfactor is the game i still play even on my computer as it has some very very interesting tracks,no matter if they are real or fictional.
Quote from DrBen :I will certainly take this into consideration! I just don't overly like the stronger smell of some cheap rubber...

BTW, I kind of had my go at the "sneak preview" with rTractor's Rockingham add-on: I liked it. But then again: It isn't really the kind of track that I'm longing for. There are others out there (fictional or not) that really lighten up my day much more.

I just say "touge" and I think most of you will know where I'm hinting at... ...Thinking Akina downhill, Akagi and such
The rfactor-supplied "Festival of Speed" track is of the kind that really meets my thoughts spot-on. Highly technical, some REAL elevetion changes, real long and heavy bumps, rally-cross hill-climb is just awesome with the street-93'-'95_Supra etc...

You see where this is going?

That's exactly what i was trying to say with this thread....We need exciting tracks.It doesn't matter if they are real or fictional as long as they are exciting.Akina ,Akagi is a tremendous example of some incredible alpine possible tracks.
Suzuka XD
I do not say that your (demoracer) suggestion of "more better" tracks is wasted. However, the term "exciting" is often used to express a personal/individual view. So, even if you are not excited about Rockingham, there might be 20 000 others that are (oh, 20 001 including me).

I would definitely like to see more options of tracks, but meanwhile I'd be happy with a good quality scan of a real environment instead of some artificial silly hills (sry).
Any track can be exciting in it's own way. Don't see how you think it won't be a fun track to drive. It has the potential to have the most passing opportunities in lfs. Couple that with a decent field with good drivers of course.
Why should they listen to someone who doesn`t even support LFS, buy the game and stop being a free loader,
I believe that word was supposed to be 'excited'. Ingolf.
Quote from JPeace :WHAT? Rockingham is about 5% of the lap an oval, the rest of the track is highly technical infield section..

The "r" was no typo. I meant "roval", not "oval".(= track made of a small portion of oval plus an infield section. Doesn't matter how many % of oval you have)

Roval are really uninterresting IMO because the infield section is always flat, slow and artificial. Think of a Tilkedrome you shrink into a small and flat area. Technical? Yes, most of the time. Fun, exciting? No, nowhere near most traditional tracks.

Quote from CodieMorgan :Always the ones I don't like complaining about stuff they have never tried.

rFactor perhaps?

Sure the LFS version will be laser scanned and racing it on decent physics will be a very different feeling, but isn't the rF version(+ of course real racing BTCC and British F3 footages) enough to judge the layout's quality themselves?
I'm just hoping you all know, The only reason the S3 is taking so long, Is because the tire physics, I'm pretty sure the track has been laser scanned and completed along time ago. ... I don't know why they didn't add it yet though, Kinda silly.

I'm hoping for a "Norschilefe" Soon, Would be amazing to do that in maybe GT2 or something, That would be a true test, You can really see which drivers/cars prevail there.

If norschilefe ever gets implemented they need to not make it just the track, There is tons of things to do near/by a track, I'm pretty sure most tracks have some/many configurations, There cold be a whole new autocross except in a tree type area and bigger. That'd probably give the 1E37 DЯ||=T3ЯS something to do (I have actually had someone speak to me like that..) And a bigger karting area.

However, All they have released is rockingham, We can keep our fingers crossed for better cars/tracks, That just havn't been released, Scawen seems into it now, Maybe hopefully that means shit will happen.
Some parts of Rockingham are dull and flat. Others are quite good - for instance, there is a series of corners like Turn 8 at Turkey, but left handers, and on the apex of the final one you're going over the crest of a hill so it's blind and the car is going light.

That's actually a fabulous and underrated corner in my opinion, although I haven't driven it in my current race car.

The first hairpin off the oval is quite good too - double apex, but because the banking is meeting level ground, it requires a very odd line - either a very early apex or a very very late apex to avoid the worst of the gradient change. Some claim the shorter-but-slower line is best, others prefer the classic out-wide-and-carry-the-speed-down-the-admittedly-short-following-straight approach.

Of the normal infield track (the ISSC circuit or something), Turns 2 and 3 aren't interesting, turn 8 is a fairly normal hairpin, and 9/10/11 is a Mickey Mouse chicane (although the return to the banking means different lines are required out of the chicane, especially in the wet).

And you'll never EVER get it in a simulator, but the feeling of knowing a rather large concrete wall is quite close by through the oval corner (it's hardly a turn as it's flat, so I don't count it in the T1/2/3.../11 numbering) is pretty humbling. Again, especially in the wet.

No, it's not the best track in the UK or the world. But it isn't as dull to drive as you might think.
Quote from TehPaws3D :. ... I don't know why they didn't add it yet though, Kinda silly.

Possibly because the current physics do not cope well with a bumpy laser scanned track, comparing to the very smooth S1/S2 tracks?

Possibly also because they want to get more content done before putting the S3 license on the market?
Well the reason i made this thread is for people to express their desires for new and exciting tracks be it real life or fictional ones...

Yet almost half of the people posting here try to defend...rockingham a run of the mill boring track...

As other people said before i don't mind if some or even all of the new tracks were fictional as long as they were kick ass tracks.I mean even netkar pro that was very very limited is getting now norchliefe and spa and some fictional hill climbs along the one official the new version has.

Rfactor has a ton of amazing content ,and we are still fighting about rockingham and probably a couple more of its likes....
Yes, we know you like other sims' content. So go and play them.

One day, when you've grown up and are a big boy, you might be allowed to drive on a track in real life in some form or another. You clearly haven't yet.
Quote from Ingolf :I do not say that your (demoracer) suggestion of "more better" tracks is wasted. However, the term "exiting" is often used to express a personal/individual view. So, even if you are not exited about Rockingham, there might be 20 000 others that are (oh, 20 001 including me).

I would definately like to see more options of tracks, but meanwhile I'd be happy with a good quality scan of a real environment instead of some artificial silly hills (sry).

Exciting. Exiting is a whole other word - 'he exited the corner sideways' vs 'microbiology review mags excite me'
I stand corrected. Of course I mean "exciting". Not "exiting".
Quote from tristancliffe :Yes, we know you like other sims' content. So go and play them.

One day, when you've grown up and are a big boy, you might be allowed to drive on a track in real life in some form or another. You clearly haven't yet.

Actually i drive on weekend time attack track days.I have a s14a Aero NA....its not very powerfull but still is a lot of fun thrashing around.
Then how can you possibly enjoy rFactor? It doesn't add up.

Please have more better tracks than rockingham
(67 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG