The online racing simulator
TEST Patch U7 (to U9) optional + compatible with U
Hello Racers.

NOTE : You do not need this Optional TEST Patch, unless you have Windows Vista or you want to try the other small improvements in the patch. It's fully compatible (hotlaps and online) with the current version U. It is simple to install, just replace your LFS.exe with the new LFS.exe in the zip file.

One interesting improvement is that file associations now work. That means if you set SPR and MPR files to be opened with LFS, then you can run any MPR or SPR (replays) from any location (including a website) just by double clicking it. EDIT : Now in U9, you can also associate SET files with LFS and then double clicking any setup will copy it to your LFS settings folder.

How to set up the file associations (Windows XP example) :

> Right click an SPR file
> Select "Properties"
> Click the "Change..." button beside "Opens with:"
> Browse for and select LFS.exe in your main LFS folder
> Do the same again with an MPR file [ EDIT : and a SET file ]

Then you can run any replay just by double clicking it.

Another useful feature is the new Super Fast Start
Options... Misc... "Intro and exit screen" select [skip]
Then no track will be loaded when you run LFS.

Download (Version U must be already installed) :

EDIT : Now changed to U8 to fix the U7 black screen bug reported in following posts.
EDIT2 : Now changed to U9 for various improvements, listed below.

www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_U9_TEST.zip

Full list of changes since U :

Skip intro option now avoids loading track
LFS can now handle SPR and MPR file associations
Separate custom view settings for all cars
Draw driver/wheel option now in custom views
Custom views now stored in data\views folder
RCM now has priority over finished messages
Driver's body optimisation was too sensitive
Welcome and Tracks filename can be up to 31 chars

FIX : Can now unlock on Windows Vista
FIX : Rare crash in blue flags calculation

Additional Changes in U9 :

FIX : Unlocking on Vista should now work correctly
FIX : Start replay with click brings LFS to foreground
FIX : Formula dash live settings now work in custom view
FIX : OutGauge now works on remote cars / MPR / external

Added SET file association (copy set to folder)
More lateral offset available for internal mirror
Scroll bar added if more than 7 players in list
Unlocking S2 automatically sets to skip intro

[ EDIT : U10 Update http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=9659 ]
#2 - Jakg
downloading now, thanks for the file alocations! just deleted all my replays tho so i cant see if the ones ive set up work!
Quote from Scawen :
Browse for and select LFS.exe in your mail LFS folder

First reply!

Downloading now.

The file associations will come in real useful
downloading now now now!
#5 - Jakg
Quote from duke_toaster :First reply!

mwahahaha i think not feeble Human!
Many thanks

Will test Later tonight , i Have Vista64 , but godamn it , my 3com card isnt supported :S , so it still needs unlocking Gonna see if i can get hands on somthing that is
Cheers Scawen, some smart improvements here. Works fine so far under XP...
Thanks!!!
I especially like Super fast start!!!
It's been getting on my nerves lately...
Ooooooh, another little patch - thanks Scawen. Will give it a test later, but I doubt there will be any problems with it.
Oops, spoke too soon:

When I SHIFT+F4 to window it, then go back to fullscreen, I get a crash report from Windows followed by a black screen. Have to shut LFS down with a three-finger salute.

Nothing showing up in Event Viewer. I'm using an R9800 Pro running Cat 5.13

Windows error report: AppName: mmaceprev.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.2 ModName: mmaceprev.exe
ModVer: 1.0.0.2 Offset: 00001510

(mmaceprev.exe is some catalyst control center prog. apparently?)

Deb.log looks fine:
LFS : 0.5U7
timer resolution 1 ms
read config
get command line
preinit d3d
number of adapters : 1
adapter 0 - valid modes : 136
load bans
load font
max texture size 2048
can do shadows
can use 2x tex
can do multi tex
can use dynamic tex
can use compressed tex
create english file
kb : Latin 1
initialisations
human system
init sound
tables
helmet
init controllers
default light map
load objects
start intro
end of initialisation
shutting down
free objects
free languages
free controllers
clear light map
close sound
free humans
free font
free helmet
free host list
kill graphics
save calibrations
free mouse
save config
EXIT

I've never had a problem with any previous LFS installation, I've run every patch since S2... N I think it was.

Edit: BTW: My system does change resolution when I window LFS - going from 1024x768 in-game to 1280x960 desktop. Don't know if that's important...

Edit again: LFS is still running, it's just my video dies. Just tried it on-track and I can still hear my FZ50 when I hit the throttle but I just can't see it.

Edit yet again, bit more info: If I start LFS in windowed mode I can switch between fullscreen and windowed without a problem. If I start LFS fullscreen and then switch to windowed, the video dies when I go back to fullscreen. Odd.
#11 - Jakg
since when did U stop being compatible with S and T?

EDIT - I only remember this from U6 btw, U normal worked fine
When joining an online game I just get a black screen. I can click buttons and hear cars but I just can't see anything

Good patch apart from that
oh dear we are in trouble.....
#14 - Jakg
erm, did the windowed>full screen thing, it crashed, but the other monitors (have 3 monitors plugged in) were perfectly usable and i could still use it, btw, running on a AMD 4000+ 64 with a 6600 GT using 91.37 Beta drivers
"LFS is already playing a replay"

If it's smart enough to tell me that, shouldn't it be smart enough to quit the previous replay and start playing a new one?

Edit: No problems with R9700, Catalyst 5.10
Works here, no sight of the probs posted above. Geforce 4 TI4400 w/ ForceWare 91.31. Single Monitor, desktop 1280x1024x32@70Hz LFS 1024x768x32@75Hz
#17 - Jakg
if Scawen really needs a screenie of the crash i can try, but it might have to be with my digi cam!
Quote from Leifde :When joining an online game I just get a black screen. I can click buttons and hear cars but I just can't see anything

Good patch apart from that

Same here
Thanks for this patch File associations is something I've been waiting for, in fact it was very needed
However, I've noticed two small problems already:

- When LFS is already running but minimized and you double click a new replay in the Windows Explorer, LFS doesn't regain focus
- In the end of the replay right after the laptime showed up and the replay was about to finish, I hit "End Race" and ended up in a blank main menu screen. No buttons, no fonts, just the background image. LFS seemd to go into idle mode then, I couldn't bring the menu back up. I tried open another replay by double clicking but a message box showed up saying that LFS was waiting for the entry screen or something the like...
I managed to reproduce it twice, but I'm not exactly sure how I did it. It might have to do with trying to end the replay when it is just about to finish.

FYI: I have disabled the intro and exit screen (which is very nice in terms of speedup), maybe it has something to do with it?
#20 - Jakg
ah, i cant get the U6 exe cos Scawen removed the link, back to U i go then!
Quote from birder :Same here

same here also, tried several servers, i can do all the commands and hit all the buttons but just get a blackscreen. It won't go either, only way i can quit is by guessing where menu buttons are...lucky for me i could play lfs blind.

EDIT: i got a league race in 40 mins, can someone post a link to the U6 patch asap please
One more general issue: when you're in the replays screen and try to open a replay via double click in the Windows Explorer, LFS refuses to open it and shows a message box saying: "LFS must be waiting in entry screen"
works fine on xp getting my pc upgraded soon i will know more info tommorw about how soon my pc getting upgraded.
File associations work, but unlocking on Win XP Pro x64 does not. I was greeted with an "Unknown command" message, every time I tried unlocking. Not a problem really in the end as I have the x86 edition installed too. On that all the listed updates work.
power comes back on and we get a patch.. hm.. i wonder if i should go run over the power lines and see if when the power comes back we get another patch lol

cool beans, we finally get some stuff thats been asked for for so long
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG