The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :More lateral offset available for internal mirror (from 0.250 m to 0.300 m)

Thx!

hm...
Maybe 400?
Scawen, is it possible to add to OutGauge the speed of wheels? It would be more realistic to measure speed as in the real cars.
Hi all

Thanks Scawen for latest patches great work as always

Encountered a problem although i believe it is my pc and not with LFS. I cannot set the file associations. When i get to the list to choose the program to open it with, i browse and find lfs.exe and click it but it doesnt appear in the list or set it, it just puts me back where i was trying to open the files with the recommended programs.

Either my list is full (cant figure out how to delete programs from it) or possibly i have some required service stopped (killed everything not required many moons ago)

Have tried with LFS open and closed. Patched direct from U to U9. Have tried all 3 file types and it is the same for all.

Downloading a set from inferno opening with LFS copys it fine so i know it is not LFS but i cannot work out why the program list doesnt work.

Anyone have any ideas. Got me stumped. I can live without it for sure but thought i would post here in case anyone else has experienced this and figured it out.

[edit] i am able to add other programs to my list it appears just not LFS so maybe it is a problem with U9.[/edit]

[2nd edit] tried U8 and it appears to be the same. Back to thinking it is my PC setup [/edit]
Quote from detail :Scawen, is it possible to add to OutGauge the speed of wheels? It would be more realistic to measure speed as in the real cars.

The speedos on the cars should read wheelspeed as well....

Pretty please? With cherries on top?
Quote from Scawen :I am reluctant to do that. I guess most people would like to use the same FOV so they have the same feeling, regardless of which car they are in. The problem with a setting like that is then you MUST set it separately for every car. So we end up needing a new option "use same FOV for all cars".

speaking of which ... why is the fov different for a few cars by default ? the gtrs seem to have a much higher fov than the roadcars theyre based on
Eh?

I think the point is that right now the FOV for all cars is the same since there is only one FOV setting? Or did I miss something?
Quote from Scawen :I will consider this overnight. It won't be in today's version.

Thx
Attachment shows what I meant with "views like setups".
Attached images
views_like_setups.jpg
I find it odd people use different FOV settings for different cars. I find I like to keep the sense of proportion consistent, as the sensation of speed and distance is changed so much as FOV is altered.

I understood the need when position inside the car was less configurable, but now that driver and wheel can be removed in the custom view (At last! Been waiting for MONTHS for this, tx Scawen) you can get whatever position inside the car you want in order to see mirrors etc, and keep FOV consistent.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :The speedos on the cars should read wheelspeed as well....

Yes, the better way would be to change the gauge reading, not add wheels to OutGauge.

Does anyone have any info about how this is done on various cars? There are probably different ways of doing it and I'd like to know more before implementing anything. Is it normally related to the drive shaft speed in modern cars? Do some cars use the ABS / TC wheel speed sensors? Was there an "old" way of doing it? On most motorcyles there is a small gear attached to the front wheel hub, connected to a rotating cable, but I doubt that any cars use a "one wheel" system like that...

So a bit of history and some examples would be helpful.
I like the idea of custom made views very much
Pleaease Scawen
Quote from Scawen :Yes, the better way would be to change the gauge reading, not add wheels to OutGauge.

Does anyone have any info about how this is done on various cars? There are probably different ways of doing it and I'd like to know more before implementing anything. Is it normally related to the drive shaft speed in modern cars? Do some cars use the ABS / TC wheel speed sensors? Was there an "old" way of doing it? On most motorcyles there is a small gear attached to the front wheel hub, connected to a rotating cable, but I doubt that any cars use a "one wheel" system like that...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer
Quote from dontsimon :I find it odd people use different FOV settings for different cars.

I always change it in the BF1 so I can see the mirrors. Actually I've all but stopped driving the BF1 because I can't hit corners properly with the FoV wide enough to see the mirrors.
You can now change seat position in custom view, and remove driver / wheel. FOV can be set as seperate to viewing (seating) position.
So adjust the "seat position"/"head camera"/view offsets, whatever, backwards, so the near-side mirror comes into view, and use the rear view mirror offset to get that into view, and you can happily use an FOV of 70 in all cars and see everything.... except what gear you are in (a fault with most cars irrelevant of what view settings you are using).

No need for separate FOVs IMO, that's just weird - like some people on this forum.

And I type too slow/too much.
Quote from Scawen :Yes, the better way would be to change the gauge reading, not add wheels to OutGauge.

Well, I can post a lot more later (at work right now... bad me...) but the important thing is that most vehicle speed sensors are located on the output side of the transmission, thus reading driveshaft speed.

edit: quick glance at the WIKI site link from above confirms this.

Sounds like as usual, you're doings things the long (correct) way!
i vote for wheelspeed too! its more realist to me and it gives better indication of how much you are wheelspinning!
could have an option to use either real speed or wheels speed i guess for people that likes it the "old" way (if its ever implemented)
Yup, most cars new or old have a speedo cable attached to either the driven wheel hub or the output side of the gearbox. A few use the ABS wheel speed sensors. It is rare for a car to use an undriven wheel as the source. Didn't read the wiki, but I can't imagine it says otherwise.
Yeah most are just a reading from the output of the transmission where the axle ratio and tire size are assumed to be constants and factored in to get ground speed, having the speeds read from that instead of the 'actual speed' like it is now would be really cool.
The trouble is they assume a constant slip ratio, which couldn't be further from the truth, hence are always incorrect.
Can the setups be "cut" rather than copied? They copy fine but they leave the original there which seems rather pointless?
Quote from Bob Smith :The trouble is they assume a constant slip ratio, which couldn't be further from the truth, hence are always incorrect.

Oh Bob...
Fantastic update!
Quote from sil3ntwar :Can the setups be "cut" rather than copied? They copy fine but they leave the original there which seems rather pointless?

Not really because it's normally for copying from a website.

One problem I have with it when getting one from a website is it seems to add [1] before the extension.

For example if I say to Windows "Yes I want to open the file setup.set from its current location". Then LFS will save it as "setup[1].set". It's not an LFS bug, it happens with other things like text files and notepad. Does anyone else get that problem?
I've noticed IE always does that when saving stuff from the web, but Firefox doesn't - maybe find out what FF is doing? I always thought it was something to do with the way IE's cache works.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG