The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :I think it's one step harder because when multiple scripts are in memory at once they will need allocation, instead of just using a static script buffer.

´

well yes ... but its not like lfs is hard on memory at so a few more kb shouldnt hurt
and the guys who will use these scripts are most likely not the ones who are running low on memory

on second thought maybe you dont need to keep them in memory
shouldnt the function that called another script be on hold until that script call closes with a positive exit status which leads back to the original script with all linecounters still at the right value ?

Quote :And it needs a check to avoid self calling.

with that you would need an ever growing list of scripts that called each other to make sure you dont end up in a cycle
actually i dont think shell scripts, batch files or exec commands in fps games prevent self calling ... probably all of them are based on the assumption that the guy writing them is pc literate
Quote from Warper :No i don't. I have version U9 installed. The association is also pointing to the right version... I tried it manual and then with CrazyICE's tool. Same result.

When you start LFS what does it say next to the exit/close button "LFS S2 ALPHA ....... © 2002-2006" What is the text in place of ......?
Into what directory you have installed LFS? In what directory is the spr/mpr you're trying to play?
Run the bat inside the zip I attached, it will create 3 text files to your desktop, post the text files here.
Attached files
lfs_fileasso_check.zip - 268 B - 145 views
btw is there any way to associate files with multiple exes ? i have like 4 lfs folders which are in regular use and another 10 with obsolete versions or for testing purposes
with the new patch i might be able to cut those down to two

btw scawen will the new patch support either car/class specific settings for head movement/g or modifying those values via a batch file ?
Yes there is, either use the open with function of windows explorer (but it gets confusing since all the entries will be the same) another option is to adapt the .reg I attached to your needs.

But all this prolly doesn't help you one bit, because the association only works in U7 (or was it U8...?) and later

edit: maybe I should explain what the .reg does..... the tweak will add a new entry to the menu when you right click a file type X or to all files if you keep the * in there.

edit2: Umm.. it would add the entry if it would work as I remembered... you need to put that to the same registry key as you have the association... uno momento

edit3: There, that actually works.... NB: if you didn't use CrazyICE's associator, you need to change the Live For Speed - SPR bits to spr_auto_file
Attached files
lfs many versions.zip - 312 B - 138 views
My god, I'm completely lost now. The more explaining that's done, the more baffled I get. So to bugger up everyone's day, I'm going to add to the mix, but only for the sake of clarification:-

I have a DFP.
I use the paddles for vehicles that use paddles.
I use the sequential shifter for road cars.
I use the Wingman profiler to assign the gearshift keystrokes to the sequential shifter, so that I don't have to edit controls in LFS.
I'm currently BUILDING a stick shift, which will use a USB joypad's button switches to select the gears.
When I've finished, I'm aiming to have my choice of controllers without the need to close and restart [a different install of] LFS.

Are there any changes coming to LFS.exe that will mess up, or help to achieve, the above?

At the moment, it looks like I need a second application running in the background to capture button presses, and direct them to keystrokes. Is assigning gears to joystick/pad buttons on the cards?
Quote from SamH :My god, I'm completely lost now.

Just think of it as different button confiuration files, or different profiles, changed thru /run'ing a file, such as /run change_to_paddles.txt, which should change your in-lfs-button-configuration to shift with the paddles.

So you'd have paddles.txt, sequential.txt and stickshift.txt, /run'ing them would switch the buttons/settings around so you wouldn't need to configure it yourself, change wingman profile, or run another copy of lfs
Quote from filur :Just think of it as different button confiuration files, or different profiles, changed thru /run'ing a file, such as /run change_to_paddles.txt, which should change your in-lfs-button-configuration to shift with the paddles.

Ahh.. hang on, I think I know where I was falling over. I'm thinking "configuration" and "batch" that I've seen mentioned, and transposing that to mean launching "LFS.exe /configfile.txt".

So the configuration files can be summoned IN-game, rather than at launch? In which case, with a tiny bit of work I could change configurations by hitting Fkey, or Ctrl+Fkey?
Quote from DeXteRrBDN :BTW, with U9 patch I get a "No track selected" message and does not appear the "select a track" page as selecting "single player" when trying to start a server in multiplayer mode. I think should appear the "select a track" page too.

I don't know if you have read this, probably yes , but I had to quote myself, so it's a bit annoying to me. I use to start a multiplayer server when loading LFS.
#259 - KTy
Quote from Scawen :Well I was thinking that when you load the FXO it would try to run both FXO.txt and shifter.txt

So you can choose what you want to use, and that would avoid having scripts calling scripts (which is harder to code).

Good Combining every request, we are moving slowly toward *my* request
The ideal thing for me would be to add a *single* new entry in each car settings that would point on a txt file containing various settings... The default name could be straightforward like fx0.txt, uf1.txt,...etc
The file could contains, as previously discussed, command to switch the control settings, but could also have the ability to change the view settings (FOV, angles, camera position,... for example) and other things I can't think of right now

Good stuff !!
What? No patch U10 yet?
Would it not be easier to execute the batch file automatically(if there exists one) when selecting a certain car and if needed the /run command would still be available to change batch files.
Yes I'm changed my mind a little and now I think that allowing scripts to call scripts will be the best option, and on loading any car it will attempt to run the script file UF1.txt FOX.txt or whatever.

If you want to switch key or button assignments you can either list them in the [CAR].txt file or inseart a line like /run shifter or /run paddle into your [CAR].txt files.
Quote from SamH :My god, I'm completely lost now. The more explaining that's done, the more baffled I get. So to bugger up everyone's day, I'm going to add to the mix, but only for the sake of clarification:-

I have a DFP.
I use the paddles for vehicles that use paddles.
I use the sequential shifter for road cars.
I use the Wingman profiler to assign the gearshift keystrokes to the sequential shifter, so that I don't have to edit controls in LFS.
I'm currently BUILDING a stick shift, which will use a USB joypad's button switches to select the gears.
When I've finished, I'm aiming to have my choice of controllers without the need to close and restart [a different install of] LFS.

Are there any changes coming to LFS.exe that will mess up, or help to achieve, the above?

At the moment, it looks like I need a second application running in the background to capture button presses, and direct them to keystrokes. Is assigning gears to joystick/pad buttons on the cards?

No you won't need anything like that.

And with the configuration you are talking about, you wouldn't even need any batch files either.

Because :

1) Your shifter would use a unique set of buttons
2) Your paddle shifters use a unique set of buttons
3) Your sequential stick uses the wheel driver to send gear shift keypresses

You only need to use batch files when you have more than one function assigned to a particular button (when driving a different car) or more than one button + one keypress to activate a function.

As said before, most people won't need to use batch files, but when they start saying "oh, in this configuration, this button is unused but I'd love it to do this or that" then they will be able to write a little batch file to get what they want.
so what about g force view setting via batch files ?
changing them all the time annoyed me enough to create an lfs folder solely for the formulas
would be awesome if they were changed on the fly when switching cars
No more requests please, my aim is to get U10 out this evening. There is a lot in it already and more requests will just confuse me. Better to see what's in U10 and then discuss what needs to be added for U11. That way, I don't need to keep taking extra notes between now and U10.
Quote from Scawen :No you won't need anything like that.

And with the configuration you are talking about, you wouldn't even need any batch files either.

Because :

1) Your shifter would use a unique set of buttons
2) Your paddle shifters use a unique set of buttons
3) Your sequential stick uses the wheel driver to send gear shift keypresses

You only need to use batch files when you have more than one function assigned to a particular button (when driving a different car) or more than one button + one keypress to activate a function.

As said before, most people won't need to use batch files, but when they start saying "oh, in this configuration, this button is unused but I'd love it to do this or that" then they will be able to write a little batch file to get what they want.

WIKKID!
Once we're familiar with the process ourselves, we can help each other develop combinations and means of meeting needs. Brilliant step forward! Awesome!
c'mon guys, give Scawen tea break or something

:spam4:
When is the "compatible patch phase" sheduled to end? [Choose: After U11, only small or necessary things after U11, I still have some things on my mind for U12]
(Just so that we get an impression of what kind of suggestions have a chance of getting in a compatible patch and which don't)

Would changes to the sound-engine go into the compatible patch category?

Vain
-
(Lible) DELETED by Lible : Better not annoy Scawen
I can't wait for U10. I also use a DFP and would like to use the paddles for shifting in the formula cars and the sequential stick in the GTR cars (using the paddles for view left/right). It sounds like the new [CAR].txt system will allow me to do exactly what I want. And it should be perfect for the new Logitech wheel/shifter/pedals that are coming out in October.

Thanks in advance, Scawen!
Quote from Scawen :SHIFT+S never worked from the autocross editor (aka SHIFT+U mode) - it's a completely different sub-process, not just a view.

Skins only don't load if they are not already in memory and you are still driving. If you stop, their skins will be reloaded. This is to avoid you experiencing a lag and crashing your car while their skin loads.

think you're wrong about that, sometimes i get a lag while someones skin was just applied... can be wrong here but i always tought it was because of that.

regards
when driving? I don't think my LFS downloaded skins while driving.
I think I just realised why my LFS freezes for a split second occasionally when I pull over - I'm not just talking about going to the pits, I just mean coming to a standstill on the track, or in for a pitstop.

It must be when someone's joined with an unseen skin and LFS seizes the opportunity, while I'm stationary, to download it. It only happens occasionally and now I think I understand why. Another bit of really fine and well thought out coding, yet again!
Am I missing something? If I wish to change the gear config from the paddles to the stick on my DFP, I just change the assignment in the controls option screen.

Is this new batch/txt thing adding some extra functionality? Or is it just to make the swapping take less than the 10 seconds it currently might?
Quote from dontsimon :Am I missing something?

Yes... it maybe be best to read from the top of page 7.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=157348#post157348

In some people's case it might save a 10 second button assignment, yes. But in others it might save a minute or two each time they change car. And the batch / script / command file system could be a powerful tool for many other things in the future as well, not just changing your LFS setup for each car.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG