The online racing simulator
Portal 2
(108 posts, started )
Quote from Nadeo4441 :Why the hell would they use cryengine for HL2EP3? There are rumors going around about Source Engine 2 being announced sometime soon...

Was saying in a review of crytek when they show the cryengine 2
Quote from Inouva :Is the same engine that runs HL2:Ep 2

no, ep 2 is 2007 and even left 4 dead 2 has upgraded engine since half life and its 2009, so portal 2 uses the most advanced source engine so far.
Quote from majod :no, ep 2 is 2007 and even left 4 dead 2 has upgraded engine since half life and its 2009, so portal 2 uses the most advanced source engine so far.

Is the "same" engine just optimized there is no new features or such other things...

Is like the cryengine 1 and 2, they are the same just the cryengine 2 is fully optimized and ask less resources that the cryengine 1
#79 - Vain
Interactive Portal Turret Plushie

I require one. Now.

Vain
(P.S.: Did anyone ever notice how the phrase 'interactive' is regularly being used to describe completely one-directional interfaces these days?)
I want one badly!
No, it's not the same engine.

As of now, there are a few different "forks" (if you will) of the Source engine.

There's the original HL2 engine (No games use this anymore.. they were all upgraded to the "Orange Box" engine).

Ep1 didn't bring an engine update, just a few tech additions that were merged back into the HL2 engine

Then there was the Orange Box Engine. TF2, Portal, Ep2 (and now Ep1, HL2, CS:S, DOD:S are all running Orange Box). This is the first OSX compatible engine as well.

L4D then took off and made its own additions (AI Director, Cinematic Effects). This is the Orange Box engine with a bunch of modifications.. enough that it is its own, seperate "L4D" engine. L4D2 was more extensions on the same.

Portal 2 uses the Orange Box engine, with more modifications. However Source is modular, so different bits can be mixed and matched with ease.

In short: Currently there are 2 forks of the Source engine (after a lot of merging).. There is the Orange Box engine (with HDR, Blur, Achievements and such) and the L4D engine (AI Director is the major identifying feature to it).
shameless self quoting comming up in 3... 2... 1

Quote from Shotglass :if protal 2 is merely half as good

as it turn out it is merely half as good at least from where im standing atm (iirc somehwere at the beginning of chapter 4)

for me the single biggest problem with portal 2 is how forced the humour feels
in part 1 it flowed very naturally largely because it was unexpected and fresh while portal 2 comes off as trying desperately to be funny and completely failing at it... kind of like dustin... or americans
Quote from Shotglass :or americans

:rolleyes:

I thought it was quite good. Wheatly's voice actor, Stephen Merchant, did a great job!
Well the bitter Nazi sympathizer strikes again.
Quote from Dygear :I thought it was quite good. Wheatly's voice actor, Stephen Merchant, did a great job!

before portal 2 the only time i came across him was as one of the 2 annoying twats on "an idiot abroad" so i might be a little biased there

Quote from dawesdust_12 :Well the bitter Nazi sympathizer strikes again.

thanks for neatly proving my point
Quote from Shotglass :before portal 2 the only time i came across him was as one of the 2 annoying twats on "an idiot abroad" so i might be a little biased there

Agreed, my opinion of him is heavily skewed, due to Ricky Gervais being a massive, massive c**t on everything he's ever done since The Office. And even then he was playing a massive, massive c**t.
The Mrs bought it for me yesterday. AWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOME

"According to these test results, you're a horrible person. That's what it actually says - 'A Horrible Person'. We don't even test for that."

They should have had some birds flying around in the rooms, maybe have them flutter away when you open doors. It would have added to the 'abandoned' atmosphere.
Quote from Shotglass :for me the single biggest problem with portal 2 is how forced the humour feels
in part 1 it flowed very naturally largely because it was unexpected and fresh while portal 2 comes off as trying desperately to be funny and completely failing at it... kind of like dustin... or americans

I think Stephen Merchant's character doesn't really work. He's not believable as a robot, and he's basically just playing himself. His delivery is still very funny in places because it's so inappropriate, and his character is likeable enough, but I think the overall experience of the game isn't as cohesive as the original and his character is one of the biggest reasons for that.

I did still enjoy the game a lot and I was a bit sad when I finished it, but you're right it lacks the direction of the original.
Steve merchants character was just too annoying, i just wanted his dialog to end as fast as possible.
Prob one of the main reasons i just rushed through it in 3 hours
#91 - DeKo
Yeah, I want to see a speed run through the whole game now. Finishing off Portal 2 in less then 60 minutes flat would be ****ing insane.
i have a copy, and it crashes at random parts through it...i havent been able to get far enough to do anything more then move....i got to my room moving at one point...any fixes?
such a ****ing beast of a game. Prolly gotta be my favorite game to date Obviously would be better if it was longer
Quote from logitekg25 :i have a copy, and it crashes at random parts through it...i havent been able to get far enough to do anything more then move....i got to my room moving at one point...any fixes?

Get a better computer.
#99 - xzu
Quote from logitekg25 :i have a copy, and it crashes at random parts through it...i havent been able to get far enough to do anything more then move....i got to my room moving at one point...any fixes?

I had the same - really annoyed friends while doing the co-op - turned out mine didn't like the overclocking of my CPU - put it to standard and all was good.
Other than that, driver updates would be the first port of call
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Seems accurate to me, too.

Love this game.

im currently in the spheres and getting pretty annoyed by the "guess where we put a portalable slab of wall" game between chambers

and them attempting to make every single line anyone says funny is rather tiring as well

Portal 2
(108 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG